Nuclear Test Diesel

Home Forums MOCs Nuclear Test Diesel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Perhaps the most unusual train project I’ve worked on, here’s preliminary renders of a 1954 General Electric Diesel fitted with 400hp motor and copious amounts of lead for safely hauling radioactive nuclear engines for jet test aircraft at a Idaho test site. It sat between two tracks for huge flatbeds, though I plan on having it run on center of track like a normal train.

If it’s a weird or dangerous train, I have to model it. When I build it for real, it may be perfect for shunting cargo cars in a future switchyard display as it’s built for the new Powered UP and could be programmable if anyone knows how to use that tech, like the trolley running at CSC and Home and Garden, you could have it going back and forth.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan
    Participant

Now this is cool! I had never heard of this before. It seems quintessentially 1950’s technology – trains & atoms!

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Thanks. Between this and my Helium transport car, I might be able to integrate the trains with the rocket guy’s display. 🙂

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Also built this Lead Lined Diesel over the past couple of weeks, as some might have caught video of it rolling on my tabletop test track. Here’s still photos of it, in color.

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

Looks great! I’m surprised the metallic candle piece (probably a horn on the real loco) is flush in the render, but doesn’t clip flat on the actual build.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Thanks. Turns out it did clip flat after I pushed it in all the way. LOL

Attachments:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar