New To SCLUG

Home Forums Introductions New To SCLUG

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant

I’m a hobby builder with the Lego Classic sets (love the “Main Street” feel).I’m into the trains as well! Have been building for about 4 years and just discovered your site. I’d love to find out more about the Ligonier Train Tour next week!

Steve

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Brick built giant ducks? I like this guy’s style already.

Welcome aboard! Come see us!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Steve, thanks for introducing yourself. Are those all original LEGO trees in your photo?

Also, did you see the thread about @laura ‘s dream about a “tall ships” display at the Washington trolley museum this summer? It seems like the USS Constellation would fit right in with that display.

Josh
    Keymaster

Welcome, Steve!

here’s the thread for the train display this coming weekend – http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/ligonier-valley-rr-tour/

post in it to get some activity 🙂

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Indeed, welcome! The LVRR train event is a very low key and fun activity. @timf is leading it, and could provide more info (but discussions would be best kept on that thread for simplicity… 🙂 )

Tim

I’d love to find out more about the Ligonier Train Tour next week!

As Matt mentions above, LVRR is a one-day, low key event. It would a great introduction to our group. While we normally have 4-5 members attend, this year it is likely only going to be 2 of us (3 if you come, Steve). Would be great to see you there. We will be at Huber Hall in downtown Latrobe.

Steve
    Participant

Thanks all for the warm welcome! To answer a few questions:
    1) the trees are not LEGO. They are actually Louis Marx playset trees from the 50s. Thought they looked good in scale.
    2) The giant ducks are a facsimile of the water rides you see in many places. I’m trying to recreate the Baltimore inner harbor look and feel (including the USS Constellation).
    3) As you can see, I’m really into the LEGO trains as well. While all are not motorized, many are and it’s fun/difficult to run several at a time on a single loop track!

I reduced the file size of some pictures. Hope they load!

Steve

Attachments:
    Steve
    Participant

Here are some more photos

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Steve,

I just mentioned this on Chris’ intro thread, but since we didn’t mention here:

If you’re available, our quarterly meeting is next Saturday, 5/27, and is a great place to get to know people! We also have a build challenge you could participate in, if you’re so inclined.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Welcome Steve. What part of the city are you in?

Josh
    Keymaster

didn’t know they made lime trees! Came in 1 set in 2013.

Steve
    Participant

I live in Fairmont, WV (about 20 miles south of Morgantown). You guys seem to be the closest Lego group around.

Regarding the trees, yes they are lime trees that are part of one set. The other trees (at the end of the lake and around the Constellation) are the Marx trees from the 50s.

Is the Ligonier show a large multi-group display? I’m unfamiliar with it. Where is it located? Also, where does the group meet? I see that it’s on Memorial weekend Saturday. If I’m available, may I join the group?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Is the Ligonier show a large multi-group display? I’m unfamiliar with it. Where is it located?

Huber Hall in Latrobe. We’re the only LEGO group, but there are several other model train displays in the fire hall, and they hand out maps to various in-home displays in the area which are open to attendees on that day. There’s one guy who has a train through his yard that’s big enough to ride (I think the track gauge is about 8-10″), fun for kids. And another who has a display (floor to ceiling) above his two (three?) car garage… some pretty impressive stuff!

Also, where does the group meet? I see that it’s on Memorial weekend Saturday. If I’m available, may I join the group?

The quarterly meetings are usually at Josh’s house, 824 Greenhaven Dr, Bethel Park PA 15102. You can come, but be prepared for several hours of grueling initiation and hazing… 😉

Tim

Latrobe would be a bit of a haul from Fairmont (maybe 3 hours).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar