Parts Draft

Home Forums LUG discussions Parts Draft

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

My thoughts would be we either (a) omit them from the draft, and everyone keeps one set of minifigs, or (b) we draft them, part by part, just like everything else.  Thus, if you really want Legolas, you’d use 5 picks to get him (including bow, hair, head, torso, legs…)

But then, I’ve never done a parts draft… maybe Tim can let us know what he’s done in the past.

Tim

All the drafts I’ve participated in, the minfigs were always done as separate parts.  That allows someone who just wants a certain part (for example, torsos) to get that part Without having to take the entire fig.  So yes, to get the entire Legolas figure, you would need to use five part selections.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Well, that’ll make it easier for you guys. Not interested in these minifigs at all this go-round.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Just trying to get a feel for who is participating; based on the thread replies, these folks seem to be either in or considering it:

Matt
    Andrew
    Tim
    Evan
    Doug
    Greg
    Rich
    Dan W.

And based on the Doodle (http://doodle.com/b6ryi4w98q2v6xte), only Tim, Doug, and I have confirmed for the draft. Not that it’s a huge deal if people participate and didn’t “sign up” via the Doodle, but it seems like it may affect ride sharing if some folks are drafting and others want to leave after tearing down the wall.

Doug
    Participant

it seems like it may affect ride sharing if some folks are drafting and others want to leave after tearing down the wall. Author

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this (Lego) wall!

Tim

One could use set 21011 Brandenburg Gate as a backdrop to recreate President Reagan’s June 12, 1987 “Tear Down This Wall” speech.

Tim

Great draft yesterday everyone even though we had to finish it outside in the snow. 🙂  I look forward to the next one.  I liked starting at 5 parts per round and then shifting in the middle to 10 parts per round.  It seemed to speed thing up after that while still allowing lots of great parts selection early on for everyone.

Now I just have to try to make something coherent out of the parts I got!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yea, my carload was discussing that – we think perhaps the best plan is one round of 5 parts / turn (i.e. – you do 5 until you get your original container back), then up it to 10/turn to speed it up.

We’ll see what comes out of my draft… if I have time to try something…

Rich Millich
    Participant

Agreed with the 5 part first round until the original package returns. This way builders can pick out the truly rare parts in a set that they really want, but not *all* of them. After that, 10 sounds best. This of course assumes another 300 part set, which seems to be about the right expense (and length of time) for a Parts Draft.

Tim

I like the 5 parts for the first round and then 10 thereafter.  I think we went around twice at 5 before shifting to 10.  Regardless, my time estimate was definitely off.  We should assume 1.5-2 hours for a 300 part set.

I’m willing to consider drafting just about any size set but the $20-30 set range appears to be optimal.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Larger sets wouldn’t be a problem if we didn’t have mistaken information about the availability of our meeting space.  If we do them at someone’s house, we’ll be fine.  Or, now that we’ve done one (6 people x 300 pcs = 1.5 hours minimum), we just make sure to allow plenty of time.  Or have a time limit per round (at least in the early rounds) so people don’t let things drag on…

One other thought: the larger containers were much easier as far as finding what you wanted quickly; maybe in the future we can use the big clear rectangular containers (the ones Josh brought) or get Doug to pick up some of those shallow white trays (I think he said they were $1 – I’d chip in for one).  Only downside would be keeping track of when to switch from 5/rd to 10/rd, but that’s just math or post-it notes.

Josh
    Keymaster

yeah, I got 48 of those (4 packs of 12 since I needed 40) for the classes I teach, and my idea was to keep them as my sorting bins when I sort.  So, they should be available whenever we need them.

Tim

I’ll chip in a few dollars for the Ikea white trays.  They were really nice for the parts drafting.

Zemata
    Participant

Yeah a “drafting set” of those trays would be fabulous.  The draft was fun but we gotta do it somewhere where we aren’t going to be evicted next time!

Tim

Summary of Needs for Next Part Draft:

More Time
    Better Location (one where we don’t get kicked out halfway through the Draft – see “More Time”)
    Larger drafting bins/trays
    Refined Drafting procedures (i.e. 5 parts in Round 1, 10 parts in all subsequent rounds – can be modified by agreement depending upon size of set being drafted)

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar