changes to variants on bricklink

Home Forums All Things LEGO! changes to variants on bricklink

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Yinz hear all this yet? I think I support it as a buyer. Kind of a bummer to think I spent all that time to list the differences and now they’re combining them.

https://www.bricklink.com/help.asp?helpID=2625

The following types of variants will no longer be accepted into the catalog and current examples of these variants will be merged (effectively deleted).

Frosted bricks
    Smooth slopes
    Connections between studs
    Sprue marks
    Torsos with ribs
    Inside supports
    X-shaped axle holes
    Hinges with teeth
    Duplo bricks with bottom tubes
    Blocked and vented studs
    Determined entries for very common parts

Tim Brown
    Participant

So we were discussing this on Discord and the consensus seems to be that it’s a bad idea. However after further thought, I think in most cases I would be ok with it as long as the variations are listed on the main page of the element. Many elements already had this. It really comes down to whether it’s a functional or cosmetic difference. If the piece is functionally different to where swapping the part throws off distances/measurements or makes your proposed build unworkable, I am opposed, but something like torso ribs or sprue marks, I don’t think will make much a difference.

Will McDine
    Participant

It really comes down to whether it’s a functional or cosmetic difference. If the piece is functionally different to where swapping the part throws off distances/measurements or makes your proposed build unworkable, I am opposed, but something like torso ribs or sprue marks, I don’t think will make much a difference.

I agree whole heartedly here. If it’s a cosmetic difference then I don’t care. As long as the overall parts and dimensions are the same, then that’s all that matters to me. However, If its a functionality difference then it must be separated.

Logan C
    Participant

Honestly this update is really upsetting to me. I use Bricklink is an inventory catalogue first and foremost. Looking up the distinctions in part variants and which sets have which variants is the primary reason I use the site every day, even more than actual shopping. And yes, the small differences MATTER. As someone who spends a great deal of time piecing together older sets, I need to make sure I am using the correct part variants that reflect the era in which each set was produced. Getting rid of the ability to look up and purchase distinct part variants makes Bricklink not only inaccurate, but straight-up irrelevant.

Additionally, as someone builds MOCs, it is still very important for me to know EXACTLY which part I am buying. If I order a clip for a transformer and get the wrong variant, it could literally result in the entire build becoming unstable! It is absolutely the seller’s responsibility to accurately inventory parts, and to make it right to the customer if a mistake (no matter how small) is made. And even if they didn’t want to deal with the small variants, Bricklink conveniently already had a built-in out for them in the “undetermined type” category. So why make this change? It shows that Bricklink prioritizes the lazy sellers who can’t be bothered to pay attention to their stock or deal the consequences when discrepancies are found over the consumers who actually care about what they’re spending their money on. It’s easier for them to just sweep it all under the rug, I guess.

Dan
    Participant

I think this is a terrible idea. Part variations matter for aesthetic and occasionally for performance purposes. As Logan said, there is already a category for buyers and sellers who didn’t care – “undetermined type”. This decision adds little value to the consumer and seriously disrupts hardcore users.

There is also the point Logan raised regarding set inventory. While one may argue that is not the primary purpose of Bricklink, it is a function that we as the community have come to expect from the site. Guess we’ll have to start buying original instructions to try to divine what actually came with a set.

Does Stud.io also ignore these mold variations?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar