North Pole Section of Winter Display

Home Forums LUG discussions North Pole Section of Winter Display

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Nice trees. I can dig ’em.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

some brick built evergreen-type trees

Good idea creating more trees. It will be fun to see this all come together. 🙂

Tim

Not sure which forum this belongs in, but I’ve been trying my hand at some brick built evergreen-type trees. (I’ve spent enough already and don’t need to be going out and buying lots of foliage!) I’ll winterize these and also add snow to the knarly trees from the medieval village. I figure it’ll look best if we mix different types of tree.

Great trees! Different types through the display will look good. I’m planning on some green trees with white foliage pieces mixed in and also some brick built bare trees. Lots of different types will make for great eye candy.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Do I need to bring anything that pertains to the North Pole / forest / Winter Village section on Saturday?

Also, Tim I am currently finishing a North Pole warehouse that is about two baseplates (64 x 33) with an entrance in the middle of the long side that is about (8 x 14).

Josh
    Keymaster

Bring anything you want me to help coordinate into the display, or at least dimension to have it represented. Anything you want to be able to fit or position against something else, I’d recommend bringing.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Its a matter of both car space (I will be bringing slave labor) and not wanting to transport MOC’s just to have to repair them.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

(I will be bringing slave labor)

Yes. YEEEEES.

Its a matter of both car space…and not wanting to transport MOC’s just to have to repair them.

Too true. I figured I’d bring Father Time (per our discussion, Greg, to see if / how we can use him as the foundation of the mountain…) and as much brick as I can fit (because I haven’t built anything else for the display yet), but I know Dan is gunning for a ride & has stuff to bring as well… might get crowded in my Camry.

And we learned with the Future Tenant display that even my solidly-built cubes are susceptible to breaking up if handled without care…

Josh
    Keymaster

Just strap them to roof…

You’ll want all the lego inside so it doesn’t get wet.

So, yeah, 2d sketches on 1:1 paper cutout will do fine for you, I’d think.

Track is the only thing I think we need to have in person to make sure we have enough and that our loops are not too long to power.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Would anyone like to build a compass rose for the North Pole? All the arrows should have an “S” on them. I’m not kidding, it would be great if someone built this.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Would anyone like to build a compass rose for the North Pole? All the arrows should have an “S” on them. I’m not kidding, it would be great if someone built this.

Fantastic idea; you’re thinking brick built into, say, a plaza to go in front of Santa’s workshop or something to that effect? With lettering worked in kind of like the year on the front of the Town Hall, perhaps?

I’m not going to say I can do it, because I have a mountain to build. But someone should totally do this!

Tim

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gregory Schubert wrote:</div>

Fantastic idea; you’re thinking brick built into, say, a plaza to go in front of Santa’s workshop or something to that effect? With lettering worked in kind of like the year on the front of the Town Hall, perhaps?

It could be the “tree skirt” to your giant Christmas tree! All points from the Tree being South. I think that is how they did it in the Polar Express movie. I will not commit to doing it at this point but if I can somehow finish everything else early, I will try to give this a shot. Great idea, Greg!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Two starting points for the compass rose are pictured below. Did you have an idea for a better way to do this Tim? The lighting is bad, both feature a black “S” on a yellow background. Maybe rounded plates would be better for the example with studs up. If I knew a good way to cut a 1×1 plate diagonally, I’d be very tempted!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

cheese slopes work well for that.

Tim

The brick built on its side looks better than the studs up version.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

cheese slopes work well for that.

The brick built on its side looks better than the studs up version.

I concur, on both counts.

Brick built SNOT is, of course, more complicated, though…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I saw a cargo set that would go perfectly with the North Pole warehouse, but I am still recovering from the sticker shot : $40 for a small truck and a forklift.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=60020-1

Amazon has it for $28.49, but still, what is this world coming to?

I emailed Cale from PennLUG about getting Polar Express stickers and did not hear back at all. They had their LUG meeting Saturday. Anyone have a better connection with eastern PA LEGO builders?

Josh
    Keymaster

I’d say cale would have been the best bet specifically for the stickers…anytime i need something from the east, I email cale and mike (lego-dog on this site) macleod. You just asked how to make them or if he could do some for you?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I asked if I could pay someone to make the stickers for me. Guess I need to try again.

Josh
    Keymaster

oh, and what parts don’t you have for that set? I could dig up a bunch, I’m sure.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I looked at it, I could probably make a truck, but the one in the set is green and it has the big cargo symbol that matches the shelves I made and it has a forklift which matches the one Hanna has.

But I’ve got forklifts, so I should probably be more judicious. I did buy the race car transport truck because the whole thing is green and its bigger and it only cost $25 and it has a red, white and green racecar too! Santa would look HOT in the racecar, even at the North Pole

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=60025-1

Btw, I’ve been building so much this weekend I can feel that my index finger fingertips are worn down. 😛

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I email cale and mike (lego-dog on this site) macleod.

I sent my message to an address that started with “automechanic”. If you have a better address, could you please let them know we would like to buy Polar Express stickers (six total) for three passenger cars that are 40 studs long in sky blue.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Is there any way to upload a video? I guess I’d have to put it on youtube and provide a link, right?

Josh
    Keymaster

youtube or something – no current way to this site directly.

There are no food and drink policies that I’m aware of. You’re welcome to bring your own, or concessions will be open during show hours Saturday and Sunday.

It’s okay to use flocking, but please make sure you clean all of it off of the floor before the show opens Saturday (so it doesn’t get tracked
    around) and before you leave on Sunday night. If you don’t mind keeping it tidy and cleaning it up, we don’t mind you having it.

Personally, I’d say no flocking. Just another thing to set up and clean up and we lose the ability to summarize the display as “only lego parts” (aside from the stickers).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

My first ever video uploaded to youtube:

But this one is much more entertaining:

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Personally, I’d say no flocking. Just another thing to set up and clean up and we lose the ability to summarize the display as “only lego parts” (aside from the stickers).

I concur.

And, Greg, stop making me feel like a n00b by making awesome MOC after awesome MOC! I’m gonna be lucky to have a halfway decent pile of rocks, and you just built a GBC on top of all your other contributions…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar