Ghostbusters set

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Ghostbusters set

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Duncan
    Participant

I picked up the Ghostbusters set in Cleveland on saturday. The $50 price tag made me hesitate. But after building it, i have no regrets! Its rock solid. And some very interesting construction techniques go into. I highly recomend it.

Cheers,
    Duncan

• This topic was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Duncan.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Joe
    Participant

Duncan,

I agree, the set was alot of fun to build. I started working on a QB Headquarters this weekend, but I think it’s going to take some time to finish it.

Joe
    Participant

Lets try this again

Attachments:
    Tim

Very nice HQ building, plus it is modular compatible. That will look nice in our layouts.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

You’re gonna have it done by Friday so you can bring it along on Saturday, right?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I started working on a QB Headquarters this weekend, but I think it’s going to take some time to finish it.

You’re gonna have it done by Friday so you can bring it along on Saturday, right?

…sounds about right.

Duncan
    Participant

Lets try this again

Very nice Joe! That will be impressive. And a lot of bricks!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Surely you’re all aware that this LEGO Ideas project (a) exists, (b) hit 10,000 supporters recently, (c) will be reviewed this fall, and (d) has a decent shot, since LEGO already has licensed the Ghostbusters Ecto-1, right?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/60632/official_comments

Not saying don’t build your own, Joe – if it becomes a set, it might not come out for a while yet, and even when it does, we’re better off displaying a custom version than what would then be a stock set!

Joe
    Participant

FRIDAY! Challenge Accepted….

Joe
    Participant

Surely you’re all aware that this LEGO Ideas project (a) exists, (b) hit 10,000 supporters recently, (c) will be reviewed this fall, and (d) has a decent shot, since LEGO already has licensed the Ghostbusters Ecto-1, right?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/60632/official_comments

Not saying don’t build your own, Joe – if it becomes a set, it might not come out for a while yet, and even when it does, we’re better off displaying a custom version than what would then be a stock set!

Matt,

I am tracking on the GB HQ Idea Set, and I hope it does make it into production, it’s awesome. I do like GB, but not quit $250.00 like GB and that is what that set is going to cost if it does make it.

Joe
    Participant

Gentlemen,

Last night I put the kids to bed early, open a new case of October Fest, and started building!!! I decided to reduce the size of the building to save on brick (you’re right Duncan that was going to be a lot). Plus, 16 x 32 buildings are what I want to direct my attention to. I think it’s the quickest way to buildup a city display.

So after a few hours of building I finished the bottom section of the HQs. But after I looked at it for a few minutes, I realized I had seen this before. I spent a lot of time surfer the internet these past few weeks looking at some great, and some not so great QB HQ, trying to get ideas. As you can see from the photos below, I unintentionally totally ripped off this guys build.

So my question is now, should I just start over or just keep going with what I have. Please give your opinions…

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

But doesn’t it look like that cause that’s what it looks like in the movie? I’d say keep going.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

open a new case of October Fest

I think you mean August Fest… it’s way too early for Oktoberfest beers. (And yes, I believe Christmas season starts the day after Thanksgiving, and no sooner!)

Otherwise, yeah, do your thing, man… you and the others are all building based off the building in the movie, so your stuff is going to look similar. It’s all good in this case… now, if you built an Exo-Suit clone and tried to pass it off as your own, that’d be a different story…

Duncan
    Participant

I’d say keep going Joe. Yours has a greater amount of detail. And I much prefer the dark red bricks you are using over the regular red. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Duncan.
    Joe
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe wrote:</div>
    open a new case of October Fest

I think you mean August Fest… it’s way too early for Oktoberfest beers.

It’s never too early for a October Fest / Oktoberfest beer!!! I enjoy a Shandy or Summer Ale occasionally, but I’ll take rich full flavored beer any time! Lego and Beer go together like peanut butter and jelly.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Joe.
    Joe
    Participant

I found some time to work on the GB HQ last night, I stayed the course with the base, just changing the color mostly. I really don’t like the side windows, they definitely didn’t come out as I had planned. Let me know if you have suggestions on how to fix them.

I’m not sure how I’m going to tackle roof, but i really feel like the windows need fixed first. Windows cann make or break a modular building, so I want to get them right.

I’m getting nervous about having it done by tomorrow night, wish me luck.

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

definitely keep going, Joe. Dark red rules. I think his sign presents more character, but you’ve got a great build going.

I agree, studs and suds are a great pair.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’ll take rich full flavored beer any time!

Absolutely. But surely you’ve heard of The Byrds? “To everything there is a season…” Just sayin’. 😉

Lego and Beer go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Some people don’t like that combination… or so I’ve heard…

As for the build, looks great! The windows may not be mind-blowing, but look fine… rework them if you will, but don’t let that be a stumbling block, either…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Remember, if there’s any details you decide later that you’re unsatisfied with, you can fix them before Cincy and/or Greenberg. I definitely wanna take it along to Philly. I’m also a big fan of dark red over regular red.

Joe
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Benjamin C Good wrote:</div>

FRIDAY! Challenge Accepted….

Challenge Defeated!

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Suhweeeeeeet! You’ll have to provide the Ghostbusters, too, cause I don’t have that set (yet).

Also, since I want that building for Philly, I won’t tell Child Protective Services that you were up til 1:42 on a school night drinking beer and building Legos.

Joe
    Participant

I had to get it finish last night, because today is going extremely busy and couldn’t guarantee any time for building. Don’t worry all of the kids made it to school/daycare with a warm breakfast in there bellies and on time, but Dad sure is tired. I really wanted to do more with the roof, but it was late and I was having trouble finding the pieces I needed in light blay.

I spent a lot of time working on the windows but couldn’t find a pattern/technique I liked, so I just went with a half stud off set. All-n-all I’m happy with way it came out, it doesn’t look much like the real thing but I still think it’s a good looking building. Just wanted to say “THANKS” to everyone for the support and push to keep going this week! See you guys tomorrow….

Joe
    Participant

O, I can’t help with the GB minifigures, mine are unassembled and they are for sell (all four for $25),got pay for that LUG Bulk some how.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

You’ll have to provide the Ghostbusters, too, cause I don’t have that set (yet).

O, I can’t help with the GB minifigures, mine are unassembled and for sales (all four for $25),got pay for LUG Bulk some how.

Ben, I’ll sell you my set of Ghostbuster minifigs for $40… a $4.12 savings from the Bricklink average pricing (not to mention, free shipping if we meet up.)

But what’s up with Winston being the only one under $11???!!!???

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Right, cause it makes sense to buy just the guys for $40 when I can get the whole set for just $10 more.

I just needed somebody to send the set along for the display and then I can bring it back. Or I can just go buy it myself, the problem is that first I have to determine if anybody got it for me for my bday, cause if they did and then I go buy it just a couples weeks beforehand, I’ll be in big trouble.

I did a potential setup on the table last night (I had to break from the GBC cause it’s still not working and I started getting cranky). I’m thinking there will not be a complete loop of train track, but since they’ll be track, I could still use a non-motorized train to sit on the track and look good.

Also, it occurred to me that if I’m using Tim’s road, I need some cars and whatnot to put on them. Again, Laura has a nice supply but I don’t expect to see her before we leave. I’m thinking Tim has a good supply of cars but I’m not sure. I could go buy some car sets at Target but I’m not sure I have the $$$ for that right now, it looks like I’m already spending $50 on the Ghostbusters set.

Tim, it looks like I’ll need a stretch of road to go in front of 4.5 baseplates worth of buildings. I’m not sure if I’ll need roads for either end and intersections to connect them, but since they should be easy to pack and transport, I’m thinking it wouldn’t hurt to get them from you also, if I don’t use them, they’ll just sit in my house that weekend.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar