Diagon Alley

Home Forums MOCs Diagon Alley

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JR
    Participant

Howdy yall,

I grew up on Harry Potter and I’ve decided as I dip my toes back into the hobby I want to complete the entirety of Diagon Alley… slowly… over a few years. Probably get Knockturn Alley and Carkitt Market in there as well for good measure.

I’ve already designed and ordered the pieces for Ollivander’s Wand Shop. It’s 22 studs wide and 23 deep. I’m using that as a rough measurement for the other buildings.

Next I’m eying Weasley Wizard Wheezes since the new set will be coming soon. Fingers crossed it’ll drive down the price of Lavender parts.

That said, I’m trying to create a map of the Alley, Knockturn, and Carkitt so I can plan the layout now. Does anyone have any photos from Universal or any other way to help me determine what order the shops go in? It varies from place to place.

Tim

Welcome! You are among many Harry Potter fans here. We have an ongoing Diagon Alley (among other MOCs) which we are continually working on. There have been many iterations of it but I believe the last time we did a Diagon Alley display was at the 2021 Cranberry First Night – pictures in the Gallery here – https://www.steelcitylug.com/gallery/4/?envira_id=31964 Most of the Diagon Alley shops are Bob’s @rcgrier3406grie (I did the Quality Quidditch Supplies shop and the two generic houses off to the right).

I prefer the layout of Universal Studios as well (which is different from the Lego Diagon Alley set from several years ago). If you use Google Images, many pictures will come up. Eventually, I would love for us to have a full recreation of Diagon Alley from Universal Studios to display.

JR
    Participant

The Diagon Alley set up is quite impressive!

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only HP fan around here. My girlfriend got me back into it around the same time she convinced me to give LEGO another go. There aren’t many HP fans around WVU’s campus though.

Would it be possible to do the entire layout as seen at Universal amongst the group? I’ll still work on my own, but doing it full send for Universal would be fun and different. I’m having to combine references from Universal and the Studio Tour for various reasons.

Tim

Would it be possible to do the entire layout as seen at Universal amongst the group?

Yes. In addition to the various shops so far, I also have Grimmauld Place which is based off the Grimmauld Place houses right outside Diagon Alley in Universal Studios. The next shop I will be working on is Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occassions.

JR
    Participant

How do you plan on doing the little alcoves above the doors? I tried to make the entire Alley before my dark ages and couldn’t find the pieces to do it. That, amongst some other issues and things, contributed to my dark ages.

That said, check out Scarlet Patronus on eBay. They have amazing quality stickers for a lot of the shops LEGO hasn’t officially done. Here’s the link for Madam Malkin’s/Potages– https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295543023312?hash=item44cfbca6d0:g:wx4AAOSwfl1gEwvJ

WHat shops are left to do?

Kevin
    Participant

I have the parts and stickers for all of the Scarlet Patronus DA MOCs. They fit really well with the last DA set. They are all on Rebrickable.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Welcome @jrbookworm! As Tim said, we have many Harry Potter fans here!!

For Diagon Alley, I have the following buildings still together:
    * Gringott’s – 48×48, with interior finished and white dragon on top.
    * Ollivander’s – 32×32, with interior finished.
    * Flourish & Blotts – 32×32.
    * Borgen & Burks – 32×32.
    * Leaky Cauldron – 32×48, with back open to see inside.

I also have the Diagon Alley sign that you see in the gallery pictures, along with a couple other generic buildings that we’ve used to fill out the displays.

Typically, we MILS the buildings to make them easier to transport and so they readily fit together in a collaborative display. I personally have elected to finish the inside of some of the buildings, but that’s just my personal choice. Couple of interior pics attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

How do you plan on doing the little alcoves above the doors?

I have not figured that out yet. I’m not aware of any inverse round arch piece which would work. So I may just go with arches as reasonable facsimiles. At this point, I’m still trying to figure out lavender window frames. 😀

JR
    Participant

Does anyone know of a good way to either make stickers, get custom printed parts, or print on parts oneself? There are still a handful of shops in Diagon Alley I’ve got listed that don’t have stickers anywhere as far as I can tell.

Tim

@rcgrier3406 is our resident master sticker creator. He did the stickers for my Quality Quidditch Supplies and has done many for his various HP builds.

JR
    Participant

I have an update on my Diagon Alley project– I’m nearly finished Ollivanders! I learned a lot along the way, most notably to order pieces as I go– I’ve got a lot of excess pieces and a bit of wasted money. Oh well, I’m sure they’ll get used.

I’m finishing the interior and deciding if I want to put in the lamposts from the 2011 Diagon Alley set. While the lamposts aren’t in the movies, Universal, or even the books, I have fond memories of that set as a kid and I wanted to reference it somehow.

I’m trying to have two builds before I open up a LEGO Instagram page, but I’ll keep yall posted!

Tim

I’m nearly finished Ollivanders!

Looking forward to seeing it!

Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

If you are a HP fan, come check out my Live Stream on Tuesdays, currently building the Hogwarts Castle and several HP fans have been in and commenting on it. I’m not a big fan of HP but I’m impressed with the detail of this build!

JR
    Participant

Howdy,

I’ve created a LEGO Instagram page. Ollivanders should be up tomorrow around noon. It would mean a lot if people from the Lug could share and support the page. In case anyone doesn’t have an Instagram, I’ve still attached a few photos.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JR
    Participant

I realized I forgot to put the Instagram page name— @jrbrickworm

Been a long day lol.

Tim

I really like how you did the sidewalks. It gives some extra dimension to the build.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar