Parts Draft

Home Forums LUG discussions Parts Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

…I’m also leaning towards the Round Robin parts draft that Tim was talking about, and I am thinking of the Mirkwood Spiders set. Anyone have other thoughts? And is $30 too expensive to draft?

Re: Draft – I guess it depends on how that works. Would everyone who wants to participate buy a copy of the set, then bring it in and put it into the pool for drafting? If so, I’d say that “too expensive” is defined by those interested in participation. If some folks want to drop $30 but others would prefer something in the $15-20 range, do two separate drafts… or something. Also, as I mentioned at the meeting, that set does have some pretty great parts!

can I ask you guys to break out the parts draft to another thread?

Josh, you know we’d do anything for you… [honestly, this is the first time I’ve ever been a regular participant in a forum, and it’s easy for me to forget that you can keep topics separate, but here we go.]

• This topic was modified 11 years, 4 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Josh
    Keymaster

FORUM RULE #1 – NO THREADJACKING!

/thread jack.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Another thought – if $30 is too much for someone but they still want to participate, find a buddy and split the cost, and alternate picks when your shared turn comes up.  Just brainstorming…

Tim

There are several different ways to conduct a parts draft.  The method that I have participated in most frequently and liked the best is as follows:

(i) everyone buys the same pre-agreed upon set; (ii) at the draft, each person has a clear plastic container (like a food storage container); (iii) each person dumps the entire contents of the box (less instructions) into their bin; (iii) at the start of the draft, each person removes a predetermined number of pieces from his container (5 pieces work well – if it is a larger set, 10 pieces could be drafted each round); (iv) once everyone has removed their selection, each person passes the bin to the person on the left; (v) repeat until all parts have been selected.

I’m fine with $30 for the Mirkwood spiders (79001).  For $40, 79004 Barrell Escape or 9476 Orc Forge would be good drafting sets, especially for Castle.  If we wanted a town draft, 5766 Log Cabin ($30) or 31009 Small Cottage ($25) look like good sets.  Heck, if it’s a good enough set, I’ll draft a $100 set.  😀

Also, I still would like to do a minifig draft with a box of Series 9 figs.  Maybe we should start a separate thread just on a minifig draft to see who is interested in that.

I like your methodology for the draft, and I’m leaning towards the $30 vs. the $40, I know it doesn’t make that much of a difference, but I would rather toss the extra money towards the Series 9 draft.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Sounds good, but also sounds like we might need an entire Saturday to get through a larger set… I’m imagining sifting through 1000 pieces trying to find that one tiny rarity before passing a bin on to the next guy…. heh.

The concept intrigues me, and I’d definitely participate in the $30-40 range to get a feel for it.  Not sure whether I’d want to jump into a more expensive one right away…

Zemata
    Participant

Sounds pretty fun.  Just name a date, set, and location and I’ll be there with a copy.

Tim

Let’s do $30 max set for the first draft so everyone can get a feel for it.  What set do we want to draft?  When do we want to do it?

I’m fine with Mirkwood Spiders (79001), Log Cabin (5766) or Small Cottage (31009).  I’ll also propose February 9 after the Lego Party event.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Hey Doug… Log Cabin (5766) has turkey legs…

Tim, do you think we could use the library’s room for the draft, or are you suggesting we migrate to a different location for that?

Of course, we also need to disassemble the Great Wall after the event (not before, of course, because we want the participants to see it!)  So I’d imagine we’d be talking about starting the draft not much earlier than 3 PM, by the time the participants clear out, we clean up the event brick, and box up the Great Wall… how long does a draft take for a ~300pc set?

Zemata
    Participant

unfortunately I won’t be able to attend on the 9th because I work until 3   /:

Mirkwood Spiders comes in at about 303 pieces, so if we do a 10 piece draw for each turn, we could probably draft in an hour. The wall took an hour to go up, so I’m thinking about 45 minutes to come down?

Doug
    Participant

Hmmm, I’m OK with Mirkwood Spiders, strictly speaking, however now that I look at it I’m not sure there are many pieces there that interest me (although I can definitely see why others would be interested!).

Hey Doug… Log Cabin (5766) has turkey legs…

I know, dude, where do you think I got my first taste of Lego turkey leg magic?!

I would be absolutely fine with the Small Cottage.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Wall disassembly – Might be we can take down the Wall pretty quickly, really.  I’d expect one guy in the case passing plates out to the others.  Only thing we need to do other than box up our respective plates is take off our minifigs and other detail parts that may have ended up on each other’s plates.  Tim’s, of course, require a bit of disassembly, but still – my experience is tearing things down is always quicker than building them up (and fussing with the details…)

Draft – Do minifigs come disassembled for parts drafts?  And I suppose the whole point is that everybody contributes the same set, so it’d be insanity to have a few people bring Mirkwood Spiders and a few bring Log Cabin…

Library is open til 4 on Saturdays.  We might want to look into another date for the draft, though, so Evan can participate.  Unless we’d move to a different location and hold the draft at 4 or so, so he could get there after work…?

Who all is in so far?  Seems like Tim, Andrew, Doug, Evan, and me… Josh hasn’t really expressed interest… and I imagine others may see this between now and then.

Zemata
    Participant

woops   I was reading it as January not feb this whole time.  Yeah I’ll be there at 1 on the 9th with a copy of mirkwood spiders.

I though it was odd that the wall would only be up for two days….*laughs at self*

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Tim, should we be contacting Rachael or someone else at the library before presuming we can use that room after the father/son event?  I’d think we’d want to ask for it from 2:30 (or whenever the participants clear out) until 4 (when the library closes).  That will give us some time to tear down the Wall display, and also give us incentive to keep things moving with the draft.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Idea: start off with a few rounds of 5 parts per round, so that if certain parts are in high demand everyone has a shot at getting a few.  Maybe for the first time around – if 5 people participate, 5 rounds of 5 parts, then move to rounds of 10 until we run out.  Not dead set on this, just thinking…

Tim

Hey Doug… Log Cabin (5766) has turkey legs… Tim, do you think we could use the library’s room for the draft, or are you suggesting we migrate to a different location for that? Of course, we also need to disassemble the Great Wall after the event (not before, of course, because we want the participants to see it!) So I’d imagine we’d be talking about starting the draft not much earlier than 3 PM, by the time the participants clear out, we clean up the event brick, and box up the Great Wall… how long does a draft take for a ~300pc set?

We could migrate to one of the exterior spaces outside the Library but still inside the building.  I don’t think it will take very long to disassemble the display.  Maybe 20-25 minutes tops.  It is always quicker taking it down than putting it up.  Also, the parts draft probably would be about 30-45 minutes.  Maybe an hour since this is the first time, but they actually go surprisingly quick.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Probably we should give it a week or two to see if anyone else is interested, then take a final vote on which set to draft, eh?  Maybe we leave it open until Jan 26 or Feb 2, then close it, finalize the set, and give everyone at least a week to order / buy the set?  Or am I making this too complicated now?

My preference would be Mirkwood Spiders (79001), Log Cabin (5766) or Small Cottage (31009), in that order.

Tim

Sounds good to me.  Let’s get a headcount and everyone interested, please reply with which set(s) you would be interested in drafting.  We can then tabulate the votes and decide upon the set.

Matt: “My preference would be Mirkwood Spiders (79001), Log Cabin (5766) or Small Cottage (31009), in that order.”

Tim: I would go with, in order of preference, Small Cottage (31009), Mirkwood Spiders (79001), and Log Cabin (5766).

Zemata
    Participant

mirkwood spiders, small cottage, then log cabin for me.  I’m after those black thorn pieces!  Also don’t forget to account for BS and socializing time lol

I need to echo Matt, with Mirkwood Spiders, Log Cabin, and Small Cottage for my list, in order of preference.

Tim

Ok, it looks like most people are favoring the Mirkwood Spiders set (79001) for a parts draft on February 9 (after the 1 hour Library event and the tear down of the Great Wall display), so let’s go with that set. Everyone who wants to participate, please bring one (unopened) set and a clear plastic bin large enough to hold all the pieces in the set.

We can settle on all the minor details (how many pieces per round, etc.) at the draft.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Dan (or anyone):  79001 Escape From Mirkwood Spiders was the consensus for this draft.  If you have Amazon Prime, it’s on there for $26.50 or so, free 2-day shipping.  If not, I think Target and Walmart have it for a bit less than the $30 MSRP… or you could wire me the money and I could use my Prime account to get it for ya.

Anyone who wants to participate, get your hands on the set, and don’t forget to bring a clear plastic container to pass around!  (hmm, I suppose we each need somewhere to put the parts we draft, as well – back in the box?)

Tim

I picked mine up at Wal-Mart – $29.95.  Plastic zip-loc bags work good f0r parts transfers.  🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I didn’t see the answer to the earlier question: what happens to the minifigs during the parts draft?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar