MAC bids

Home Forums All Things LEGO! MAC bids

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Anyone hear of M@C bids yet?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/m-c-discount/id1337779816

Or https://www.mac.bid/

It’s an app and website auction place. Has all sorts of stuff, and apparently limited only to pittsburgh area. I just got a treehouse set for $120 and it seems to check out.

You have to pick it up in McKees rocks, Washington, or butler.

As long as we don’t bid against each other, pretty sweet source for sets.

Travis
    Participant

How legit is this? I live in Butler so you’ve piqued my interest.

Krista K

We use it quite often. My Brother-in-Law got us onto it. Our experience has actually been pretty good with it. You can go see an item before you bid, which is nice.

The only thing is that the fees tend to add up.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Krista K.
    Tim Brown
    Participant

Very legit. Basically, when people return items to Amazon and other big box retailers they often can’t just turn around and sell it to someone else. Maybe the box is damaged, maybe the item is missing parts, maybe it’s straight up broke. Those big boxes then sell all those returns by the pallet load to liquidators like mac bid at a very steep discount. Mac Bid in turn either auctions the pallets off as-is or breaks them down and auctions the individual items. Bids start at $1, auctions last only a few days. New auctions are posted daily. M-F. There is a hefty buyers premium that you need to factor in when bidding. BUYER BEWARE. There are virtually no refunds, all items are sold as is. You can and should go inspect items before bidding on them. You have 3 days to pick up the item. If you fail to do so, it is considered abandoned and you lose both your money and your item. So make sure you can go get it. That said, used properly you can items that are in virtually new condition for half price even less.

LEGO specific. Our experience with Lego is that the boxes are usually damaged, but the bricks inside are usually still sealed in their plastic bags. Not always (sometimes they are just in there loose)…so again BUYER BEWARE. Price wise LEGO sets rarely go for less than %50 of list. Often the rarer/bigger sets go for much more. Factor in the fees and it ends up not really being a good deal. Kinda just depends on who’s bidding on what at any given time. Expect to go to Butler for smaller sets and Washington for Larger Sets. Can be gotten at any of the four locations (The Beaver location is new) but those are the typical places the they get listed at.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I had not been aware of this site before. I took a quick look at it, one thing I did notice is that some of the retail prices listed are not actually accurate, which looked suspiciously to me like a trick to get people to bid higher thinking that they’re still getting a deal when they’re not.

Tim Brown
    Participant

Yes, I definitely don’t recommend going of what Mac Bid says is the list price. I am pretty sure they just use some automated code to pull in those prices and it’s not always accurate. We always check places that are selling the item new for more accurate prices.

Josh
    Keymaster

FYI, just got back from a set that had multiple bags missing. nothing you can do. I paid ~$60 for bag 1, 4, and 5 of set 31097. pretty crummy. nothing in the listing said anything about missing bags or incomplete.

Travis
    Participant

I noticed some lego listings said open box. I wondered if sets like that were ransacked for minifigs or specific pieces

Tim Brown
    Participant

If it says open box, it’s a gamble. Almost all auctions are Open Box. It’s their middle classification that let’s them say that they don’t see obvious damage but it’s sold as is with no guarantee of completeness or condition. They encourage you to go inspect the item yourself to make sure. For us non Lego items have been mixed bag. Got a Digital Piano that was like new, got a very nice electric guitar that was in great condition except that it was missing a screw on the double humbucker (Easily obtained from the local guitar shop). Got an instant pot that didn’t turn on (threw it away, out $20). Got a rower that was broke but not apparent by looking in the box. Didn’t find out until I set it up. Company didn’t have replacement part, but I broke it down and reshaped the spring coil (Part that was broke), it now works almost as good as new. With Legos we have been fortunate. We have purchased somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 sets ranging from small to large. All of them have been in good condition with all the parts there. Bottom line is that Mac Bid is not a sure thing. So as always BUYER BEWARE.

Will McDine
    Participant

I was holding off on this for a while because they didn’t have any sets I really wanted… now there’s one on there and I found myself in a 5 minute bidding war…

Tim Brown
    Participant

Oof. Yeah, we use this to get sets for our kids. Makes it easier to let go when the bid goes beyond our predetermined stopping point. Would be tougher if you really want a specific item. Had a bit of a bidding war on my guitar. Still got it for a really good price, but significantly more than I was originally expecting.

Josh
    Keymaster
    Mitch
    Participant

Worth Noting I have one multiple Justifiers that all had the figs removed, I had bought the protection so I got my money back but it seems sets with valuable figures are not worth trying to get through this site

Kevin
    Participant

Worth Noting I have one multiple Justifiers that all had the figs removed, I had bought the protection so I got my money back but it seems sets with valuable figures are not worth trying to get through this site

That’s exactly why I have balked at sets like that one and the Daily Bugle from there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar