2021 Q4 build challenge – Alt build

Home Forums MOCs Build challenges! 2021 Q4 build challenge – Alt build

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

Here’s my Q4 build challenge entry. I am who I am.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I am who I am.

I have to admit, this made me el-oh-el.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

my Q4 build challenge

Whoa, when I first saw the thumbnail version of the photo I thought it was a circuit board … and THAT would have been a winning entry for originality!

Renée
    Participant

Love the knolling, @carlsonf! And the photo makes a better parts reference for working on the rebuild than the one in the back of the manual. (I also saw a circuit board at first glance)

Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

I had to look up “knolling” – thanks for the new word, @legoleia51. I built it as an homage to sorting, which is my thing. However the more I looked at it afterwards from across the room, it came across as a shipping port or warehouse facility. And the tires across the top read as big tanks.

Attachments:
    Tim

However the more I looked at it afterwards from across the room, it came across as a shipping port or warehouse facility

Yes it does! Great microscale eye there. I also LOL’d at the original as I instantly knew that it was your homage to organization! 😀

Geode collecting crustacean

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I had to look up knolling too. I also initially thought it was a circuit board, since Rachel builds Lego circuit boards all the time, I thought it looked familiar.

I got my entry built today. Since there’s a little bit of a story and play features to go with it, I’m not gonna post a picture here, you’ll have to wait til Saturday. Mine is geology themed, with four different kinds of rocks, one of which is called benidium. The other three are currently unnamed though, so if anybody wants some rocks named after them, you have til Saturday morning to put your name in here.

I was successful in using every single part in the set, including extras. When you know your build isn’t gonna be quality, go for quantity.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Q4_2021_Build_Challenge

In a simulated lunar environment, NASA technicians test their newest development, the Terrestrial Exploration Robot Prototype or TERP.

I must admit this was a difficult challenge. I’m used to turning anything into a rover, not the other way around 🙂

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I must admit this was a difficult challenge. I’m used to turning anything into a rover, not the other way around.

Ha, that was my thinking exactly. Fortunately, I am also used to turning anything into a spaceship, which is what I did.

Bob Grier
    Participant

“Watney!! Watney report!!! Where the heck is he going?????”

My build ended up looking an awful lot like the rover from the movie “The Martian” (one of my favorites). Since I won’t be there in person to show it, couple features I was able to incorporate:
    * The cab pivots 360 degrees for loading the flatbed.
    * The remote arm also pivots, as well as telescoping out.
    * The back trailer also articulates to go around corners.

Since I don’t have the cool backdrops like Tom has, let’s just say that today they’re extracting precious gems from the mineral rich “Parquet Crater”!!

Attachments:
    Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

@bengood921, Well if none of the Master Builders have claimed naming rights to the rocks in your build, and it’s not too late, how about flurinium?

Dan
    Participant

You might be annoyed if I just built a droid…

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

But there might be some charm in a submersible arm!

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

And who could ignore a factory tour?

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

Nobody’s sour when they see an orange-white flower.

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

Please be sure to note this little rowboat!

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

Got a frown? Better talk to a clown!

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

If it’s riding you like, then how about a bike?

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

And the last build for now: a monstrous snow plow!

Attachments:
    Will McDine
    Participant

Hope I’m not too late to submit. No shocker… It’s a space fire truck

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

Sorry for all the spam, but I really enjoyed messing around. My actual submission will be at the meeting!

Will McDine
    Participant

Additional Photo without the Mini-Fig

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Well if none of the Master Builders have claimed naming rights to the rocks in your build, and it’s not too late, how about flurinium?

I’ve been aware for some time that I never replied to this one and I don’t wanna leave Nancy hanging @carlsonf, even though this thread is essentially done at this point.

Sadly, I got this message too late. You would have been first in line, since, in fact, nobody else wanted the honor. I had a whole bunch of names lined up too – bobonium, gregesium, joshonium, peteium, etc. Unfortunately it was moot in the end anyway: because there were so many entries, I ripped through my story as quickly as a I could and I skipped naming any other minerals besides benidium. But I’ll keep it in mind for future use 😀 Since I don’t like to make my Lego guys fight, I prefer to theme my space builds on science and exploration, and mining stories are always good for that, even if they’re not always environmentally responsible.

(Also, flurinium sounds suspiciously real. Isn’t flouride made from flurinium? Plus, you realize that in Pittsburgh, I will always have to explain that no, it is not named after Marc-Andre.)

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar