New Member!

Home Forums Introductions New Member!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Sarah
    Participant

Hello! My name is Sarah. I’m 21 going on 22 years old. I’m currently working on getting an engineering degree from Penn State. I recently started getting back into legos. I’ve mainly been working on the creator sets, modular houses and superhero sets. I’ve been really enjoying building but would love to learn more about MOCs or just build with other people.

When i started watching a lego documentary they had information in it which mentioned what a ‘LUG’ was. I was so happy to see there were others in the community like me! I look forward to hopefully getting to meet with everyone.

– Sarah

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Welcome, Sarah! Check out this thread for discussion on our next meeting: http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/q1-2016-meeting/

We may have some informal build days between now and the first quarter meeting, but other than that, winter is typically our slower season. But keep an eye out for threads about open build days, etc!

Tom Frost
    Participant

Welcome, Sarah!

Tim

would love to learn more about MOCs

Welcome Sarah. You will find a variety of good MOC builders within our LUG, regardless of your area of Lego interest. Our upcoming Q1 meeting and build challenge might be a great event for you to expand into MOC building. For the challenge, participants are being asked to build a favorite set (preferably an “old” out of production set) and then create an “updated” version using new pieces or building techniques. One example of this could be here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/41914153@N03/17089951350/in/pool-steelcitylug/. Walter created this updated version of the X-1 Patrol Craft from the early 1980s (https://www.toysperiod.com/img/cache/a0/800×600/d4e4o5g414j3y404x2d4v2q234q2r2h4v5f4042354v2r294x2u2.jpg).

Regardless, welcome aboard and hope to meet you in person soon!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Tim.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Hi Sarah, we are spread around Allegheny County and beyond so we often ask where new members are located. In your case, it would be good to know which campus you attend so we have an idea of when you’ll be in the area.

We’re looking forward to seeing what you can contribute to the group – especially if its time and engineering expertise. 🙂

Pete
    Participant

Welcome Sarah.

Sarah
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Right now I commute to Campus, which is Greater Allegheny/McKeesport campus. I live in Irwin, PA right now though. As long as it’s not a huge distance I’m willing to travel. 🙂 I’d be happy to work with you.

If anyone is interested, sort of off topic, but I run a small business called JS Princess Parties. I bring character entertainment for children’s birthday parties and public events and charities. The reason I bring it up is that I have a lot of experience planning events and working with libraries and such. If that could be useful I’d be happy to lend a hand.

The website is http://www.JSPrincessParties.com if anyone is interested in seeing what we do.

Thanks again!
    – Sarah

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Meetings and events could be anywhere in the Greater PGH area, but Irwin isn’t too far for most events (depending on how you define “too far”, I suppose…) You’re definitely closer than, say, Behrend or Main.

If anyone is interested, sort of off topic, but I run a small business called JS Princess Parties. I bring character entertainment for children’s birthday parties and public events and charities. The reason I bring it up is that I have a lot of experience planning events and working with libraries and such. If that could be useful I’d be happy to lend a hand.

We have a branch in the forums for “off topic”, but we’ll allow it in this case, because you’re new and it’s kind of still a “getting to know you” thing – now we know where to go when we need to hire a “Galactic Hero”! 😉

That’s pretty cool though. We’ve developed a great relationship with Cranberry Public Library, and have done several events and displays there. We’re working on some other library connections – have done a display or two at Bethel Park as well, and I’ve made contacts with several other branches of the CLPGH / ACLA family where I’m hoping we can do a massive collaborative series of displays in conjunction with their summer reading theme this year. (Details forthcoming; I have 3 or 4 branches besides Cranberry where we may be able to do this if we have the interest from members to build that much.) So yeah, your experience could lend nicely to that effort – I’ll try to remember to tag you when I post more info in a few weeks, but keep your eyes peeled for that thread too in case I forget! (my memory in my old age ain’t what it used to be…)

Dan
    Participant

Welcome Sarah!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I run a small business called JS Princess Parties. I bring character entertainment for children’s birthday parties and public events and charities.

One of the handful of LEGO Certified Professionals brings buckets of parts to parties. She is based near Chicago.
    http://www.brickology.com

Sarah
    Participant

One of the handful of LEGO Certified Professionals brings buckets of parts to parties. She is based near Chicago.
    http://www.brickology.com

Wow! I had not heard of that. Thanks Greg! That would be so amazing to add.

Paula
    Participant

Hi Sarah! I have all the princess Lego sets! I’m glad to see another princess in the group!
    Welcome!

Sarah
    Participant

I don’t actually have any of the princess sets yet! I’m hoping to get some of the Frozen ones though. I’d love to do a Lego Princess event sometime for girls where the princesses get to play with the legos too!

Paula
    Participant

We need to be friends. Elsa is my spirit animal!

Laura
    Participant

Welcome! Us ladies will take over yet! >:)

Josh
    Keymaster

……..

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

……..

………

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar