LEGO Masters US

Home Forums All Things LEGO! LEGO Masters US

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    David Bacon
    Participant

So, as many of you have probably heard, FOX is developing a competition about LEGO builders. They are opening it up for contestants to apply. I would sure be sad if no one from our LUG applied. The application form is here: https://www.legomasters.tv/ You need to be in a team of 2 with at least one team member who is 18 years or older.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Sounds ideal for @hacim because he has the talent AND he has experience with LEGO competitions.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Yeah, I plan on applying

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I was gonna nominate Micah and Frost to represent us on the show.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

OMG, no one else would stand a chance!!!

David Bacon
    Participant

OMG, no one else would stand a chance!!!

I totes agree. @tfdesigns, you going to apply??

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I already have a team-mate 😛

I’m applying with my friend Eli: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eliwillsea/

Josh
    Keymaster

I want to apply with @philmatt24 not because we’d win, but because our different styles would lend to good TV. might have a better chance of getting on.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I just had a phone call with the casting associate producer for the show.
    I think it went pretty well…

David Bacon
    Participant

Oh snap! It’s getting serious now!

Tim

I already have a team-mate

Frost and Jonah – a winning combination and pure TV gold. Jonah would be adorable.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I want to apply with @philmatt24 not because we’d win, but because our different styles would lend to good TV. might have a better chance of getting on.

Juuuuust so yinz know, getting voluntold that I’m doing things is triggering me, after the recent family reunion where I found out within a week of the event that I was in charge of the Climbing Wall excursion and was playing my ukulele for a campfire singalong (neither of which was run past me prior to my being assigned those tasks – I prob would’ve been fine with it if a courtesy inquiry had been made first.)

Josh
    Keymaster

betcha can’t build a lego trigger.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I tried…it is 7 weeks in LA. I cannot leave the family for 7 weeks…nor my “real” job! Darn it! Good luck @hacim!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Seven weeks? That’s a tall order, unless you live in LA. Would they film it over the summer when kids are out of school? Are they looking for retirees?

A little bird told me that they were trying to recruit female participants because they had none apply.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

@tcsbgdady Where did you hear about the seven weeks thing and what are the specifics? We also heard about that but we couldn’t find any information online. I pointed out to Rachel that on a show like Survivor, the whole season is shot before it’s broadcast, and once people are eliminated, they’re then sequestered on the second island for the duration of the shoot, because otherwise people will be able to figure out who’s eliminated before the show airs simply by observing who comes home first. For us, seven weeks is a deal-breaker. Rachel has a son that she can’t be away from for that long.

I don’t know if no women applied, but at BrickFairVA this past weekend, there were a couple scouts approaching people about being on the show, and Rachel was asked to apply solely on the basis that she is female – she had nothing on display at the convention (and neither did I, other than GBC event kits). Originally they wanted her to partner with another female, so she promptly went and asked Amanda Feuk (this year’s BrickWorld Master Builder winner, with whom we have a friendly relationship), but Amanda already had a partner, so Rachel was stuck with me as her partner instead. But the scouts thought they could sell that one too, since we’re a couple who met each other at a Lego convention (so romantic). So Rachel is working on filling out the application and we have a Skype interview scheduled for Friday morning.

Rachel is concerned that she doesn’t have the Lego skills for the show. Our friend Jeremy thought it might not be a big deal, he pointed out “if you watch Survivor, none of the people on that show can start a fire without a match, and half the people on it can’t start a fire with a match.” And scouts did tell us straight out that the first thing we have to sell the show people on is our personalities, and only after that do we convince them that we’re good Lego builders.

I can think of all kinds of reasons why we won’t win, so we’d be going on not expecting to, but Rachel still wants to be on it anyway. (I am less excited about being on national tv.) We took some time Sunday evening to watch some online clips from episodes of the UK and Australian shows, it’s most comparable to the competitive cooking shows and very standard in its excessively dramatic presentation of its material. A big factor on the show is the fixed time limit for building each round – we saw one where they had 11 hours, and for the finale they had 28 hours. I know Micah is good at building quickly and under pressure and still getting good results, as evidenced by those times at BrickWorld he showed up with nothing complete and still got nominated for trophies. The judging also seemed very subjective at times; if I won, I certainly wouldn’t consider it a validation that I’m the world’s best builder or anything.

Some of the GBC guys said they knew months ago that this show was coming (I had never heard of the show til it got posted here). Lawrie said they weren’t scouting at BrickWorld because they hadn’t started the process yet, and that they’re gonna have chosen participants before any other major con happens. So again I don’t have anything more specific but I would guess that they’re gonna shoot this fall so they can air next spring.

But again, the seven weeks thing is looming large as a stopping point for us. Presumably we’ll be able to get an answer on that Friday morning at the latest. Either way, I’ll certainly root for anybody I know who gets on the show.

David Bacon
    Participant

I just watched a clip from the Australian show and was surprised to see that they had a destruction challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCzjt2drovU Not for the faint of heart, but the end results were pretty neat.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I heard it from someone who said they were interviewed already.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Update: Me n Rachel made a decision this evening to not apply, and she sent an email tonight telling them that we’re not going to go forward with it and that we’re canceling the skype interview on Friday.

Dan
    Participant

This sounds cool! I’ll be cheering whoever gets in!

Tom Frost
    Participant

it is 7 weeks in LA. I cannot leave the family for 7 weeks…nor my “real” job!

Same.

Rootin for ya @hacim

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I actually decided to drop out of the application process. Didn’t feel like changing my class schedule to all online classes just for the slim chance that I get on the show.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Probably, all the master builders will be from LA. 🙂

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Aw, that’s too bad, I was looking forward to seeing Micah on the show. I also looked at Eli’s Flickr stream, and he’s a strong builder. The scout Rachel’s been talking to told her that it’s not uncommon for one participant to carry his less-experienced partner, so the two of them would’ve made a formidable pair.

Rachel is still trying to get on the show without me, she found somebody else to be her partner. Her Skype interview is on Friday. I’ll post an update after that.

I do know that the ‘seven weeks’ starts October 28 and runs through mid-December. If you’re eliminated, you can leave right away. But if you’re not, then you’re required to stay for the duration (except at Thanksgiving, when they pay to fly you home), you can’t leave, say for a weekend, even if you arrange your own travel. It sounds like participants are building ten hours a day, six days a week.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Arthur, having retired just two years ago, would have been perfect for this. 🙁

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar