Ligonier Valley Model RR Home Tour – May 3

Home Forums LUG discussions Ligonier Valley Model RR Home Tour – May 3

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I was approached at the Greenberg show back in November by Richard from the Ligonier Valley Rail Road Association. They host an annual one-day fundraiser where they have open houses at the homes of members with O- and N-scale model train displays. They also have displays at a fire hall in Latrobe, and have invited us to display there.

This could be a good way to expand our range Eastward (and hype the Westmoreland Museum of Art event which will happen in July!) Richard says they have good coverage by the Tribune-Review and smaller local papers in Latrobe and surrounding towns, and that he could probably arrange for interviews and photos of our work with reporters from those papers. It’s also a good opportunity to earn some event support brick from LEGO (and PAB cups for yourselves for staffing!)

This is on Saturday May 3, the weekend after Philly Brick Fest.) Setup would be Friday evening after 5 PM and Saturday morning from 7:30-9:00 (when the show starts.) They have offered us passes to visit the various homes with model train displays, so we can take turns staffing and exploring throughout the day, or those who staff in the morning can check out the other locations in the afternoon and vice versa.

Please sign up on the Doodle to indicate your availability. Given that we can probably pretty much re-use the PBF display, this shouldn’t require much in the way of building commitment, so as long as we have setup / teardown and staff, we’ll be in good shape.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Sounds good. I should be available all day on Saturday and have put that on the Doodle. My initial suggestion is that this should be a “train-centric” display along the lines of the Trolley Museum display. Maybe even go a bit smaller than that one and try to pack in a huge amount of details (use MILS, etc.).

Josh
    Keymaster

how big is the space? is it at the actual museum? the museuem seems extremely small. http://www.lvrra.org/

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

They also have displays at a fire hall in Latrobe, and have invited us to display there.

Richard told me they should have plenty of room for us at Huber Hall. I didn’t commit to anything definite, but told him there was a decent chance we’d use roughly 20 x 20′. They have your standard 6′ tables, so we can probably work with that.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Just bumped PBF thread; bumping this thread, as well – it’s the weekend after PBF, so we’ll need to be ready for both events come the last week of April – and we could use more help!

So far, Tim and I are planning to go Friday evening to set up, and Dan plans to join the two of us in staffing the display on Saturday. We’d love to have a few more people to hang out / trade off shifts (so we can go see the other train displays!), and we’d certainly like to have some more folks contribute trains / buildings / whatever* to the display – even if you can’t be there for the event, we’ll take good care of your stuff.

* – this display should definitely be train-centric, but I think we could easily add some flavor, like the superheroes we had at Greenberg / Santa Trolley, or some Spacey stuff, or whatever yinz can think of!

Use the Doodle if you think you can attend, and give a shout if you can contribute some rolling stock or anything else to the display.

Tim

I would love to have one of Dan’s monorails in this display also if available (everyone loves the Monorail).

I am planning on bringing most of my town buildings (including a few that I do not think have been displayed in PA before) and as much black brick road as I can have built. I will also contribute my trains (Santa Fe and Maersk). Hopefully we can also get one of our HE trains running as well.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I would love to have one of Dan’s monorails in this display also if available (everyone loves the Monorail).

Crud, I already used the Simpsons Monorail song on the PBF thread. But yea, between Dan’s and my monorail stuff (although I haven’t built a sweet MOC vehicle… yet…) we should be able to do something.

If Laura or Ben or Evan can’t send their Horizon Expresses, maybe I can get mine power functioned. Definitely wouldn’t hurt to have a few to rotate throughout the day.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Here are some shiny train photos from my recent trip to California to get yinz’all excited about building for the LVRR display!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Matt Redfield.
    Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Here’s a Maersk Intermodal double stack.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Three trains at once (Main I, Main II, and siding.)

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Another look at the Santa Fe loco.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

And my favorite one – Locomotives from three different Class I Railroads working together.

Everything is awesome!

Now that you’re excited, go sign up on the Doodle to help staff the event! And tell us what you’re building!

Everything is cool when you’re part of a team!

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

bummp, to get things back on track (pun intended)

You working on a layout matt? bluebrick file? who else is staffing/contributing? I’d like to get as much done here online before our Q2 meeting.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Theoretically, yes, I’m doing all the things.

In actuality, I’ve been having some issues, personally, these past few weeks, so I’ve been a bit lax in my duties for PBF and LVRR.

So yeah, let’s get cracking.

Based on the Doodle, we’re so far still a little light on attendees. I think it’s feasible with Tim, Dan, and I, but I’d love to see a few more people come along. Any of you Eastern folk think you can make it? Should be a low pressure, fun event – especially if we can reuse portions of the PBF display to make this one happen!

Dan
    Participant

The monorail will be available. Currently the footprint for the main building is 3×32 by 2×32. Adding some necessary switches will increase the length, but curves can be used to minimize the size in this direction. With curves the length is 32 x 2 + 8 x 2.

Josh
    Keymaster

Tim, have you taken inventory of your roads and shared a build guide yet? I remember us talking about it, but I havent seen anything.

I remember seeing yours were black, but looking at pennlug, they use dark bley for their roads. not a big problem, just something to think about as we work on a road standard.

Hopefully a layout will come along for this display to know what we need and what we have…

Tim

Tim, have you taken inventory of your roads and shared a build guide yet?

No, I have not. We’ve discussed it several times but I do need to get around to posting guidelines for building compatible roads.

test
    Participant

Hi there!

I know it’s PBF time and everyone is busy, but wanted to check in and see if we can start discussing details for next weekend. Ben and I can help setup on Friday and staff on Saturday. (As reflected in the Doodle.) But what’s up with the layout? Who is bringing what?

I’m really only asking this to get the conversation going again. I don’t contribute much in original build, but I think it would be nice if we knew exactly how much space the LUG has, what the setup plan is and who is bringing what.

Thanks!
    Susie (who is really good at telling kids not to touch things)

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

This is yet another discussion that I somehow failed to subscribe to and had to catch up on. I’m also aware that you guys are busy with the PhillyBrickFest (post pics!), but it looks like the way the schedule is, you guys are gonna have to start thinking about this one as soon as you get back on Monday. So here’s the update from Ben:

I’m planning on being there to help setup and to monitor. Unless you didn’t need my display stuff, in which case I probably won’t come to setup. But I’ll still come out on Saturday.

My six baseplates of display are still available to be part of the setup. I have not had time to redesign the observation platform or the landscaping around it, so it still suffers from the same sticky-outy problems as before. The chess game and the fountain are still there, but the small road going around the Palace Cinema has been removed. For this display, I will probably just cover that space with grass, and then move flowers and people there – my area was definitely congested with things like chicken stands and musicians last time, so it won’t hurt to spread them out a bit. The cars that were on the road have been dismantled are not availble to use elsewhere.

I also apocaclarenced my Palace Cinema, but Susie has one and it should be assembled in time to use. It means it will just be the standard PC and won’t have the extra floor this time, unless somebody else has one to contribute. Some or all of Susie’s Fire Hall is still available too. I did also dismantle my Horizon Express, I figured there’s no shortage of trains around here, so I sorted the pieces already.

Another option is I can cover that corner of my area with more grass (I have plenty of green plates) and trees and people, and let you guys put Susie’s PC elsewhere, if the layout calls for it.

I am unlikely to have anything else built in time for the display. I think that’s all I got for now.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Thanks so much for being on top of this, and for being able to participate!

I don’t have time or energy to go into detail tonight, but basically, Tim, Laura, and I planned to be there Friday evening to set up; and Tim, Dan W. and I planned to be there Saturday to do finishing touches & staff… more are welcome both days, of course! We have a lot of flexibility there, so we’re not too worried about a BlueBrick layout – we figure just bring anything town/train-y, and we’ll use a lot of Tim and Laura’s track to make it happen. We can work with the Observation Platform (and should have more room to make sure we don’t bump it…)

I will regroup on Monday and get into more details with all of yinz.

Tim

Matt and I briefly discussed layout possibilities earlier this week. Basically, we were going to go with a pretty straight-forward elongated double oval layout, similar to the main table area we had at The Trolley Museum in December. I’ll try to put together a BlueBrick prelim layout today or tomorrow and post it. But really, whatever town stuff anyone can bring, we’ll work it in. 🙂

Josh
    Keymaster

thinking ahead, ben’s 6 are MILS’d, incase that’s a factor to be considered.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Ok, we both signed up on the doodle, and as of right now we’re just planning on showing up Friday evening with all our Lego stuff.

Tim

Here is a VERY preliminary layout. It has two ovals and I have just started playing with the baseplates. I can cover one of the interiors of and oval with my town buildings. We could continue to try to play with this layout or just show up with whatever we have on Friday evening and put it together on the fly.

… ok the Bitmap does not seem to be showing up properly so I am going to attach the .bmp file itself. Let’s see if that works.

Also, what time were people thinking about leaving for Latrobe on Friday? I probably can’t leave Cranberry until around 5:30-6:00 pm. So I can be in Latrobe by around 7:00 pm, leaving me 2 hours to assist with set up.

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by Tim.
    Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Tim, I can’t download your file, I just get a rectangle of text saying the file name. I seem to remember this happened once before, and I can’t remember how it was resolved.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar