BrickWorld Chicago 2019

Home Forums All Things LEGO! BrickWorld Chicago 2019

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I will be there in June for the fourth consecutive year. I will be staying at Rachel’s house. Rachel’s guest room is currently reserved for KC and therefore is not available. I plan to have a GBC module for this event.

BrickWorld is a great event and I highly recommend it. As far as I know, the only other LUG members to attend are Micah and Rick, who also were there the previous three years (I think). If anybody else is thinking of going, let me know.

http://www.brickworld.com

The public days are June 15-16. We can get in the hall around 1PM the Wednesday before (June 12). The last day to get early registration (which is $20 off) is April 30. The last day to register MOCs is May 21.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

My dad won’t be coming this year, but I’ll probably be there again…
    I’ll have a full time internship this summer though, and I’m still not 100% sure I’ll be able to get time off for BW (but I imagine I will be able to).

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

@hacim

You must be here cause we saw your stuff on the table today, but I haven’t seen you around. Me n Rachel are set up across from the GBC table.

Tim

Any pictures?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Still traveling, update and pics in a couple days.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

BrickWorld was fun as usual. I did not get a working GBC module done in time. I did have last year’s GBC event kits from both BrickWorld and BrickFair, as well as the new one for this year, so they were included in the display, which is only worth mentioning because they (we) easily set a record for most modules in one display, at more than 350.

Beyond the Brick posted their video of the whole circuit yesterday morning, I haven’t watched the whole thing yet, since it’s 97 minutes long, but here’s the link:

One of the best parts of BrickWorld is World of Lights, where they turn out all the lights so you can see how everybody lit up their displays. Unlike at BrikFair, where the convention hall requires them to leave some of the lights on (it’s so lame), they turn them all off at BrickWorld, and it’s nice and dark. Except it really isn’t anymore, because so many people have their stuff lit up. Last year, a guy named Lawrie George brought along custom glow-in-the-dark soccer balls, put UV lights on his modules, and ran the balls through them during WoL. For this year, BrickWorld went and bought a large supply of balls, which were run through the entire display. The effect was even cooler than I’d expected, and I expect they’ll keep doing it, although clearing up jams and breakages in the dark didn’t look fun.

I did end up building something while I was there. Rachel reserved an 8-foot table, but then was concerned that she wouldn’t have enough stuff to fill it (since this is a recurring problem, I had made a rule that she is no longer allowed to reserve space until she already has her stuff built, but then I didn’t enforce it), so she asked me to bring stuff along, and I brought my usual stuff: Lackeys, pine trees, and green plates for landscaping. I spent all day Friday building it (and got a blister that required a band-aid when it started bleeding on my Legos, gross). The build was generally well-received by the public and the exhibitors (mostly I got compliments on the trees), and I got a gugick from last year’s Master Builder. Here’s a pic:

BWC19

(@joshhall I wore my Steel City LUG shirts and badge all weekend, so for displaying, four shifts of staffing, plus setup and teardown, that comes out to four cups, so I’m gonna claim them.)

I never found Micah, despite attempting to track him down at his table. I discovered that Glenn didn’t make it after all, which he addressed in a different thread that I’ll eventually reply to.

This year was Bryan Bonahoom’s 13th and final year running the event, which is being taken over by Mark Larson. Other than that, it was business as usual. I expect to go next year.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Yeah, I was there this year. It was a lot of fun. I did a lot of building on-site again. I’ve attached a picture of what I finished at the convention.
    I’ll probably work on the build more at home before I actually take good pictures and post it though.
    Also, here’s a BW walk through video some of you might enjoy… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pefR0u9MfVY

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

@hacim doing michah things.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

lol, yup…
    Why are you up so late Josh?
    Gotta rest up for the big meeting tomorrow (today)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar