Lego Has Killed The Vidiyo Star

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Lego Has Killed The Vidiyo Star

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jim Rolfe
    Participant

From Brickset (and Lego):

“LEGO has announced the cancellation of VIDIYO products, effective from the 31st of January.

An official statement follows:

In July 2021 we decided to pause the LEGO VIDIYO roll-out to review performance and test new ideas. Through the extensive quantitative and qualitative research we have undertaken in the previous months, we have gained an enormous amount of learnings in terms of the music & content creation space and what it would take to succeed with the play experience, our go-to-market strategy in 2023 and not least how to build a sustainable business based on the VIDIYO experience.

Based on these insights we have decided to discontinue the physical VIDIYO products from January 31st 2022 but will continue to support the app experience for another two years to serve those consumers who have bought the products.

We still see great potential in pursuing music as a passion point and we will take learnings from LEGO VIDIYO as we continue to explore future fluid play experiences.”

I actually liked this line. Lots of colors and some creative figures. Also the tradeable tiles (I still need a bunch if you have some to trade!). Slightly sad these new themes just don’t seem to gain traction against the larger themes and extremely large sets and set prices coming out of TLG now.

Tim

Every business needs to innovate and try new things. So long as Lego continues to support their core product lines, I have no problem with testing new things. I personally thought Ninjago would be a flop as it (in my opinion) is nowhere close to the original Ninja Castle line of sets. But it has become a vibrant, successful theme.

BTW, I love your title to the thread, both for the similarity to the original song title but also as an apt description of Lego terminating the product line. Of course, now I’ll have The Buggles in my ear the rest of the day – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r-tXRLazs – so thanks for that.

Skipper Mike
    Participant

I’m only here to give my approval for the thread title.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I’m only here to give my approval for the thread title.

“I’m Skipper Mike and I approve this title.”

Lol. 👍😜

@timf
    , you’re welcome!

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

And now the rest of us will have that song stuck in our head for the rest of the weekend. On a plus note, excellent opportunity to get some neat parts when box stores put them on clearance.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Thanks guys, I also had the song stuck in my head for awhile.

I’ve been aware of, and not surprised by, the fact that the AFOL community in general doesn’t like Vidyo, although I’ve also been long aware that there’s a lot of AFOL’s on the internet who seem oblivious to the fact that most of the time they are not Lego’s target audience. I was skeptical of Vidyo also, and not surprised that it didn’t take. People buy Lego to build stuff, and the initial sets seemed like a lot of money for practically no parts, and I have trouble believing that any accompanying experience is going to make up for that.

As an AFOL with no kids and who keeps no sets on display around the house, I judge the sets solely on whether or not they provide useful parts for MOCs. The Alien DJ is one of my favorite minifigs ever (and the Alien Singer is cool too), and that alone makes the series worth it for me. Of course, I didn’t buy a single set, I BLed my DJ’s. I also like the Fairy wings (although I’m less excited about the rest of the fairies), and have one of each color. I’m still undecided about the Metal Dragon heads, which are almost impossible to find on BL in the US. The rest of the minifigs are too weird even for me. I have seen pics on Flickr where people used the Vidyo containers as cockpits for cool spaceships and ground vehicles, but I don’t plan to get any, I’ll leave that to Frost.

(And incidentally, the Angry Birds series was worth it because of just two parts also.)

Dan
    Participant

I BLed my DJ’s

Have to admit bleeding Legos had me confused there for a second @bengood921

I’m not surprised to see Vidiyo fail, but it did bring some cool pieces. I feel like Lego is getting closer to a successful physical/digital crossover line though.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I feel like Lego is getting closer to a successful physical/digital crossover line though.

I’m still skeptical. Is there an existing product that Vidiyo was emulating, or is it a completely original idea on Lego’s part? The reason I ask is that we’ve repeatedly seen Lego try to cash in on other products’ popularity but show up way too late to the party. Specifically, Dimensions was a Skylanders knockoff, Ninjago spinners was a BeyBlades knockoff, and Hidden Side was a Pokemon Go knockoff. In all cases, Lego’s product was released long after the original’s popularity had peaked. I don’t know if this is a similar case or not, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Lego might’ve had some success with some of those lines, but for a company that likes to view itself is an industry leader and a ground-breaking pioneer, trying to jump on fads – and years too late at that – doesn’t seem like a good look to me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar