Classic space orange minifig to go with the new minifig book? Is he/she avalibl

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Classic space orange minifig to go with the new minifig book? Is he/she avalibl

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    BaronVonYinzer
    Participant

Hey all,
    for some reason I thought that I saw that the orange space man that is due to be released with the new lego mini fig book… I also thought I saw that it may be possible to get him via the lugg brick buy.. any sort of conformation on this?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

The torso, tank, and helmet are all showing up as options on the temporary list we have, the one without prices. They’ve already been mentioned on the LUGBulk 2020 thread, so I wouldn’t be surprised if those parts make our ordering list.

BaronVonYinzer
    Participant

Hmmmm I would be down for a couple or 5 of the sets to make up some space men! I really need to dig out my classic space and build…

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Hey all,
    for some reason I thought that I saw that the orange space man that is due to be released with the new lego mini fig book… I also thought I saw that it may be possible to get him via the lugg brick buy.. any sort of conformation on this?

I think the book comes to the US I
    in October maybe? Not sure the release date is confirmed.

If someone orders the LUG Bulk minimum on all these orange space man parts, that would be one impressive orange space guy army! Seems kinda wasteful though. Too many other cool parts for MOCs.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Hey all,

I think the book comes to the US I
    in October maybe? Not sure the release date is confirmed.

If someone orders the LUG Bulk minimum on all these orange space man parts, that would be one impressive orange space guy army! Seems kinda wasteful though. Too many other cool parts for MOCs.

There is an exception if someone wants to commit to a Classic Space construction force. In that case, buying up an orange CS detachment of lots of figs can really only happen this one time.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Yeah I’m hoping the torsos, helmets, and tanks all make the list, I would take 25 of the guys. I think it’s going to be difficult to get them otherwise – I never got more than two of the green ones – and I’d like to have more than a couple, even if I don’t need a whole army of them. And I can definitely come up with a color scheme for them, even if it’s not Orange-Tron, so I wouldn’t be worrying about anything like logic or conventional wisdom.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

…so I wouldn’t be worrying about anything like logic or conventional wisdom.

I definitely work in logic or any conventional thought.

BaronVonYinzer
    Participant

I only have the two green spacemen that came with the exo suit, and picked up two of the 4 packs withthe four colors… I really need to break out my classic space sets and rebuild or find some inspiration to build more or MOC some stuff… Thinking about cutting loose some of my newer sets, and possibly some of my classic castle…
    … To fund some other classic space or pirate sets… two favorite themes

BaronVonYinzer
    Participant

I always thought of the differing original colors as different levels of rank… whichever I had the most of was the lowest rank… I think the black spacemen were the highest rank as I had only a couple of them.. more red, white blue and yellow than the black spaqceman figs…’

Tom Frost
    Participant

I would take 25 of the guys. I think it’s going to be difficult to get them otherwise

Yeah, ditto on that. The book is going to be like $30

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Back in my day (you can imagine that said in my extra cranky old man voice), there were two colors of astronauts. So for me, any new color is extra super exciting. The best I could come up with as a kid was giving the red guys white pants, and vice versa, or switching the tanks, or the helmets, or some combination thereof. Regardless of how I did it, the results were always extremely unsatisfying, and I eventually stopped doing it.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Back in my day (you can imagine that said in my extra cranky old man voice), there were two colors of astronauts. So for me, any new color is extra super exciting. The best I could come up with as a kid was giving the red guys white pants, and vice versa, or switching the tanks, or the helmets, or some combination thereof. Regardless of how I did it, the results were always extremely unsatisfying, and I eventually stopped doing it.

I had the same approach, which has carried over into how I do my United Earth Fleet and Outer Colonies factions now. I do combine different colors of hips, torsos, arms and hands, and I’ve found that changing the hip part to a contrasting color makes it look like a harness, so I do that often.

This doesn’t work as well for Classic Space figs, and I think that this is because the core fig is so strong in monochrome that breaking it up is limited to maaaaybe air tank color, gloves, a helmet swap to the newer type (still monochrome with the rest of the fig), with a different visor color. Maybe armor, EVA tools via neck brace or jetpack. I think that some customization is possible, but on a CS fig, I feel that it has to be restrained. What do you think, @erunaamo?

This still means that the orange CS fig parts are a premium here.

It’s also ripe for resale because of rarity. Remember: LEGO, on BrickLink, now has all the data it needs to track down LUGBULK resale abuse. 😉

Dan Efran
    Participant

This doesn’t work as well for Classic Space figs, and I think that this is because the core fig is so strong in monochrome that breaking it up is limited to maaaaybe air tank color, gloves, a helmet swap to the newer type (still monochrome with the rest of the fig), with a different visor color. Maybe armor, EVA tools via neck brace or jetpack. I think that some customization is possible, but on a CS fig, I feel that it has to be restrained. What do you think, @erunaamo?

I agree. It’s a space suit. Space suits have been basically monochromatic since forever, in reality and in every fictional setting. A different visor color is fine. I cringe slighly at using the newer helmets, which mess with the classic, almost VW-bug-iconic lines of the original spacefig design…but I use them anyway at times. A jetpack or air tanks in a different color, stuff like that, sure – especially a neutral tone like gray or black to go with a colored suit. And I like using black gloves on white figs – it looks a bit more Star Wars or something, but I think it works.

It’s also ripe for resale because of rarity. Remember: LEGO, on BrickLink, now has all the data it needs to track down LUGBULK resale abuse.

Yeah, if BL gets a flood of these instead of a trickle, where could they be coming from? Who can buy them in bulk, and who can only buy them singly with a BOOK?

If it’s supposed to be a true book exclusive, it’s a bit weird to offer them in bulk to anyone in any way. I wonder if we’ll actually see them in a regular set later on.

Anyway, I’m glad they’re offering them in LUGBULK, even if I don’t understand why they feel comfortable doing so.

Personally I have no interest in reselling these, but I don’t need 25 of them either. I do want more than one, and I don’t want the book. I’m thinking about voting for these parts, getting 25 (or more??), and putting about half of them (or more??) up for trade within the LUG.

BaronVonYinzer
    Participant

I agree. It’s a space suit. Space suits have been basically monochromatic since forever, in reality and in every fictional setting. A different visor color is fine. I cringe slighly at using the newer helmets, which mess with the classic, almost VW-bug-iconic lines of the original spacefig design…but I use them anyway at times. A jetpack or air tanks in a different color, stuff like that, sure – especially a neutral tone like gray or black to go with a colored suit. And I like using black gloves on white figs – it looks a bit more Star Wars or something, but I think it works.

It’s also ripe for resale because of rarity. Remember: LEGO, on BrickLink, now has all the data it needs to track down LUGBULK resale abuse.

Yeah, if BL gets a flood of these instead of a trickle, where could they be coming from? Who can buy them in bulk, and who can only buy them singly with a BOOK?

If it’s supposed to be a true book exclusive, it’s a bit weird to offer them in bulk to anyone in any way. I wonder if we’ll actually see them in a regular set later on.

Anyway, I’m glad they’re offering them in LUGBULK, even if I don’t understand why they feel comfortable doing so.

Personally I have no interest in reselling these, but I don’t need 25 of them either. I do want more than one, and I don’t want the book. I’m thinking about voting for these parts, getting 25 (or more??), and putting about half of them (or more??) up for trade within the LUG.

Totally agree… Growing up there was Red Blue and white, then I got a couple YEllow space men, and the one Black suited space man.. never switched up their parts, I do however want a few of the orange guys as well… I do have an issue witht he visors and the like.. Heck the first visors of any kind I recall came with the yellow castle

Rich Millich
    Participant

This is one of those healthy Spacer discussions that all LUGgers can have insight into.

I feel that color blocking is much more important on Space figs in general, mostly because, over may different lines, it became more and more common to pair a fig color with that set’s play functions. That has backtracked its way all the way into some Classic Space (CS) presentations now, while it wasn’t really true when the sets came out in the ’80s at all.

For a bit of context, the core five colors of CS fig came out in different years: first in black and blue in ’79, red and white in ’82, and yellow in ’84. The reissue, with new, modern helmet, still with no visor, came out in red in 2008, and the other core four in 2009.

So teeeeeeechnically all non-core color Classic Space figs could easily be considered Neo-CS anyway and converted in that direction. Neo-CS is a vibrant niche with lots of builders doing this, updating the CS look in their own ways. I lean toward Neo-CS now because the green one came with the modern helmet and trans-clear visor, so, if I want to include them, the rest of my eventual CS crew might be better off as Neo-CS figs with the same modern helmet and visors too.

However, stylistically, it could be that the new colors are a transition *to* Neo-CS equipment standards among a standard CS group, having newer gear, and that’s another way to present the figs, equally valid, with a bit of story involved.

Now, the pink Space fig comes with the OLD helmet, thick chin strap, NO visor, much like the original five. So there’s a case for combining the reissue CS figs with the old and keeping the old style helmets (which all include visor dimples, by the way), except that this helmet is not available in green.

Stylistically, I think it simpler, easily economical, and in keeping with the feel of Neo-Classic Space to go with the modern helmet and even trans-clear visors all around, leaving colored visors for Neo-Futuron and beyond.

For those who do not have a CS fig group, I think it’s the helmets of the non-core color figs that will determine whether that group is likely CS, Neo-CS, or a combination thereof, all equally valid.

As always, there’s no true way to do this, but I think Neo-CS is just a little easier to work with from the new CS fig environment. For us spacers, this new orange CS fig is worth reconsidering the figs’ presentation based on what we individually have or plan to have one day.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

@erunaamo, if you go in for the torsos, which are the key, after all, I’d be interested in 5 for sure, for a construction themed CS team. The other thing I thought of is the impact of a swarm of *orange* CS figs as a massive construction crew, with complex EVA suits, big power tools, flying space tugs maybe. Knowing your style, probably building a mega communications array, maintaining a satellite or space station in zero-G, something like that. Those figs would pop in that environment, even more than the core five colors. Any LEGO fan looking at that would know this is odd at first glance.

“Wait a minute, they MADE these in orange? What? They were promotions? And you have TWENTY of them? How did you do that?!”

And then you have a story to tell. So it might not be too bad getting a swarm of these guys.

Dan Efran
    Participant

For a bit of context, the core five colors of CS fig came out in different years: first in black and blue in ’79, red and white in ’82, and yellow in ’84.

I believe you mean, first in red and white in ’78, then yellow in ’82, and black and blue in ’84.

(My vintage CS figs are all white and red, and all my CS sets were pre-1982 sets.)

So teeeeeeechnically all non-core color Classic Space figs could easily be considered Neo-CS anyway and converted in that direction.

I wanted to write a longer response (of course I did!) to your discussion of CS vs neo-CS helmets. I may do that later, but for now I’ll just say I think you’ve done a great job of describing the main ways one can think about the issue; which path one chooses will depend on personal preference or even the specifics of a MOC.

Personally I do not upgrade helmets on my vintage white and red figs, and I prefer old-style helmets in colors where they exist. But I don’t hesitate to use other helmets when necessary, and I’ll use whatever backstory I need to. I could go into more detail but it may not be worth it; you’ve covered the topic well already.

Dan Efran
    Participant

the impact of a swarm of *orange* CS figs as a massive construction crew

Oh yes, I’m definitely thinking along those lines. The more I think about these orange guys, the more of them I think I can use in construction crews. Like, maybe 25 is not so many after all.

I always felt weird making the white-collar spacemen do shipyard work. This is going to totally change the look of my neo-classic scenes. Just pause a moment and really picture how these orange construction spacesuits will look, scattered around the blue and light gray backdrop of CS architecture. I’m thinking they’ll look awesome. “Orange is the new Space.” I can’t wait!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar