Automated Garbage Truck

Home Forums MOCs Automated Garbage Truck

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Robertson
    Participant

My son LOVES garbage trucks, and in 2020, I showed him this AWESOME automated garbage truck on Lego Ideas. Of course he asked when we could build it. I explained that it might be some time and only if it gets approved. The look in his eyes when he saw it work, and when I said we couldn’t build / buy it right away was gut wrenching. So, I couldn’t let that stand. Through several weeks of watching videos and pouring over photos, I reverse engineered the design and mechanisms. Built it in Studio, ordered parts, designed the graphics, box art and instructions. I gave it to him that Christmas. The truck is still built on his Lego table, and he still plays with it. Albeit he’s made mods of his own!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan
    Participant

Fantastic! I was really hoping the design would be chosen. I’m sure your son (I presume AJ?) is grateful!

Tim Brown
    Participant

Very cool

Will McDine
    Participant

This is amazing! I too was disappointed when this wasn’t approved. I think it would have made an impressive city set (especially when you consider Waste Management has mostly gone to their one man/autonomous Trash Trucks). I have to say though while the build is impressive, what is more impressive is the custom Box, Instructions, and Stickers! How did you do the stickers if you don’t mind me asking?

Mike Robertson
    Participant

Yes! AJ, as much as a 6yr old can be, is very grateful!

The bulk of graphics on this one are cut vinyl with a Cricut. The stripes on the tailgate are layered vinyl. The vinyl works out well, because it’s easy to apply them spanning multiple bricks, and slice them afterward. That’s also why it’s up higher than I prefer… so it only spans 5 bricks vs all 8. The license plate is just printed on an address label.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Who then, is Marvin J?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Mike Robertson
    Participant

That would be me 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar