Holiday season LEGO Store display 2019

Home Forums LUG discussions Holiday season LEGO Store display 2019

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Paula asked me (many months ago) to do something wintry for the store display case. I created a North Pole School (for elves) which covers several baseplates. I am wondering who else might be interested in contributing to the display.

Two ideas I had were a red school bus and a winter play area, although I don’t yet have specifics on the available dimensions.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

As far as display size, measurements for the Display Box are currently 36.5″x17.5″x18″ or 116x52studs x 47bricks (WxLxH or X,Z,Y)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

measurements for the Display Box are … 116 x 52 studs

For planning purposes, the black frame around the base of the display uses 4 studs on each side, making the available MOC dimensions 112 x 48. The school has a footprint of 96 x 48 but there space to add other parts to the display.

Will McDine
    Participant

I can whip up a classic looking fire truck and we could do a scene from the Christmas Story movie….

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The school occupies a large space, but three are three spaces available to build. Two spaces are 32×16 in “back” of the school and a third that is 16×48 at one end of the school.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Uh oh, I somehow failed to subscribe to this one, even though I meant to.

Anyway, you should check back in with Paula again. Remember that after the current display, we’re no longer going to be assigned the current case. The Lego higher-ups are putting us in a side case, and I looked at it last time I was there – Paula pointed it out to me – and it is smaller. So you may be making plans that won’t work.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Uh oh, I somehow failed to subscribe to this one, even though I meant to.

Anyway, you should check back in with Paula again. Remember that after the current display, we’re no longer going to be assigned the current case. The Lego higher-ups are putting us in a side case, and I looked at it last time I was there – Paula pointed it out to me – and it is smaller. So you may be making plans that won’t work.

I’m pretty sure @paulamalu said the display size shrinks after the holiday display. Like my bank account.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

check back in with Paula again

Yes, I did speak with her at the store about this and we are on track to have the big case one last time.

I now have a red bus that looks like one the PAT busses to include in this display.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Okay, sounds good. I hadn’t actually checked the old thread, I was just going by memory, and I wanted to make sure you weren’t going down the wrong road here. If you’re confident you have the same case, that’s good enough for me.

I’m looking forward to seeing it. This is good news really, cause the current case is better than the one we’re eventually being moved in to (unfortunately that decision is out of Paula’s hands).

Paula
    Participant

@tcsbgdady is right! it’s after holiday we’ll use the smaller case. nothing I can do about the bank account though, I have the saaaaaame problems.

Tim

I now have a red bus that looks like one the PAT busses to include in this display.

I like the use of the red Train arrow symbols for the bus. Nicely done.

@greg
    , do you have anything particular in mind for those blank areas? I’m interested in contributing.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Tim.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

do you have anything particular in mind for those blank areas? I’m interested in contributing.

I planned to place MILS baseplates in there, probably with white plates on the top. I suggested a playground, depending on the size, it could occupy a 16×32 or 16×48 space. Maybe a small hockey rink would fit.

The 16 x 48 area could be a street with a bus stop for the bus, maybe a snow plow in action (Pittsburghers can relate) or even something more humorous like an elf riding a Tauntaun.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

do you have anything particular in mind for those blank areas? I’m interested in contributing.

I planned to place MILS baseplates in there, probably with white plates on the top. I suggested a playground, depending on the size, it could occupy a 16×32 or 16×48 space. Maybe a small hockey rink would fit.

The 16 x 48 area could be a street with a bus stop for the bus, maybe a snow plow in action (Pittsburghers can relate) or even something more humorous like an elf riding a Tauntaun.

Can you use a white luck dragon? Maybe just hanging out in the back somewhere or for the usual, holiday, dragon rides? He’s just a little guy…won’t take up much room.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

check back in with Paula again

Yes, I did speak with her at the store about this and we are on track to have the big case one last time.

Is that bus from 60026? I have one extremely similar from that set. We were very nicely told not to include sets or set pieces. Just FYI. Everything in the display should be custom…maybe other than minifigs.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Is that bus from 60026?

The bus is from a town set and its too small, so I’m going to need a bigger boat bus. I might not use a bus for this display anyway, I might use a custom sleigh on this street. @tfdesigns and I each have a customs sleigh.

On a side note, I have not yet seen a winter village product for 2019 yet. Is there a chance that the reindeer from the Patronus set will be molded in dark reddish brown?

Attachments:
    Jim Rolfe
    Participant

In the 16×48 space I am thinking of building a tree, hollowed out, with a hot cocoa stand run by elves….and a small skating “pond”. I was also thinking the mascot or patrons (if theme permits) could be Ginger Bread person/people to incorporate those figs and “promote” the recently released Expert Creator Winter Gingerbread House set (10267) (Arriving for VIPs 9/18….maybe aboard a certain UCS Devastator??). I am sure @paulamalu is already thinking how to stack those up around the display!

Let me know if this is good with everyone on here. Not sure if anyone already planned a build there. Seems perfect for the side location to me but maybe there are other plans.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

building a tree, hollowed out, with a hot cocoa stand run by elves

There are only three jobs available to an elf.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Exactly!

Paula
    Participant

all the stacking! We do a pretty good business in chess sets right now! 🙂

I was also thinking of the City advent calendar. Can I give one to the lug to sneak some things in? If I’m ruining the build, no worries! Just a thought!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was also thinking of the City advent calendar. Can I give one to the lug to sneak some things in?

YES!

Attachments:
    Paula
    Participant

Done! It is Jim’s possession!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

So TLG finally recognized the need for a big tree for their winter village sets.

LEGO Seasonal 40338 Christmas Tree 2019 Set

This makes me wonder if I should build one fourth of my full baseplate tree, see below. This would cover a 16×16 area and I would put in the corner of area 3 where it adjoins area 2 in the diagram. There should be enough space that something can be placed underneath, perhaps the hot cocoa stand. I’ll have to try this once I get home.

Attachments:
    Jim Rolfe
    Participant

@greg, I was building a larger tree with the hot cocoa stand integrated into it on the 16×48 section; as discussed. If you don’t want that now I would need to design something else.

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

@greg, I was building a larger tree with the hot cocoa stand integrated into it on the 16×48 section; as discussed. If you don’t want that now I would need to design something else.

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Don’t design something else if you have already started. Its just an idea that I had.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Ross Park Mall store display: part 1

Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar