Roller Coaster

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Roller Coaster

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

pink beehives tho, who saw THAT coming?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> pink beehives tho, who saw THAT coming?

Space plants! We’ll have to see if that one shows up on LUGBulk next year.

The real question though is what roller coaster parts will show up on LB, and at what prices. An important thing to note here is that they did in fact come up with the ‘straight slope’ piece that’s key for both the ascension and big down slopes, but that piece currently only comes in red, whereas purple and especially light bley track pieces are gonna be a lot easier and cheaper to come by on BL. The idea of mixing track colors on a single coaster has little appeal to me.

Still, I’m super excited about this set, I have never used VIP early access in my life but I might have to do it for this one.

Phil Breneman
    Participant

It certainly looks really nice (apart from the stickers). At $380, I might have to sell off a few things first…

I am curious how much of the structure is necessary for stability and reliably and how much is for aesthetics.

Josh
    Keymaster

research material.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Pff, we can totally top that.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t technically count as a roller coaster unless the track is a continuous circuit, bringing the train back into the station at the end.

Also, those minifigs are totally dead after that launch / landing, even with the foam.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Has anybody seen this one? The tab has been sitting open on my browser for months and I can’t remember how I found it, I think just being on YouTube, since I don’t see a link for it in this thread or the other rollercoaster thread.

It’s pretty impressive. If you have the gray pirate coaster set, you know there’s an alternative build (which I never got around to building) where they use unconventional connection methods of lining up the track parts. Apparently it’s good enough for a smooth ride, cause they show this one in action:

Jack Rimer
    Participant

You guys should recognize this model. We are building it for the ASTRA toy show next week at the convention center in Pittsburgh. It will be displayed in the concourse of the convention center during the show. After that, Kennywood is taking possession of the model to promote The Steel Curtain at the park. Eventually it will be stored at the Heinz History Center with other park memorabilia. This really showcases what can be built with the CDX Blocks system. The model will be 16’ long and 52” tall. I still have another couple days of work to do on it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

ASTRA

I was curious, so I did some research:

ASTRA = American Specialty Toy Retailing Association
    http://www.pittsburghcc.com/events/american-specialty-toy-retailing-association-2019-marketplace-academy/

It would have cost $30 to register for this three day trade show (if you had registered by yesterday) and …

“Trade Show Only Includes:
    3 Days of Unopposed Trade Show Hours
    3 Lunches in the Exhibit Hall”

Josh
    Keymaster

Jack, where is it now? I was just at the history center and didn’t see it. I assume it’s at kennywood somewhere still.

Does the train get propelled to go through the full circuit somehow?

Skipper Mike
    Participant

Josh, it’s at the arcade in Kennywood. It’s in the back up on the wall.

Jack Rimer
    Participant

After the original lift, the model traverses the whole course via gravity. There is no boost or propulsion applied to the train. In fact, we have brakes to slow it down near the end because of the energy left over.

Jack Rimer
    Participant

Here is a video.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Jack Rimer.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Upload Errors:
    trim.138D4037-0386-4615-8372-53206A63D815.MOV: File exceeds allowed file size.

Aww…

…can you throw it up on YouTube or something?!?

Jack Rimer
    Participant

Jack Rimer
    Participant

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Getting my comments into the appropriate thread…

I think it’s high time we built a Steel Phantom model to scale, ravines and all. So we’re gonna need some landscaping bricks. And then we can do another one that’s the Phantom’s Revenge. And obviously the Thunderbolt will be in both models, because it’s the Thunderbolt.

(and maybe we can do a #RollerCoasterTunnelWithCurves, too… but not on the Phantom cuz it’s gotta be accurate.)

Saw Jack’s posts after Rich’s… so…

#MinifigScaleKennywood2020!!!!!

Jack Rimer
    Participant

Have you seen this:

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Those cars sure roll quickly!

Jack Rimer
    Participant

Very efficient wheel system.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I know, it just seems that the recent posts already show that someone has already made the roller coasters much more effectively than the LUG could hope to accomplish.

…well, not with that attitude…

😉

I found the Jackrabbit, but not either incarnation of the Steel Phantom. So we could do those. And we could do the Laser Loop. And if we really wanted a fun challenge, we could do the Exterminator in #GlowZone colors! And we could do the terrain instead of stacking on bare tables / boxes / etc. And we could do it in a cohesive display, with all the terrain and whatnot! A minifig-scale Kennywood would only be, like, 60 feet long…

It *does* seem like the CDX system allows a LOT more flexibility than does the LEGO-brand coaster track available…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Greg Schubert
    Participant

more flexibility

literally

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Cross-threading re: Hidden Side set with coaster track components in cool colors (but not enough variety in parts to make a cohesive coaster in said cool colors):

And now there’s dark red and pearl dark gray roller coaster track in this set, which would be baller if you could get enough pieces and if it spanned the full range of coaster track parts.

I was thinking that one way to build a cohesive coaster (i.e. one where all the track is uniform color) that isn’t red would be to obscure the lift hill(s) and any other spots where you can’t get your preferred color of track. Still seems like red, light bley, and purple are the only colors where enough variety of track is available to make a full coaster with the lift hill being the only thing you’d need to obscure to make it seem like your purple / bley track was uniform…

I’m also intrigued by non-standard usage of the LEGO coaster track components. Can’t find it now, but pretty sure I’ve seen at least one person SNOT the track to come up with some pretty neat options.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar