what the heck is Greg doing?

Home Forums All Things LEGO! what the heck is Greg doing?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 373 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I submitted photos of my bank to the LEGO House contest, the entry is pending approval by the contest moderators. Time to celebrate with these party animals over by the hot cocoa machine.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’ll tell ya: that tan / nougat / pearl gold / brown color palette looks rich.

@zaximillian, I don’t know how you predicted this post in advance, but it was a clever trick!

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Here is the completed bank for Santa’s Northern Operation and the reference photo of the PNC bank in Lawrenceville.

Attachments:
    Bob Grier
    Participant

This came out great Greg!! I found myself zooming in to check out the details and try to figure out what pieces you used to get the various effects. I’m still trying to figure out what you used for the “rounded pillars” along the top of the exterior of the bank (backwards owls maybe?). At first I couldn’t figure out what the shape was above the door from the exterior view, but then I zoomed out and realized it was the polar bear showing thru from the inside! Good luck in the contest. It’s certainly unique and original enough to get serious consideration!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Sweeeeet.

I’m still trying to figure out what you used for the “rounded pillars” along the top of the exterior of the bank (backwards owls maybe?).

Yah those are owls. I think the ones with purply faces

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Good eyes, Bob – those are the fantasy/elves series owls, (ie. not the Harry Potter style.) They are covered up on the reverse side to obscure the colors on them. There is another mystery piece between the owls.

I was trying to explain to my family that LEGO contests like to see unusual part usage. My son said, “you mean using them wrong?” I admitted that his assertion was correct, although it did not carry the intended nuance. 😀

Greg Schubert
    Participant

My contest entry for the LEGO House did not make it to the top 25. I am happy for whomever has to rebuild the MOC’s after they are shipped to Denmark. 😛 The fan vote phase of the contest winds down in a few hours …

https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/1f570af2-79dd-44f3-bba3-07978208f97b?challenge_phase=6c63d066-658c-47ac-aec8-0dcf130acecf&query=&sort=random

Greg Schubert
    Participant

My next assignment was from the orchestra teacher who decided that she was going to give out Superman capes and Superhero LEGO minifigs to all the seniors who were graduating. She wanted an “Amazing World” constructed in which all the Superheroes could reside until they were distributed to students.

I turned to two LUG members who were more capable of that than I, but then I realized she wanted me to do it because it would be more personal having been done by another teacher. So I decided to try to incorporate a large number of LEGO genres, but my goal was not to construct anything new.

One stroke of genius, that I attribute to my wife, was that since the orchestra teachers last name was Cooper that I should construct a Cooper Mini which a Cooper minifig could drive around the amazing world. I incorporates school colors into the vehicle … the joke was well appreciated.

Attachments:
    Tim

Is that a breaching whale in the center? I presume that is coming to the Library for the summer? 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Call me Ishmael … thar she blows!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Here’s why you can’t get the trans-light blue 1×1 bricks anymore, this guy bought them all:

“Aliencat-style” highlighted in this ancient LEGO city

Rich Millich
    Participant

@greg,

Two things:

* Can you provide a breakdown for that Mini Cooper? I may want to adapt that construction toward a larger truck or a Range Rover type vehicle. It looks nice!

* What’s your take on brick built trees? I know you’ve done snowy pines, but have you built any deciduous trees through brick? How have you gone about this? I will need some brick built trees for my boulevard median and maybe a modular City park.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Imagine Rich asking ME for car building advice!!! 😀 For the cooper mini I watched this video:

and realized that I did not have a lot of the pieces he was using, but I liked the fact that he used odd numbered lengths in some places. He also used

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=11458#T=C

to make the rounded top in the front and back and he used

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=11477&name=Slope,%20Curved%202%20x%201&category=%5BSlope,%20Curved%5D#T=C

and

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=15068&name=Slope,%20Curved%202%20x%202&category=%5BSlope,%20Curved%5D#T=C

to round the sides. There is some clever snot building in this model. I approximated the build to create the product I posted earlier and I eventually revised it to make it less clunky, then gave it to the teacher whose last name is Cooper. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

So far, the Biology teacher in me who knows that the North Pole is probably tundra, or at best taiga, I’ve refrained from building anything but evergreens/conifers. I have come to realize how limiting this is but have not yet ventured into deciduous tree design.

I am sure an image search would show the variety of techniques that other builders have employed and most of them probably use the standard Plant Leaves 4 x 3 / Plant Leaves 5 x 6 or the newer Plant Plate, Round 1 x 1 with 3 Leaves. Another standard ingredient to many of these trees is an Arch 1 x 5 x 4.

But hey, its LEGO and it would be interesting to find new tree techniques. 🙂

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

PS. many years ago, I wanted to find a way to make a tree with green shutters https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3856#T=C as leaves, but I didn’t know how to connect the shutters to something (other than a window.)

Rich Millich
    Participant

Yeah, the pins on those shutters do not interact with very many LEGO elements. I liked those shutter parts myself as a kid.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Considering that I don’t have much time for LEGO building these days, I found building with DUPLO to have some advantages. You can build something of respectable size in a comparatively short amount of time. This castle required no more than half an hour of rather carefree construction. 🙂

Attachments:
    Tim

the completed bank for Santa’s Northern Operation

@greg, is the Bank making it to Cranberry First Stop and/or Winter Trolley?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The bank is a good suggestion, I was also thinking of bringing the school that was at the LEGO store two years ago. The clock tower is fun to have … I suppose the rest will be determined by what else fits in the car.

Tim

That all sounds great! Looking forward to seeing the Bank irl.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

ya know, I asked the manager in charge at the LEGO store about this on Sunday and she gave me the freshmen salute ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and here it is Brothers Bricks Monday.

You can never have too many elves

I am probably pushing the elvelope on this conjecture.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Elves in Space. Space ice hauler. Carve up blocks of the stuff. Drop it into the atmosphere. Create snow.

Josh
    Keymaster
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I googled the freshmen salute ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Actually, I made up that up.

The first rank an officer in the navy has is “ensign” and usually this person arrives at their first assignment with no experience whatsoever. So if you were to ask them a question, you are likely to receive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, aka the “ensign salute.” But thinking that possibly no one else here served in the Navy, I thought that “freshmen salute” would be more easily deciphered.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 373 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar