2019 Ligonier Valley Train Show – Saturday, May 18

Home Forums LUG discussions 2019 Ligonier Valley Train Show – Saturday, May 18

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Tim

OK, I have received the official announcement for the LVRR Model Railroad Home Tour. It will be Saturday, May 18, 2019. We will have our standard location in Huber Hall (300 South Alexandria Street, Latrobe, PA 15650). Set up begins at 5:00 pm on Friday, May 17 and also at 7:30 am on Saturday morning. The show runs 9:00 am to 4:00 pm on Saturday.

This is a great “starter” event for anyone who has not yet done a display. It is short (all one day for 7 hours) and close. The LVRR people are really nice and always glad to see us. They are only selling 300 tickets so the crowds should be steady but manageable.

I will most likely go out on Friday and stay at a local motel overnight (there is a nice Marriott Fairfield Inn right across from the airport). Easier than driving the 3 hour roundtrip from Cranberry.

This is a train show, so we should have some trains. But we are not limited to a town display. We’ve done Harry Potter and some space stuff before (but never “space train”). So anything is welcome. I will probably do a small town section. Let me know who else might be interested.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I’m interested @timf. In line with the “train show” theme, I was thinking that this would be a great opportunity to display the Incline again!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

My schedule is still TBD but I am probably in for this. I can probably find a couple pics to post here to give an idea of what to expect to people who haven’t been to this one before.

I want to expand on what Tim said in his post – in the past we have been more casual than usual about what we put out at this one, which is pretty much because they give us a huge amount of display space whether we ask for it or not, and we need to fill it. At a lot of events, using official Lego sets in your town/train display is considered bad form, but at the two LVRR’s I went to, we used as many modular building sets as we had available. That includes duplicates, so if somebody else is already bringing a Palace Cinema to the event, don’t let that stop you from bringing yours. And like Tim said, even after we get our town section set up and put on as many trains as possible, there’s still gonna be empty space, so bring whatever you want.

They do love us there, they rank right up there with ICF, SWR, and the Cranberry Public Library in that department. I don’t stay overnight like Tim does, but it is more than an hour drive to get there from the North Hills.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Here’s some pics from 2014 and 2015. (I wasn’t there in ’16 and ’17, and they didn’t hold the event last year.)

Because of the length of the displays, I never got a shot of the whole thing without people standing in the way.

(I can’t find a way to delete out the pic that’s too big.)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tom Frost
    Participant

I would like to do this display this year, and bring some space train action. But it is a difficult time due to the end of the school year. I remain optimistic, but cannot commit at this point.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Bonus post from Ben

Also possibly worth mentioning: in those pics, the tables are provided by the LVRR people. (In May 2014, the LUG tables didn’t even exist yet.) The green table cloths are Tim’s, and I would assume that he’ll be bringing them again. It means that we won’t need to haul the LUG tables out there, or set them up, or deal with the skirting and plexi-glass. No stanchions were provided or used. At the events I staffed, we didn’t have a problem with the public touching our stuff.

Tim

Yes, I will be bringing the green table cloths. No stanchions, but crowds are not a problem. We usually leave a few inches empty at the front so little kids aren’t as grabby.

Will McDine
    Participant

This is the same weekend as my college graduation. Not sure if I will be able to attend but if anyone from the south hills is attending I may be able to send along a fire truck or two

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I would like to do this display this year, and bring some space train action. But it is a difficult time due to the end of the school year. I remain optimistic, but cannot commit at this point.

#SPACETRAINSPACETRAINSPACETRAIN

I, too, <3 this event. But I, too, am not yet sure I can commit this time around. Will see how things go the next few weeks.

Everything said here is true - they love us, it's a fun, low key time, great opportunity for entry level MOCers / displayers to get their feet wet, and it is a bit of a drive (but not *too* bad...) Highly recommend!

Tom Frost
    Participant

So I have now found out I will not be able to make this one work. Apparently this is my niece’s 1st birthday so unfortunately I am out. Oh, well, maybe next year.

Tim

I was thinking that this would be a great opportunity to display the Incline again!

I agree, the Incline would be a great thing to display at LVRR. I’ve been thinking about what I can display this year. I think I will bring the Gulf Building, the K&L Gates Building (i.e. the two “big ones”), and Grimmauld Place (from last year’s Trolley Museum Harry Potter display. If it’s available, maybe we could also get King’s Cross from @greg. We can say it’s to commemorate the resumption of non-stop air flights from Pittsburgh to London which just resumed this month after 20 years (https://www.visitpittsburgh.com/pittsburgh-to-london/).

Tim

So far, me, Bob, and Pete are planning on attending this show. I know that it overlaps with ICF. Is anyone else planning on attending? We could use some more train track and trains.

Also @greg, could we use your Kings Cross Station? I’m going to take my Grimmauld Place so another London Building or two would be great.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I am planning on coming to setup and to the event. I have not decided what I’m going to bring, I have been considering getting out the observation platform, which has not been out of its storage container in nearly four years. (I was just looking at a picture of it, and I’m thinking I can now see all kinds of ways to improve it through a rebuild, but that’s not gonna happen this month.) The rest of the park was taken apart long ago, has not been rebuilt, and won’t get rebuilt this month either. So the observation platform would just be resting on a set of plain unMILSed baseplates (probably eight), although I certainly have plenty of trees I can bring to put around it. I was not going to bring any train track.

When we were at Build Day at Walter’s House, I noted that he has nearly all of the Cafe Corner series of buildings, assembled and on display in his Lego room. I tried to convince him, unsuccessfully, that if he took them all apart, it would give him a lot of pieces he could use towards cool space builds. So then instead, at Q2, I nagged him that if he has those buildings and he’s not gonna take them apart, then he should put them to good use and bring *all* of them to this event. He seemed more receptive to that idea @whitesidewjw

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I could definitely arrange to have these buildings to Bob in two weeks. 🙂

Whiteside
    Participant

When we were at Build Day at Walter’s House, I noted that he has nearly all of the Cafe Corner series of buildings, assembled and on display in his Lego room. I tried to convince him, unsuccessfully, that if he took them all apart, it would give him a lot of pieces he could use towards cool space builds. So then instead, at Q2, I nagged him that if he has those buildings and he’s not gonna take them apart, then he should put them to good use and bring *all* of them to this event. He seemed more receptive to that idea @whitesidewjw

While an architectural space build would be interesting……

I can’t make it to the event that day, but would be glad to lend my modulars for it.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I tried to convince him, unsuccessfully, that if he took them all apart, it would give him a lot of pieces he could use towards cool space builds.

I can’t blame him, he knows that they are worth a lot as complete sets.

“One more thing. Obviously it represents a significant investment.”
    – Mirage, the Incredibles

Laura
    Participant

I will be returning from Allentown that day and won’t be able to make it =(

Tim

I certainly have plenty of trees

Lots of trees are always good, even if just sitting on some green baseplates. You know the laid back nature of this event, so whatever you can bring will be good. I’m planning on bringing a few buildings that probably have not seen the light of day in several years just to see if they still make sense or if I should break them down for parts.

Josh
    Keymaster

This is the same weekend as my college graduation. Not sure if I will be able to attend but if anyone from the south hills is attending I may be able to send along a fire truck or two

will if you can get a truck to me tonight, I can get them to Bob for this weekend when I go to children’s festival.

@whiteside – any progress on a new banner? we’ve got 1 in the culture trust window display and the second either going to LVRR or to the august wilson center with the track.

I have the 9v power transformers and cables that Phil bought. I’ll make sure to include a power supply this time.

Tim

and the second either going to LVRR or to the august wilson center with the track.

I have a few of the small LUG signs which were used at the Wal-Mart event. We can do Ligonier without a large banner. It would be better used at the Children’s Festival.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m planning on being there right at 5 on Friday. I don’t know how long we can hang out before they boot us out. Based on previous setups though I’m guessing nobody’s planning on staying past 8 and more likely we’ll be leaving by 7.

Since I was the one who suggested using Walter’s buildings, I guess I should be the one to go pick them up from his house. Which pretty much leaves us with tomorrow (Thursday) evening. @whiteside Walter does what work for you? Any time in particular work? Do you have cardboard or plastic containers you can put them in for protection during transport? I do not have much here for that, although I might be able to come up with some Sterilite containers they can sit in. I can then return them either Saturday evening or Sunday.

I plan to bring the observation platform, plain green baseplates, my new plain thin pine trees (no Travis-brick pine trees for this one), my new supply of leaves and flowers (bright light blue and dark pink) courtesy of the Lego store PaB wall, and various green wedge plates for varying the landscape. I do not have anything MILSed right now. I will have guys to put up on the platform but none to put anywhere else. I did not plan on bringing train track unless we’re really desperate (none of mine have identifying marks). I am not planning on bringing larger trees either.

Whiteside
    Participant

Since I was the one who suggested using Walter’s buildings, I guess I should be the one to go pick them up from his house. Which pretty much leaves us with tomorrow (Thursday) evening. @whiteside Walter does what work for you? Any time in particular work? Do you have cardboard or plastic containers you can put them in for protection during transport? I do not have much here for that, although I might be able to come up with some Sterilite containers they can sit in. I can then return them either Saturday evening or Sunday.

@bengood921
    I’ll be around tonight. I don’t have any boxes, so the Sterilite containers would be handy.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I’ll be around tonight. I don’t have any boxes, so the Sterilite containers would be handy.

@whiteside Okay, I’m gonna aim for after dinner, sometime between 7:30 and 8. Remind me again exactly how many buildings you have, so I know how many containers I need. If I come up a couple short I could even swing by Target and buy extras, it’s not like they won’t get used around here in the long run.

Whiteside
    Participant

@bengood921 That time works well for me. I have ten modulers that are built.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Josh contacted me this afternoon about picking up track n stuff from his house, so I’m going to go there first and then to Walter’s house. That way I will know how much space is remaining in my car for Walter’s buildings, since it’s looking likely that I won’t be able to fit all 10. Some of the containers I had hoped to use to transport the buildings are not big enough, so I am making alternate plans.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar