Display Ravine/Canyon Build

Home Forums LUG discussions Display Ravine/Canyon Build

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Zach Bauer
    Participant

All,

We are going to cut some shorter legs for 1 or more of our tables and have a ravine connecting the 2 table levels. SO far there has been talk of implementing a river at the bottom, space stuff throughout and a train bridge above. This discussion is meant to share ideas and talk about when we could potentially meet to start the build.

Tim

I’m definitely interested in helping with this. Perhaps we should consider building one or more 20×40 tables that could serve as elevation changes, either between two regular tables or in front of them. We could also build a few more regular 40×40 tables at the same time, presuming the supplies are available or the LUG has the funds to acquire more.

And we still need to devise a better solution of the sneeze guards/table skirting than the hot glue. I had outlined one idea in the Greenberg thread, as shown by the attached diagram (hastily put together using Paint): screw a strip of Velcro into the tables; drill holes in the sneeze guard and then use small nuts and bolts to attached Velcro to both sides of the sneeze guard (loops on one side and hooks on the other). This would allow attachment both with and without the sneeze guards. It would also compensate for the slight lack of proper length in the tables, since we measured in English units rather than Metric units.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Zach Bauer
    Participant

Tim I love the enthusiasm! That sounds awesome. I thought we could start by just simply cutting shorter legs for 1 table and going from there. Once we get people on the ‘Pittsburgh topography’ bandwagon, we can expand our horizons. I think the first step would be to take 2 minutes to cut shorter legs of 1 table and look at how we begin to fill that in with pieces.

I like the table skirting idea. Personally, I think those clamps are wonderful yet kind of a burden to haul around and time consuming to set up. My ideal solution would be to build a 40” track section to attach to 1 edge of every table. The sneeze guard could ride in this track and the Velcro could be screwed/stapled to the outside of it.

Nick Chen
    Participant

We need to get industrial 3M double side tape. That would be the strongest solution.

Josh
    Keymaster

supplies are available for more tables. I think we can eventually talk about building tables of different sizes, but, like Zach said, let’s try not to bite off more than we can chew just yet. We’ve got PLENTY of large brick to build up for elevation changes. The more brick (less table), the more impressive, right?

Zach Bauer
    Participant

Yes I completely agree with you Josh (and myself). That is why I started to hate the subway idea. There is nothing special about putting a Lego train on a small table under a larger table if the connection between the 2 does not have some awesome Lego intervention. The stair that Walter built was amazing but we didn’t build enough to tie it all together. I am hoping this canyon idea will offer one simple solution to this problem and the idea of grade change.

Josh
    Keymaster

We need to finish this. It’s so close. Probably 1 day of focused effort, even with just 1 person, and it could be done.

1. Have to make sure the bridge lines up with the MILs coordinates for double track.
    2. Finish the shear cliff and flat top.
    3. Any other details or finishing touches.

It’d be nice to have before greenberg, I think. If anyone wanted to take a primary responsibility and come over whenever they wanted, week day, night, or weekend, be my guest.

Otherwise, can we get a few people to aim for one of the following days?
    Oct 2
    Oct 8th and 9th
    Oct 23rd
    Oct 29th/30th (30th is the Castle Shannon show, could do a trial run there)
    Nov 5th/6th

Zach Bauer
    Participant

I can help finish it the evening of Saturday 10/15 if that works for Josh or anyone else. I’m so eager to see a photo of it at one of your displays!

Josh
    Keymaster

are you coming in for maker faire? That’s maker faire weekend and pumpkin patch trolley, so I was thinking that would be too much for people, but if you’re into it, I can make it work. Anyone else?

Zach Bauer
    Participant

I’m planning to stop by maker faire and could stop by your house afterwards just to help push it along a bit.

Josh
    Keymaster

totally missed replying here. Anyone able to help Zach? Zach, do you have interest in rocking solo tonight?

Josh
    Keymaster

Does anyone want to come down on a week day night?

how about Saturday, oct 29th, if no one makes progress with it by then?

Josh
    Keymaster

Zach, this project made its debut, albeit in another revised form, this weekend.

Summer Trolley 2017

I call it done.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Josh.
    Zach Bauer
    Participant

I call it done.

I call it magnificent. I’m so happy it’s now in the world of public art. Smiles from ear to ear on my end. Nice work to everyone involved!

P.S. to Matt- FYI this is how you get a project done. You have an idea, then you execute it. Call me if you need more instructions on how to build a train tunnel 🙂

Tim

I’m very interested to hear from those staffing this event as to public reaction and comment to this. I love how it is at kids’ eye level. Great job everyone who helped bring this to realization. Now we need to start working on going “up” (i.e. mountains).

Will McDine
    Participant

Okay… reviving this old thread for a very good reason….. Yinz hear me out……

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Buses sure have a rough time here in the Burgh. First a sinkhole, now a bridge collapse. Next, we’ll probably see one floating down one of the rivers.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar