2021 Cranberry First Night

Home Forums LUG discussions 2021 Cranberry First Night

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Tim

Cranberry Township has reached out to me for participation in First Night, its celebration to kick off the Christmas season. In past years this has been on a Friday night, but it looks like this has been planned for Monday, November 22, 2021 (I am verifying that).

The theme is always Christmas/Winter. We can do a cohesive display or just random stuff (like BF Live). I am leaning towards bringing my Hogwart’s Great Hall, maybe some Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade shops, and run the Hogwart’s Express. Any ideas are welcome. Post here if interested. We like to have around 5-7 LUG members staffing as the crowd is usually around 3,000 for the one night (usually 3 hours 6-9).

DOODLE: https://doodle.com/poll/ct9r4pcu2a48ktxx?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Tim.
    Krista K

I just ordered the new Santa’s Visit, which I’m happy to include if you think it’ll fit.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I’m interested. Just depends on what day it is. I can add any HP stuff that you don’t have.

Kevin
    Participant

I’m interested in helping out. I can bring my UCS-sized AT-AT and Hoth Shield Generator in case the Empire decides to attack Hogsmeade.

Tim

Cranberry First Night will be Friday, November 19, 2021. Normally runs between 6-9 pm. We normally start set up around 2:00 ish that afternoon. We can leave the display up for a few hours of public viewing Saturday or can opt to take it all down Friday night. Our choice.

Steve
    Participant

I am available to help out from 5(ish) to 7. I’ll be working in Warrendale so it shouldn’t take me long to get up there. I don’t have much in terms of Christmas sets, but we have the small kits from last year’s Star Wars and Harry Potter Advent Calendars and I also have a small Santa Claus from the 80s.

Tim

@eowyn89 that sounds great! Thank you.

Renée
    Participant

Kerri @kacierno and I are working on a “Snow Park” build (skiers, skaters, snowball fight etc.) build for display at this and Santa Trolley. I also should be available to staff.

Tim

a “Snow Park” build (skiers, skaters, snowball fight etc.) build for display at this and Santa Trolley

Sounds awesome!

Also, I have created a Doodle – https://doodle.com/poll/ct9r4pcu2a48ktxx?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link – also posted this in the first post above. I put three shifts: (1) set up between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm; (2) the actual event between 6:00 pm and 9:00 pm; and (3) tear down from 9:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Ideally we would have a minimum of 6 people staffing but we can really use as many as want to come! 🙂

Kevin
    Participant

Is this an indoor or outdoor event?

Renée
    Participant

Here’s a description of the event- apparently we’ll be in the Council Chambers- but there are indoor and outdoor activities.

Cranberry Twp First Stop

Tim Brown
    Participant

So I have no firm time, but I’ll be able to come over towards the end and help tear down after my wife gets home from work. I’ll bring the kids over earlier, but not sure how much help I’ll be at that point. If you opt to keep it up a few hours Sat, I can help with that timeframe as well.

Tim

we’ll be in the Council Chambers

That is correct. We are in the council chambers which is a fairly large room. They will have tables for us and we will need to figure out how much display space is needed so I can order the correct number of tables (standard 8 feet wide by 30 inches deep). We can normally request between 4 and 8 tables.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have suggested this a few times before and although it never gets traction, I think it is worth considering. At Cranberry (especially) there are small kids who want to grab things from the display table, ex. a 9V train going by.

I think we should have a low table for toddlers with DUPLO trains that they can play with on a loop of DUPLO track. Not a motorized train, just simple 2×4 bricks with four wheels. I once had a table that was perfect for that purpose; the table is shown in the image below.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Steve
    Participant

My work schedule got changed so I won’t be able to help out. Sorry!

Tim

I think we should have a low table for toddlers with DUPLO trains that they can play with on a loop of DUPLO track. Not a motorized train, just simple 2×4 bricks with four wheels.

I am definitely in favor of this. Perhaps it is something we could build. I’ve seen tables with gutters on the sides to catch and hold excess pieces. One concern would be sanitation although having some hand sanitizer around normally does the trick (and Duplo would be fairly easy to run through a washing machine using a mesh bag).

My work schedule got changed so I won’t be able to help out. Sorry!

No worries, Steve. 🙂

Krista K

I have suggested this a few times before and although it never gets traction, I think it is worth considering. At Cranberry (especially) there are small kids who want to grab things from the display table, ex. a 9V train going by.

I think we should have a low table for toddlers with DUPLO trains that they can play with on a loop of DUPLO track. Not a motorized train, just simple 2×4 bricks with four wheels. I once had a table that was perfect for that purpose; the table is shown in the image below.

I have a TON of Duplo track and a train (or two). I think my son would be cool letting me borrow it for one night. 😉 I also have a big bottle of hand sanitizer.

Tim

That would be a great new addition to this event!

Renée
    Participant

@kacierno ‘s and my Snow Park is 3 baseplates. Here’s a preview of the first one:

Attachments:
    Tim

I’ve requested six tables be available for our display (+ a power outlet). I will be working on a draft layout and post that here (probably early next week) for review and comment.

Kevin
    Participant

I finally finished the cider mill. I will be bringing it, along with some trains and some Hogsmeade buildings.

Attachments:
    Kevin
    Participant

More pics

Attachments:
    Kevin
    Participant

Three of the cars. I have 3 more to build, in addition to the regular holiday train set.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I love that mill, it has lots of interesting construction techniques and the overall effect is charming. It is definitely on my “want to build” top 20 list.

I have a TON of Duplo track and a train (or two).

For the “train” I was thinking simple DUPLO 2 x 6 bricks with four axles and four wheels that cannot be taken apart. I think the key is having the right table. The rounded edge plastic table in the photo would be preferable to a lUG table top for a small child who might be prone to falling. Does anyone have that sort of table to bring?

Krista K

For the “train” I was thinking simple DUPLO 2 x 6 bricks with four axles and four wheels that cannot be taken apart.

Yep, got plenty of those too.

I think the key is having the right table. The rounded edge plastic table in the photo would be preferable to a lUG table top for a small child who might be prone to falling. Does anyone have that sort of table to bring?

I might be able to bring something that’ll work. Let me work some magic.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar