Amazing stuff

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Amazing stuff

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

These creations make me feel like I am still building at the five year old level. And that pose … I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a mecha that is NOT looking straight ahead before, it looks like someone photoshopped some LEGO parts onto a real person.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Holy snap, I have so much stuff to grade. 🙁 Time to do something counterproductive:

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Does this seem familiar? Its an auction on eBay.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

That’s old news, sister! I supported that microscope ages ago.

Josh
    Keymaster

I figure this is a better place than starting it’s own thread:

and then I find out it’s not a purist mech -http://myminifactory.com/object/mybuild-robot-frame-3040

but, it takes stop motion to a whole new level!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Countdown til Ambassador Matt @philmatt24 corrects your grammar*: 10… 9… 8…

And we could totally top that. Also, we need a 3D printer so we can make the awesome parts that Lego’s too lame to make. Tell Hinkle to send us one.

*Possibly using the Strong Bad grammar song that contains the word ‘scalawag’.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

then I find out it’s not a purist mech

Actually back in 1964 when LEGO sales were failing and the company signed a contract with the US Army Corps of Engineers to make miniaturized weaponry. The idea was that the lasers and tiny guided missiles could be used in remote control robots that were air dropped in the event of another Cuban missile crisis type situation. This contract was recently declassified after 50 years through the Freedom of Information Act: http://www.dhs.gov/

So they may not be conventional LEGO parts, but don’t get your hopes up Evan … I doubt you can get these parts anywhere except on the black market in South Korea, where the video was made.

… this concludes Mr. Greg’s totally made up bedtime LEGO story. 🙂

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Countdown til Ambassador Matt @philmatt24 corrects your grammar*: 10… 9… 8…

*Possibly using the Strong Bad grammar song that contains the word ‘scalawag’.

LMGTFY.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

LMGTFY.

Even though he provided a link, I think Ambassador Matt was really really hoping that I’d ask what that meant and that it would lead to a ‘Who’s on first’-type conversation. Also, if you want more grammar songs, click on the drawing of the bicep at the end of the cartoon, it’ll bring up a CD of Strong Bad’s grammar songs, I think there’s five total, including the one from the beginning of the sbemail.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

LMGTFY.
    Even though he provided a link, I think Ambassador Matt was really really hoping that I’d ask what that meant and that it would lead to a ‘Who’s on first’-type conversation.

More like, trying to point out that you mentioned something but didn’t provide the link. GIYF, Ben… GIYF.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

More like, trying to point out that you mentioned something but didn’t provide the link. GIYF, Ben… GIYF.

Ooooooooooooooor, I deliberately didn’t put in the link because I figured the cool kids would get the reference and know how to find it, and everybody else is clearly already a hopeless case. (Or, more likely, I figured that anybody who didn’t get the reference really didn’t care.)

So now I have to go look up GIYF. Sometimes I think you just make these up and then plant fake webpages about them just to antagonize me.

Update, not only is GIYF pretty lame, there’s two additional acronyms that mean the same thing (STFW and JFGI, neither of which are safe for all ages). So I am inventing my own, making its debut here, which is HCWRDNMSFAFESPITELTYVM. GLIUIYCFIO (go look it up if you can’t figure it out. I invented that one too.).

Tim

HCWRDNMSFAFESPITELTYVM. GLIUIYCFIO

IT’s like those Crostic Quote puzzle – one letter is substituted for another. :-p

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Ha, nope. It actually stands for Holy Crap We Really Don’t Need Multiple Stupid Acronyms For Every Single Phrase In The English Language Thank You Very Much. It’s a thing now, tell your friends. I expect it to be my standard response to all of Ambassador Matt’s posts from here on out.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I got this one!

GLIUIYCFIO

“Good lights it up in your crusty face, if only.”

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

https://www.nerdist.com/2015/01/these-medieval-lego-sets-reveal-an-enchanting-world/

Hoooooooooly…

Those roofs.

Flickr stream is even more impressive. Look for Sauron (among many other wondrous things.)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

https://www.nerdist.com/2015/01/these-medieval-lego-sets-reveal-an-enchanting-world/
    Hoooooooooly… Those roofs.

Before these photos, I thought that understood how to make buildings out of LEGO parts. This is very humbling.

Regardless, show those photos to your writer friend who thinks that LEGO is all about stacking bricks.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Ya, David’s pretty good at those medieval houses, but I think I might like Luck’s stuff a little better: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45244184@N04/

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Ya, David’s pretty good at those medieval houses, but I think I might like Luck’s stuff a little better: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45244184@N04/

Obviously glue is not allowed but using magic to make these things is not really fair. Tell these people to knock it off – its like its not even the same toy for Pete’s sake!

Tim

From what I recall, Luke was the pioneer of the mottled wall technique employed by David (at least as far as anyone can be a “pioneer” in Lego). Both are excellent castle/fantasy builders and there is a lot of Lego goodness in their photostreams.

Greg Schubert
    Participant
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Investigating Cale’s photo stream, I noticed a technique for making siding in buildings and he provided a link for how to do it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

You’re going through his photostream faster than I am, I haven’t gotten there yet.

That is pretty cool though. Whenever I’ve seen buildings like that, I’ve always assumed that they’re snotting this piece to get the effect:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=85984

A very quick look at BrickLink suggests that Cale’s technique is much more cost-effective, plus visually it’s more subtle and therefore more realistic-looking. I don’t know if he has problems getting them to stay in nice and neat, I am always wary of putting pieces in clips that aren’t specifically designed to go in them.

Matthew
    Participant

Define snotting for me please! and i saw this today as well, i love the texture they got by using the bricks that way

Tim

That still looks like it would be expensive to do an entire building. But it is the best technique I have seen for doing realistic siding. “Snoting” refers to the use of the SNOT (“studs not on top”) building technique. This is a popular acronym dating back at least 15+ years in the AFOL community (along with BURP – “big ugly rock piece” – and POOP – “piece out of other pieces”).

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar