Roller coaster

Home Forums LUG discussions Roller coaster

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Keep me updated on your impressions of the kit. Let me know what others think.

Perhaps you can tell that this is being built on a lab table. I have a student building it who loves it so far!

Tim

I have a student building it

Free manual labor. Awesome! Like when I can get my kids to help build repetitive sections of buildings. :-p

Greg Schubert
    Participant

There were 194 tiny cable links … there were four kids greedily grabbing up parts to attach to their own length of chain. 🙂

I am going to test it out with lights on next week. I just discovered that you can put two light bricks back to back on a 2×4 plate and they will both stay lit!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

The CYCLONE model of the roller coaster is finished. A little tweaking was required to get the chain / lift mechanism to work properly. The students (mostly boys) have been fascinated by it. I have not tried the lights on the cars yet. By the way, this standard model is already 48 inches long. I plan to bring it fully assembled to the next LUG meeting.

Jack, were you planning to design the entire Thunderbolt? Would you do this coaster design in a virtual environment in which you could you add green support structures where we would have to build the terrain?

Jack Rimer
    Participant

Did you have issues with the train staying engaged on the lift? If so, (common problem) be sure to look at step 23. You probably didn’t add the intermediate crossties between the stationary crossties on the lift.
    I could design the Thunderbolt on perhaps a wooden base. I would need you all to build terrain over the base and add all scenery.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

We put in extra cross ties on the incline and it definitely helped.

Also, we tried to put the lights on, but the sideways clearance was not enough when the train came back around close to the original track. That is one design problem that should be easy to avoid with the Thunderbolt model. I would really like to be able to use the lights on the finished product, especially after seeing the coaster track at Hersheypark Saturday night. 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I see Matt’s rollercoaster post has disappeared. Even before that, I’d noticed that no announcement of the set appears on TBB (and the article contains links to the Ideas Ship in a Bottle and the 2018 Speed Champions that are also unannounced, although it’s worth mentioning here that the ‘Ultimate Garage’ set contains two pieces of curved rollercoaster track), and that the photos are grainy. I’m speculating, so I could be wrong, but this tells me that this is an unauthorized announcement. Which could possibly mean then that once Matt realized that, he knew that as ambassador he shouldn’t be linking to such stuff, and therefore deleted the post. (I don’t know anything about that site, it’s the first time I’ve been there. I know that when TBB posts an announcement that they didn’t realize they shouldn’t have, Lego will ask them to take it down and they’ll comply without question.)

If all that’s true, then it’s possible it wasn’t a final photo. It definitely wasn’t what I’d expected though, it was a lot less rollercoaster and a lot more other stuff (which to me was a big disappointment). Maybe we’ll still get a much larger motorized rollercoaster down the line. This one does have the track in gray instead of purple, but it has no straight pieces and the only way to motorize it would be to use something like the system suggested used in that ‘How to motorize your Joker Manor’ video (and as a GBC guy, I found the technique they used to be far from ideal).

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Or you could do it this way. There’s a lot of photos of this one, but I still am not entirely certain how the actual tracks are operating. As far as I can tell, he’s using pieces of straight RC track, but a lot of them are curved in ways that to my knowledge could only be achieved by warping the parts to the desired shape by heating them up first. It’s an impressive build, but that’s definitely not something I have any interest in trying myself.

DSC_9824

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Which could possibly mean then that once Matt realized that, he knew that as ambassador he shouldn’t be linking to such stuff, and therefore deleted the post.

UGGGGHHHH STOPP CALLING ME OUT, YOU GUYS. (Stupid e-mail notifications…)

Yeah, that’s precisely it. I saw it on FB, got excited and posted it here before I even read it or paid attention to how clearly sketchy the images were (bad angles, a little blurry – very obviously not how TLG would present a new product intentionally / officially.) We’re not supposed to indulge in that sort of behavior, so I deleted it.

He knows he shouldn’t have posted it, too: “I know I’m risking minifigure life and limb in posting this since LEGO’s brick police may soon be breathing down my neck – but I couldn’t help it: this set is just too awesome to ignore.”

As soon as I read that, I was like “…oops…” and jumped back here to try and hide my tracks, but… well… yeah.

Don’t share stuff that’s not official, lads and lasses. We’re in pretty good standing with TLG right now – let’s keep it that way!

(But yes, I’m glad parts are getting out there – hopefully – but it’s still a LEGO set rather than a roller coaster set that’s compatible with LEGO, it seems, judging from the images we shouldn’t yet have seen…)

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

As far as I can tell, he’s using pieces of straight RC track, but a lot of them are curved in ways that to my knowledge could only be achieved by warping the parts to the desired shape by heating them up first. It’s an impressive build, but that’s definitely not something I have any interest in trying myself.

Yeah, that irks me more than a bit.

Eye of Sauron wave-swinger, tho:

DSC_9775

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Eh, if you posted it in good faith and then quickly corrected the error, I don’t see how they’re gonna hold that against you. I don’t have any problem with Lego not wanting unofficial stuff floating around, which is why I didn’t repost the link here. We’ll get the official announcement eventually.

I also just realized that my last post (with the brown rollercoaster) would have been better posted on the other Roller coaster thread – having two threads with the same name at the same time is not ideal – so I think I’m gonna delete it and post it on the other.

Josh
    Keymaster

bricking this topic back to life, with the comments of the jack rabbit from this thread: http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/roller-coaster/page/2/#post-25927

Greg, did you reach out to the jack rabbit person at all?

Any update on thunderbolt?

Jack Rimer
    Participant

It’s about that time of year…. Thoughts turn to Kennywood and summer picnics. 🙂
    My suggestion would be to get with the builder of the Jack Rabbit to discuss the size requirements for a base and ravine depth.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Greg, did you reach out to the jack rabbit person at all?

I don’t remember. I just posted a comment on his video now.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Any update on thunderbolt?

@skippermike
    has the CDX cyclone model

Jack Rimer
    Participant

Was the LUG group able to see the model and handle it?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Was the LUG group able to see the model and handle it?

I think it was at our LUG meeting in the Fall

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I think it was at our LUG meeting in the Fall

I believe it was our “Q4” meeting that was actually held on January 6. Everyone in attendance got a good look at it.

Skipper Mike
    Participant

Who else got their order in for the Creator Lego Roller Coaster this morning?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I saw on bricklink that some store in Germany already had 9 of them. It looks pretty cool.

Will McDine
    Participant

Who else got their order in for the Creator Lego Roller Coaster this morning?

Just got done placing my order!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I ordered mine. Because of this, there has been and continues to be a freeze on placing any BrickLink orders. It has been tough.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I had the order in the cart, but then I thought about the expense and wondered when the next double or triple point event might be. Anyone? From historical view, is there one coming before October?

Jack Rimer
    Participant

I just took a Cyclone, bought about $40 worth of parts from Bricklink, and Voila! Plus it has a loop. 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jack Rimer
    Participant

Someone has made the Thunderbolt with CDX Blocks. It’s the same guy who did the Jack Rabbit.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar