2019 Q1 Build Challenge – ART!

Home Forums MOCs Build challenges! 2019 Q1 Build Challenge – ART!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

This was @whitesidewjw ‘s idea at the Q4 meeting. I think it was left vague intentionally.

Whiteside
    Participant

Yes, it was meant to be vague… but in fairness there should be judging criteria that should encourage fun builds. I want to leave the door wide open a far as subject matter and techniques. People can make a sculpture or mosaic or anything that is for the sake of art.

Here are the criteria I’ll use:

Quality of build techniques used (how much effort was taken).
    Making use of artistic features such as repeating shapes, patterns, contrast, symbolism and symmetry.
    Colors, especially colors that complement or enhance each other/ or intentionally contrast
    Style and composition that focus the eye and keep the viewers’ attention.
    Presentation- for example pedestal or framing.

I’m sure we’ll have the typical LUG prizes. I’ll throw in the following prizes to hopefully boost participation from my odd parts collection:

1st place- Transparent Clear Ghost Part (these are pretty collectible)
    2nd place- Straight Red RC Train Track
    3rd place- Transparent Black umbrella

Will McDine
    Participant

This seems interesting. I am not sure what I will be able to get built but if I cant I can always enter my large mosaic

Bob Grier
    Participant

Now that we’ve fixed the date for Q1, I’ll definitely have an entry for this. Art of the Brick meets Harry Potter . . . . .

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Art of the Brick meets Harry Potter . . . . .

I hope its a sculpture of Voldermort’s soul fractured into seven (or eight) parts

Greg Schubert
    Participant

These photos are a teaser for my “Art” project. 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

My Q1 building challenge ART entry is the summit for the Christmas tree, (which I started to rebuild.) Instead of having a cone all the way to the top, I decided to top the tree with a rounded church that approximates the white cone. I also built a mechanism to make the church slowly rotate using an XL motor. The battery pack is currently housed in the modified “Mountain Man” award. I brought it to Bob’s house yesterday, so it can be transported, however I will not be able to attend the meeting tomorrow.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Will McDine
    Participant

Since I will be Unable to attend the meeting, here is/was my entry into the contest (not sure if we have done online submissions in the past or not). For those unfamiliar, this is the 3 firefighters raising the American Flag over Ground Zero on September 11th 2001. The original photo was taken on 9/11 by Photographer Thomas E. Franklin of (at the time) The Record of Bergen County N.J. . This picture is very iconic both in the memory of that day, but as well as the memory of the first responders (343 Firefighters (FDNY), 60 Police Officers (NYPD, Port Authority of New York, Port Authority of New Jersey), 8 EMT’s and Paramedics (Private EMS Services), and 1 New York City Fire Patrolman), as well as the Will Power of the United States to Re-Build and come back out on top. The Original Flag shown in the Photograph was recently found and Placed on display at the 9/11 Memorial Museum at Ground Zero in New York.

Technical Specs:
    40″ Long, 20″ wide
    6,980-7,000 parts used
    21 total colors
    Build time of Appx 19 Hours.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Will McDine.
    Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

3 firefighters raising the American Flag over Ground Zero

That’s an awesome choice for a project! The 19 hours was only the time to assemble it, there was probably even more time in planning. Which program did you use to create the mosaic?

Will McDine
    Participant

That’s an awesome choice for a project! The 19 hours was only the time to assemble it, there was probably even more time in planning. Which program did you use to create the mosaic?

Thank you! This honestly is one of my best works yet.I am so proud of it that at one point it will end up framed and hanging on the wall in my Lego room. It took appx 19 hours to build, but planning, acquiring all the parts, and finding the correct items to display it took many months (as a matter of fact, I really am unsure of an exact number). As far as the creation of it, I used Bricklinks Mosaic software that they have on their website. I was simply experimenting with it one night while at work and happened to stumble upon this. The build process was harder than I expected though. The software (at the time, not sure if it takes this into account now or not) does not plan for parts that had a small production run. For example the software originally called for me to use sand blue and Sand green 1×1 plates for the background (appx 200 green and a few thousand of the blue). Both of these had very small production runs and are non existent in that quantity so I had to swap them out (olive green and Dark Blue were the colors I picked), which led to a darker look than I wanted which I might still end up changing at some point. The other issue is that when you start working with larger mosaics requiring more than one base plate, the system allows pieces to connect more than one base plate.

Tom Frost
    Participant

My entry will also be coming via interwebs. Putting on finishing touches. Stay tuned…

Tom Frost
    Participant

@Joshhall @whitesidewjw Here is my entry for the “Art” build challenge.

Planting the Flag

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Tom Frost.
    Josh
    Keymaster

Tom got first
    Bob got second
    Will got 3rd.

Since bob was in person, we let him pick first. He took the sets(3 brick heads) and the trans ghost.

Tom gets to pick red track or umbrella.

And since you’re not here, you don’t get your cup credit 😉

Attachments:
    Tim

sand blue and Sand green 1×1 plates for the background (appx 200 green and a few thousand of the blue)

You could use 1×2 sand green plates turned sideways in profile. That would make the mosaic two studs deep but from the front it would look the same. Not sure about sand blue plates but there are medium blue (a bit brighter than the sand blue) 1×2 plates available. Both of these have been on the PAB Wall recently and should be readily available there or online.

But really a great mosaic and great “Art” project. Congrats to all the winners. All entries were really great.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Since bob was in person, we let him pick first. He took the sets(3 brick heads) and the trans ghost.

Tom gets to pick red track or umbrella.

And since you’re not here, you don’t get your cup credit

Dang, I had my heart set on the ghost. (Stupid invisible snowstorm!) I guess I’ll take the red track. Don’t worry, I’ll collect my cup next time I’m at HQ.

Will McDine
    Participant

Awesome! I will collect my Umbrella at some point and Also my 1/2 cup credit hopefully at next meeting. Also worth noting that I still have not collected my prize for coming in 2nd at the Q4 Build Challenge. Ill get around to it at some point!

Bob Grier
    Participant

Here are some pics of my Q1 2019 second place entry – Harry Potter Themed Still Life. As most of you know I’m one of the Harry Potter fanatics in our group, so when the subject for this challenge was first announced I wanted to do something that was Potter related, fit the subject of the challenge, and could be displayed later on at future events. I came across something similar on LEGO Ideas, and decided to try to replicate a couple of pieces that were done there as well as develop some new ones on my own. So, for any muggles not familiar with Harry Potter, included in my submission are:
    * Hedwig – Harry’s owl.
    * The Sorting Hat – used to place first year Hogwarts students in their respective houses.
    * A Lantern – used by Harry and Ron to “follow the spiders” into the Dark Forest in search of Aragog.
    * Tom Riddle’s Diary – which is a horcrux (part of Voldemort’s soul) used by Riddle to communicate with Harry.
    * Harry’s Wand and signature Wire Framed Glasses.
    * Candlestick, Quill and Ink Well.
    I’m not much for digital design, so these were all done “old school”.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskMvz4Dz

I know Walter took pics of all of the entries, and I’m sure he’ll post them as soon as he gets around to it.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Bob Grier.
    Whiteside
    Participant

For all the people that built entries, thanks for contributing! Here are pics of what was shown at the Q1 meeting:

Art build challenge entries- Q1 by Walter Whiteside Jr.[/url], on Flickr

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar