what the heck is Greg doing?

Home Forums All Things LEGO! what the heck is Greg doing?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 373 total)
  • Author
    Tim

classic architecture of the PNC bank I saw in Lawrenceville

That is a nice building. Good to know the North Pole respects classic architecture.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

@timf thanks for weighing in, I’ve been wondering how you did the diagonal tile in the Gringotts bank

Tim

I’ve been wondering how you did the diagonal tile in the Gringotts bank

For the floor? I juts laid in plates on the diagonal and then covered the edges with 2x tiles so as to hide the gaps. The tiles held the underlying plates in place.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Did you have put down tiles first so you could put the plates diagonal? I was thinking it was baseplate / tiles / plates / tiles but that seems like a lot of layers!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

So maybe this arrangement of plates will work with tiles on top. As @timf suggested, there will be edges to hide.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan
    Participant

Looks good! I like the “SnoBank” name/pun!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

So it seems work with two layers of plates and a layer of tile, but having a checkerboard pattern seemed like a missed opportunity, especially since I was using the two main colors that are going to be in the building. It seems I have a choice to make now.

Attachments:
    Tim

I like the detail provided by using the dots. Of those two, I like the 2×2 dark orange tiles and the sand green as the “lines”.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I like the 2×2 dark orange tiles and the sand green as the “lines”.

We must have a similar aesthetic taste … I already used that design! I want to finish the edges with 1×1 tiles that I don’t have, but I have lots of 1×2 tiles. The 1×2’s won’t fit, so I’m seriously asking, is there a good way to cut a 1×2 tile in half? For example, @laura, would it be possible with a CNC or some other laser cutter?

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I got a cup of these tan pieces from the Ross Park pick-a-brick wall a few weeks ago … I am not even sure what they are called. They are not exactly tiles, bullion maybe? I was eager to check if our store had them after I saw an impressive walkway that ACPin made from them. I am hoping to use them as stonework exterior for the bank.

Attachments:
    Bob Grier
    Participant

They’re ingots @greg. I use them to give “texture” to stone walls, like on the base of the Grist Mill.

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

@whitesidewjw uses these ingots all the time, and in offset ways too. It’s such a common element for him in buildings that I think he’s got the best creativity with that particular element. It might be worth getting his insight.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am going to put polar bear “statues” in front of the bank the way that you might see lions in front of a museum.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I tried to use tan ingots to make stairs in front of the bank, but they obscured the perception of steps, so I used tiles instead.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

The Lawrenceville PNC has ATM’s out front. I decided to put windows there instead. The backlit snowflake looks more like a spider, so it may be removed.

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

I thought the snowflake looks like a wreath. Crossed boughs, which would look nice.

I like that your style allows for a little whimsy in the polar bears. This triggers the “Frosty the Snowman” Christmas cartoon in my head.

“HAPPYYYY BIRTHDAY!”

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Ground level from the bank teller’s perspective.

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

I’m enjoying these updates – it looks great thus far!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Thanks Dan! I’m trying to apply a gingerbread house theme to the general Lawrenceville bank design, but I can never see much further ahead than the step I am currently on. I think a suitable analogy to my building process is rock climbing. Can anyone else relate to that?

Here is the bank entrance, it seems that I am not going to be using nearly as many tan ingots as I had first anticipated.

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Gotta admit, I had my doubts about the color choices on the tiling, but MAN does that dark wood color make it all pop. Great choice!

I think a suitable analogy to my building process is rock climbing. Can anyone else relate to that?

I do. I am terrible at architecture, so not only do I overthink details, but then I have trouble integrating different details together and getting them to play nice. So the rock climbing analogy is apt for me. One thing at a time, unless I settle for flat walls like I usually do.

Here is the bank entrance, it seems that I am not going to be using nearly as many tan ingots as I had first anticipated.

…until you come up with a pattern that looks nice… 😉

Tom Frost
    Participant

The details of this build all look very promising. I look forward to seeing the completed bank.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

frieze tease

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Looks like icing on gingerbread. Success?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have attached another work in progress photo. While my posts are not chronicling the actual progress, they do reflect my typical piecemeal approach to this projects.

I finished the bank, but I want to enter it into a contest sponsored by LEGO and part of the rules say that it cannot have been posted previously on social media. Does this count as social media?

The contest entries are suppose to be selected by the judges and the winners will be selected by fan vote. The two dozen or so winning builds will be put on display in the LEGO House in Billund. I don’t expect the bank to be selected … what I REALLY want to enter is the school. The school has a LOT more personality, however it exceeds the size limit by an entire baseplate, and the rules say you cannot even have overhang. I don’t think the school can be reduced without major structural changes. * sigh

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

I hear you, Greg. A lot of building is a two steps forward, one step back kind of thing.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 373 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar