Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

@zaximillian I like your reasoning. So what if there was one setup and one teardown and one display but no shifts? Is there any way that could add up to 8 for a single person?

Rich Millich
    Participant

@zaximillian I like your reasoning. So what if there was one setup and one teardown and one display but no shifts? Is there any way that could add up to 8 for a single person?

Yes, and I have a ready and extreme example that is close to that, and the thought process that went into it, with the caveat that this was ONE event, but FIVE displays:

S.W.Randall display, divided into 5 phases, which is by definition 5 *different* displays.

* What if a builder displays for only one theme? That’s easy: 1 cup credit.
    * Now what if a builder displays for two themes? That’s twice as much work, even if it’s an evolving or tearaway build in the same space. Therefore, 2 cups.
    * What if someone built one thing to be displayed in all phases, like scenery or landscape? Well, by the per phase pattern, 1 cup is not fair. 5 cups.

Add in installs, of which there were 5 in rapid fire, AND with the mitigating factor that any builder who accepted store sets got ZERO cups…

This is why, at Q3, it was stated that cup redemption is at the discretion of the event leader.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Rich Millich.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

This is why, at Q3, it was stated that cup redemption is at the discretion of the event leader.

Begging your pardon, as I wasn’t at the meeting, but may I ask a few clarifying questions regarding this statement?

1) Who stated it?
    2) Was it voted upon?
    3) Is it in the 2019Q3 Meeting Minutes? (I don’t see them posted on the forum thread – the most recent post was a few days prior to that meeting, with an agenda)

I’d just like to confirm, because it was only July when Tim said the following:

The current Redemption Rules are that a member shall earn 1 cup for displaying at an event (“event” being given a broad meaning – public events, static displays, etc.) and 1/2 cup for staffing an event (or a reasonable shift) including set up and tear down.

The Redemption for a specific event can only be modified with the vote of a majority of members at a LUG meeting with quorum. The Event Lead does NOT have unilateral authority to change the Redemption Rules.

(an excerpt)

That was in response to a debate about a decision that was – or was not – made at Q2, and not everyone who attended that meeting agreed about the outcome of the discussion.

I’m very much in favor, in general, of distributing parts from LUG coffers generously. But if there’s even a hint that people are “gaming the system”, or that people are making up the rules as they go / to suit themselves, then we’re not playing well. Clarity, transparency, and communication are key, and I don’t believe that has happened this year on the topic of cup credits.

Example: the Q2 minutes do mention the discussion, but the notes are in shorthand, suggest a “rule of thumb”, and do not mention an official vote:

“Open Discussion:
    Rule of thumb for long displays—1 cup per month
    Sustainable
    “extra” reward- not driving reason
    Reasonable limit”

In my opinion, that’s not nearly conclusive or detailed enough to change a longstanding policy.

So, “it was stated” is not good enough. We need to have documented evidence that (a) there was a quorum in attendance* a vote took place, and (c) specifics about what decision was made, especially if it affects a longstanding LUG policy. I’d also say that it needs to be communicated clearly to those not in attendance.

*- in fact, have we defined how many LUG members makes up a quorum?

I’m not arguing any side right now, just saying that I don’t want to see a repeat of the debate. As someone who has unfortunately missed the past few meetings, it doesn’t sit right with me to just have secondhand information casually presented in a thread.

Maybe we should start taking LUG votes via Doodle polls? That would allow for clarity and documentation, as well as giving absent members a chance to weigh in (we could communicate that a significant vote was proposed, and that members have X days to respond.)

Also of note is this thread – which also does not mention conclusive decisions/votes: http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/sustainable-cup-credits/

Phil Breneman
    Participant

From the handbook:

Cup credits can be earned in a couple ways:
    1 small cup for being a first time member at a meeting. These do not accumulate.
    1 small cup for anyone sorting effort (sorting party, taking a box home to sort)
    1 small cup for each staffed shift at a LUG event (shifts as defined by event leaders and inventory managers)
    1 large cup for contribution to a displaying event
    1 small for attending a business meeting if your birthday falls in that quarter. These do not accumulate.
    1 Large cup for gaining widespread attention for the LUG, in forms such as blogs, magazines, newspapers, or other related media sources

I think the “shifts as defined by event leaders and inventory managers” language may be new following the Q3 meeting since that is what I recall being the conclusion, but I don’t see it being noted in the revision history.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

(shifts as defined by event leaders and inventory managers)

It seemed that four hours was a shift, or an elaborate setup or tear down (ex. the Greenberg Train Show) was considered a shift. But now a shift could consist of going to the Cranberry library display and adding a minfig each day if the event leader defined a shift that way?

Phil Breneman
    Participant

(shifts as defined by event leaders and inventory managers)

It seemed that four hours was a shift, or an elaborate setup or tear down (ex. the Greenberg Train Show) was considered a shift. But now a shift could consist of going to the Cranberry library display and adding a minfig each day if the event leader defined a shift that way?

I think the idea is that having an event leader AND an inventory manager define it is to provide a simple system of checks and balances. I don’t see how adding a minifig to a display could possibly be agreed upon as a shift. A standard shift is ~4 hours or setup/teardown. Anything other than that should get agreement with an inventory manager. If the event manager is an inventory manager, then logic would say one of the other inventory managers should be brought into the discussion.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Looks like we are definitely going to see some red profile bricks in the Lego Store PAB wall very soon. As well as some green and red slopes! Merry November!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

What pieces did they use for the corn?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Josh.
    Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Did it snow in Pittsburgh today? We have snow here, and not just flurries for five minutes, it’s real snow that is piled up on the ground. Rain tonight will probably wash it away, but it’s possible we’re getting more tomorrow morning, and temperatures during trick-or-treating are expected to be in the low 30s. This is not my idea of good Halloween weather.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

…where are you, @bengood921? It’s been high 60s / low 70s the past several days in the Burgh. Cold snap doesn’t start til tomorrow night…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m in Elmhurst IL. It was nice when I got here, but the temp has been in the 40s for several days and I’ve been wearing my winter hat for outside walking.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Today’s weather is worse than expected. We have a couple inches of snow and it’s coming down hard. It’s supposed to stop before trick-or-treating starts, but this already feels like it’s going to be the worst Halloween ever. Normally there’s a neighbor here who puts a giant inflatable maze on his front lawn for the kids to go through, I assume that’s not happening. Also, if the storm is moving east, it’ll mean I’ll be driving back into it on Friday (the forecast calls for sun here on Friday).

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

How tall is LUG Doug? How much was he when the LUG bought him?

$119.99 seems a bit steep for a 7″ display piece. Any takers on this creative template for artistic expression?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/lego-wooden-minifigure-853967?icmp=HP-SHH-EX-OR-wooden-1179

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Jim Rolfe.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

@tcsbgdady we got him from Rad Squirrel Woodworking: https://www.facebook.com/RadsquirrelWoodworking/

He’s definitely taller than 7″. I think about 12-14″. But I can’t find pricing / details on the FB page, nor a link to a more detailed website. Maybe @joshhall remembers?

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Thank you @philmatt24! I will look at the site. Seems expensive for a “collectible” 7″ wooden figure from Lego so I was just wondering.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I can not enter this link, I also looking for a famous MOC store to find my dame MOC 13655 Dodge Viper ACR according to my wishes. I’ve been trying to find it for almost a week..!!

Maybe here?

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-13655/Loxlego/dodge-viper-acr/#info

There is also a version on Lego Ideas.

Josh
    Keymaster

Anyone have any time lapse videos of them building something? Carnegie science center wants to know. Might tell them about Pitt or the New Years build…

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Hiya! Check out my Instagram (@legofreak133) I have a few. If you’re looking for the file I can send your way. Mine are top view. I recently bought the big Hogwarts castle and was thinking of doing a time lapse vid more in the style of the Pitt logo.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Sometimes the advertisement placement online is spooky.
    (see below)

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

oooOOOoooo, the spooky algorithm is haunting Greg!!!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

the spooky algorithm

The subjects are not at all related but the images are incredibly similar.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> How tall is LUG Doug? How much was he when the LUG bought him?
    >
    >> $119.99 seems a bit steep for a 7″ display piece. Any takers on this creative template for artistic expression?

I’m glad ours is bigger, cause we want to make sure everybody knows that we had LUG Doug before it was cool. Josh appears to have not responded on the price, I’m pretty sure he was not cheap though, I seem to remember it was about $150 and that there is, or at least was, a long waiting list for new ones.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Went to build this weekend with some fine, fine assistance from @arcadiumsol. Finished the #9 car with the new addition of a gas can port. Got some great advice on one of my starfighter projects, getting me motivated again, AND I saw the base construction of one of the coolest craft I’ve ever seen, the Eon. I hope this spacecraft comes to life.

Moral? Just grab someone from the club, get together, brainstorm with bricks at the ready, build like mad. A very productive experience with a different perspective. Super valuable, and most of all…

FUN!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

@rcgrier3406 found this post https://www.facebook.com/wpmrm/photos/pcb.2465979603613682/2465979363613706/?type=3&theater showing that someone set up a complete LEGO amusement park at the Western PA Model Train Museum, which is really close to where Bob and I live. It was just for this weekend.

I stopped by to speak with the builder while the museum was open, but I could not locate them and no one there knew the builder’s name. So I left a SteelCityLUG card on the back side of their display table. Maybe they will find this site. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar