2019 Q2 build challenge – Car show

Home Forums MOCs Build challenges! 2019 Q2 build challenge – Car show

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Thanks to Tom for the idea!

Do we have a build challenge for Q2 yet? I had two ideas.

Option #1 Car Show. Build minifig scale “speed champion style” real life cars: show cars, classic cars, collector cars etc. These could be used for display for a ‘car cruise’ at summer shows like summer trolley or summer greenberg’s.

Option #2 April Fools Create a build that fools the viewer; is more than what it at first seems to be, or has a surprise feature.

I would be happy to judge.

Thoughts?

let’s go for car show. @tom, any rules people should consider?

any remember, anytime your car shows up on a display, you get a display credit.

Will McDine
    Participant

I really enjoy this idea. Since my attendance at the meeting us still unsure I may build something and submit electronically if that is still allowed.

Skipper Mike
    Participant

I started my build today. It’s a little different than the others I suspect. I also might not be able to attend in person.

Rich Millich
    Participant

MUSCLE RACERS
    I have been building a race car fleet for a while now in bits, slowly, over the past two years, as it’s one of my long term projects to build a Grand Prix race circuit, thanks to @joshhall selling me most of the parts for the #38 car. I will be bringing two of these cars to Q2. @arcadiumsol and I have discussed ways to hold varying types of races over the course of a daylong event for audiences to be involved in.

It might also fit in with the City displays we often do, as this many cars cover a looooooot of surface area. Sorry, Josh, I’m slowly buying the LEGO City street plates too for this. Because curves. 😉

This racing fleet is based on repurposing most of the printed or stickered parts from the Tiny Turbos, Racers, World Racers, and other non-licensed LEGO lines, building V8 muscle cars with rear wings, and most with blowers. Each one will be a little different on the surface shaping, which adds character and creativity, but all will have the same wheelbase, rim style, and windshield placement. I would be happy to post LDD files for the #1 and #2 cars to give builders an idea if they want to join up with me.

All cars are based on set 60053, the Race Car.

I have 23 teams planned so far, by car number:
    #1 is revised and newly redone, is the Octan racer, in white, red, green and black. Detail parts are from set 60053.
    #2 is the Turbo Oil racer, in black, lime and light bley. Detail parts from set 8133, the Rally Runner.

These two I can bring to Q2 as is, right now, along with parts for the following teams I’m planning:

#3 is the Crozz Country racer in blue, white and red from set 8126, the Desert Challenge.
    *#4 is the Vita Rush racer, in dark azure, bright light orange, and white. Detail parts from set 60218, the Desert Rally Racer.
    *#5 is the Nuty Rez racer, in white, orange, and medium blue. Detail parts from set 8149, the Midnight Streak and set 8193, the Blue Bullet.
    *#6 is the Autoparts racer, in red, orange, yellow and white. Detail parts from set 4582, the Red Bullet and 8124, the Ice Rally.
    *#7 is the Car Glass racer, in yellow and blue. Detail parts from set 8124, the Ice Rally.
    *#8 is the Turbo Sprinter racer, in blue, white and flat silver. Detail parts from set 8120, the Rally Sprinter.
    *#13 is an unsponsored racer, in medium blue, red and white. Detail parts from set 4593, the Zero Hurricane and Red Blizzard.
    *#20 is an unsponsored racer, in yellow, black and white. Detail parts from set 4594, the Maverick Sprinter and Hot Arrow.
    *#29 is an unsponsored racer, in lime, green, black and orange. Detail parts from set 4594, the Maverick Sprinter and Hot Arrow. I may switch to use the #29 in red, yellow and medium blue from set 8829, the Dune Blaster.
    #30 is an unsponsored racer, in blue, red and white. Detail parts from set 4591, the Star Strike.
    *#37 is an unsponsored racer, in medium blue, red, orange and blue. Detail parts from set 4595, Zero Tornado & Hot Rock.
    *#38 is the XR Fuel / R Power racer, in white, magenta and yellow. Detail parts from set 4595, the Raceway Rider. I got dibs on this one.
    *#46 is the X Treme racer, in white, orange, black and lime. Detail parts from set 60146, the Stunt Truck.
    *#66 is an unsponsored racer, in red, white and black. Detail parts from set 4593, the Zero Hurricane and Red Blizzard.
    *#78 is the Retour Travels racer, in black, yellow and light bley. Detail parts from set 8126, the Desert Challenge.
    #80 is an unsponsored racer, in medium blue, red and blue. Detail parts from set 4588, the Off Road Race Track.
    #84 is an unsponsored racer, in black, red and white. Detail parts from set 4588, the Duel Racers.
    *#85 is the XU Trans racer, in white, red and black. Detail parts from set 60145, the Buggy.
    #88 is an unsponsored racer, in lime, green and red. Detail parts from set 4596, the Storming Cobra.
    #89 is an unsponsored racer, in green, lime and red. Detail parts from set 4590, the Flash Turbo.
    *#99 is an unsponsored racer, in yellow, red, black and white. Detail parts from set 4586, the Stunt Race Track.
    The #95 does not count. Sorry, Lightning McQueen.

* I already have some parts for these teams, so anyone who wants to pick this team, I’ve got parts for you.

There are many teams available so far, and I plan on finishing them all, regardless of whether I ever finish the circuit. New team ideas or sponsor ideas for the teams listed are welcome, based on sticker sets. There are stickers and parts available for teams #14, #17, #18, #21, #23, #27, #31, #33, #34, #42, #43, #51, #52, #55, #57, #65, #71, #72, #73, #77, #82, #83, and #96 that I know of, but I haven’t investigated them enough to plan a team around these very specific parts. Using some of these numbers requires cutting stickers.
    The 60151 set could be converted easily and has a good sticker set and driver, but no number for the team.

If you want to “claim” a team, since I’m gathering parts for all of these cars simultaneously, I may already have the parts you want to get a headstart, including the chassis base, specialty tires, rims, blowers, and other parts I’m using to unify the look of the race field.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Just ordered major detail parts for the #17 Hourz car, in black, lime and yellow, among minor parts for the #4, #8, #13, #20, #29, #71, #89 and #99. I think I can finish maybe four to six cars total. I’m currently looking at bringing #1, #2, and #38 for sure. I’m currently working out which ones are possible beyond that based on parts I currently have. #4, #17, #46, and #88 are possible.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Rich Millich.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Rich Millich.
    Rocko
    Participant

I think a car show is a great idea!
    Since our house burned down I’ve been building my collection back up and I mostly build MOC classic cars (and trucks) in 6W and 8W.
    Which raises a question:
    Must the cars be Speed Champion-style only, IE 6W bodies with 4W passenger compartments?
    OR will 8W cars be acceptable too?
    I’ve built about 20 classic and antique cars & trucks, each seats at least one minifig (some seat more), but some are 6W (Speed Champion-sized) and some are 8W.
    So it would be good to know if the Car Show entrants will be limited to 6W vehicles Only or if 8W will also be allowed.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks

Rich Millich
    Participant

Most of our Build Challenges are pretty free form. I don’t see any restrictions.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Just got in a BL order today, which contains parts for the wings of the #4 and #5 cars that are nearing completion, the sides of the #17, and a new design for the #3 Smell Zwell car in dark red, orange, white and yellow.

This project is fun for me, as it’s more of a low stress “variations on a theme” thing, with each car less than 200 parts.

I’ll be building tonight!

Tom Frost
    Participant

submit electronically if that is still allowed.

Electronic entries will be allowed, as usual, but since we will not be at Josh’s place, we may not be able to view them on anything larger than our phones.

Must the cars be Speed Champion-style only, IE 6W bodies with 4W passenger compartments?
    OR will 8W cars be acceptable too?

Don’t feel limited to 6w bodies with 4x passenger compartments, however the idea behind the contest is to generate cars that will makes sense scaled with the rest of our displays. 8w is going to be bigger than large trucks or even trains so may look out of place next to other vehicles. That being said, we would love to see some of your other vehicles also!

any rules people should consider?

I will be looking for creative part usage to create accurate styling at this small scale. Original builds based on real-life cars will go to the head of the class.

Rich Millich
    Participant

I now have NINE cars done in their first versions. Minor changes can be made, but I’ve got the look down for a third of the field. #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 17 and 38 are ready to race. About 1500 parts worth so far.

I think I’m going to tweak the spoilers on these cars and some of the sponsor placenents.

Now I’ve further narrowed down the cars I can do to a different 23, all of them sponsored in at least minor ways. My BL Wanted Lists are a glorious mess.

I am gathering parts for the #8, 12, 13, 14, 46 and 78 next, some of which are very close to completion. I’m out of TIRES of all things! Hahaha!

Will McDine
    Participant

I built my two entries today. Both will receive some minor cosmetic work both in the next week and the day of (thanks again @zaximillian for trading parts with me, you will see what they are for when it comes time for the meeting). If time permits I might be able to squeeze in one more build, but we shall see.

Dan (Beast)
    Participant

Here is my entry, Lamborghini Countach. I used the front design based off of Joe Perez Lamborghini, but changed the rest.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

The 46 and 78 cars are pretty much done except for the wheels and rims. Thank you @willmcdine. This will make 11 cars, or just under half the field.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Build Challenge Summary

Pictures have been uploaded to Flickr.

1st place: @Rocko brought many fantastic vehicles. Highlights were an International Harvester pickup and a Buick Roadmaster hauling a camper.

2nd Place: @willmcdine presented a pair of excellent 57 Chevys in Fire Chief and Sheriff livery

3rd Place: @zaximillian brought along 11 of his grand prix racers, a great study in variation and color blocking

Hopefully we will see these vehicles again in upcoming displays.

( @joshhall when you get a chance please post a picture of the prize set here so @rocko can choose his prize and the others will know what they receive also)

Rocko
    Participant

Great pics Tom!
    The whole event was fun, it was my first event with the group and it was really cool to hang out with fellow Lego fans.
    I was very pleasantly surprised to be awarded First Place, because the other entrants were also Excellent builds (the Police and Fire Chief ’57 Chevies, the inverted Disneyland Land Rover, and of course the fleet of Racers).
    The Trophy is awesome (Kudos to the builder!) and is proudly displayed with my Lego cruisemobiles ?
    Thank you all for a great time, and looking forward to future events
    ?

Will McDine
    Participant

Thanks again Tom for Judging! These build challenges are always fun and are a great way to get people building things they wouldn’t normally build. Looking forward to the next one!

Josh
    Keymaster

The smallest (reasonable) set at 307 pieces is 41322 Lego friends snow resort ice rink. @rocko let us know if you want the set or the pan credit.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tom Frost
    Participant

if you want the set or the pan credi

PAB credit, not pan credit. PAB = Pick a Brick (LUG brick not Lego Store)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar