Helium Transport Car

Home Forums MOCs Helium Transport Car

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

The rocket man from Home and Garden Show may recognize this. Gonna make a few tweaks but it’s about ready to start building IRL. Helium transport cars supply blimps and rockets alike with that valuable gas.

Add it to the dangerous cargo cars in my fleet for future displays. 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Nice. We may have a situation for Will’s fire brigade to deal with at some point.

How are the “tubes” (not sure of the technical term) attached?

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Tim.
    Will McDine
    Participant

We may have a situation for Will’s fire brigade to deal with at some point.

Funny you mention that, I was just thinking about all the different types of incidents I could do if I had a collection of Haz-Mat cars such as this

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

@willmcdine, well then check out all the hazardous cars I make for my Phoenix Train Works that I would be happy to share on future city train layouts. Maybe we can create a scene for Lego minifigure first responders.

I’ve got that big blue Schnabel car with the spent nuclear fuel silo, a green nuclear flask car, a molten steel torpedo car, molten slag car, hopper car, an air-activated cement car that can pass for LPG, and I’ve started ordering parts for this Helium car to get built.

And if you have any suggestions for a haz mat train car project, just let me know. I tend to make dangerous cargo cars that have civilian applications so like the flask and Schnabel cars can transport spent fuel rods from power plant reactors to the vaults at Yucca.

Will McDine
    Participant

I will be sure to keep that in mind! Once I finish my re-sort I am hoping to be able to get a good bit of my train layout complete, and that includes rolling stock and another Engine or two. Most of the rolling stock I have planned are box cars, Tankers, and hazardous materials type haulers specifically for train incidents

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I love the look of that rail car! I hope the pieces to build it are reasonably easy to obtain.

science teacher interjection: helium, being a noble gas, does not react with anything. It cannot undergo rapid oxidation / catch on fire. The Hindenburg was filled with hydrogen, the same gas used to launch the space shuttles into orbit.

Dan
    Participant

Nice. We may have a situation for Will’s fire brigade to deal with at some point.

How are the “tubes” (not sure of the technical term) attached?

Looks like the Technic connector “tubes” end in ice cream cone pieces with the bar end stuck into a 1×1 brick w/ Technic axle cross (rather than pin hole).

Dan
    Participant

Great job on the car! Looks fantastic!

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Correct. Axle hole so it fits not as tight as if it were the usual hole that fits the bar end.

@greg
    , indeed, it’s great for cooling rockets and maintaining pressure in the fuel tanks, according to some.

It’s currently 99% built. Just waiting on one piece that was missed in a previous BL order. Looking forward to the next show with this on the rails. XD
    I wonder in Lego size if this would be enough helium to lift a house…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar