Philly Brickfest Sept 11-14

Home Forums LUG discussions Philly Brickfest Sept 11-14

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Chris on the dollar just reached out to Matt and I to talk about the fall philly brickfest.

It will be formatted much like a brickfest live event (think kidsfest) but they are going to make it a little like an AFOL event still (Apparently, they *have* to, in order to keep their LEGO support or something). To help us out, they’re going to make it free for Steel City LUG members.

So anyway, here’s what we know:

Hello LEGO Fans!

We wanted to let you know that our next event is returning to the Philly Expo Center September 11-14. Like Philly BrickFest in April, you will be able to register here to display your creations, receive an event kit, and participate in FOL activities, games, and more!

We expect that this event will have a more intimate group of FOLs as compared to the April event and we also plan on trying some new games using some of the new attractions we have created. We are really looking forward to showing you what we have been working on and look forward to receiving your feedback!

Attached are some pictures of our new hands-on attractions.

The September event event will have a new format/show schedule as follows:

Thursday September 11 –
    10am-5pm – FOL setup
    3pm-4pm – Musical MOCs
    5pm-6pm – Mosaic Contest
    7pm-9pm – Mobile Frame Zero

Friday September 12 –
    12pm-2pm – Freebuild Contest
    2pm-3pm – Fastest/Coolest Derby Car Contest
    4pm-8:30pm – Public Session
    10pm-12pm – Bowling for Bricks

Saturday September 13 –
    9am-1:30pm – First Public Session
    1:30pm-3pm – break
    3pm-7:30pm – Second Public Session
    8pm-9pm – Horizontal Build Contest
    10pm – Impaired Speed Build Contest

Sunday September 14 –
    9am-1:30pm – First Public Session
    1:30pm-3pm – break
    3pm-7:30pm – Second Public Session

7:30pm – teardown

And we will be adding more games and events in the leadup to September.
    This event will be something of a fusion between our our kid-focused public events and a FOL-centric event. While we will have five sessions open to the public we will also have a large number of games and activities for our private attendees.

anyone interested?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yea, I originally thought they had said it’d be the following weekend, but I’m already booked on the weekend of the 13th, so unfortunately, I’m out.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’ll have to look into this more post-BrickFair, but I am definitely interested.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Me and my dad (Rick) are certainly interested.
    I’ll look in to it some more, but I think there is a decent chance we will go.
    BTW, is there any set number of people from the LUG that would have to be there?

Josh
    Keymaster

No set number. We would be welcome as individuals or as a club layout. I’ll most likely sit this one out, but certainly willing to provide LUG materials and MOCs to anyone who is willing.

Let me know as any of you know you want to go and I can mediate for you, or let me know if you’re willing to take on the leadership role and I’ll put you in contact with the crew.

I’ll encourage anyone to go, as a LUG or as individuals. Let me know how I can support your decisions.

Josh
    Keymaster

uh oh. Just saw on facebook the explorien fleet is making a return.

http://i.instagram.com/p/nRsaZDl395/

Dan
    Participant

I’m interested, but cannot yet commit.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m working on arranging to go to this one, even if it’s by myself. I’m not sure Susie can take the requisite days off work. This one is attractive to me because my sister and my cousin have boys of Lego age (and now that my oldest nephew is no longer into Legos, I know there’s a limited window of opportunity) and they’ve never seen me display, and Philly is the easiest place for them to day trip to. My cousin has already purchased her Sunday morning session tix.

I would like to take my GBC since I know it fits in my car and I know people who wanna see it. I don’t know how many other GBCers will be there (we can ask the PennLUG guys) but I should be able to rig it up to feed back to itself easily enough, and I think I can make it more reliable than it was this past weekend, especially if I’m controlling the inflow. It means anybody hanging out near it though would have to be able to tolerate its incessant whirring and clicking, as well as possibly dodge the occassional Lego soccerball.

I could also consider taking my park & observation platform. The latter still needs to be rebuilt, and ideally redesigned. I also have been acquiring tree parts for expansion, as well as parts to expand the fountain. I don’t know how good it will look w/o a city/town display next to it though. So I’m interested to see what everybody else might bring. One thing I definitely noticed at BrickFair is that that kind of display doesn’t need to be big as long as it’s done well, so we don’t need to worry about covering a huge area like we did at Ligonier.

I probably would not take the white castle, I have big plans to redesign it so that it is no longer 8′ high, and instead can sit on a table and people of normal height can see into the rooms and whatnot. That will be a much more serious undertaking and I won’t be getting the castle back til 2 weeks before BrickFest.

If Dan Walker comes I might get a space monorail built by then.

But that’s just me, I’m interested in what everybody else thinks they might be able to bring, if they can come.

Josh
    Keymaster

I can send anything, but won’t be going. I have to sit down and prioritize my next builds, but plans for landscaped track circuit on 48s is on there for Greenberg. Maybe I can pull them together if you think a town layout is called for.

Anyone up for coordinating the layout?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I am definitely not that person. In anticipation of BrickFair, when I still thought we’d might do a town/train layout there, I had planned to take both my park and my GBC module. This weekend I remarked to Susie that it was probably a good thing that that didn’t happen, or I would’ve been in over my head. So now I have the experience of transporting and assembling the GBC (I also had a major part failure at BrickFair that forced me to buy a Batman set at Target for parts so I could MacGyver my build on Friday), I think I can take both, but just doing so will be a major accomplishment for me, so I’ll be overloaded if I have to coordinate also.

test
    Participant

OK, it struck me that I saw something within the last week indicating that CotD needed to know how much space we’d need pretty darn quick. I assume we’re going to do a little road scene with buildings and Ben’s park and then Ben will have his GBC on the end of the table. Ben–you’re going to have to jump in here. What MOCs do we need to borrow from others? Can we use Tim’s roads? What are Micah and Rich bringing?

With all those questions, though, I think it’s safe to say that we can tell CotD that we need probably one table. Am I underestimating? If that’s fair, I think Josh can go ahead and let him know.

I won’t be at Cranberry next week, but that’ll be a good place to exchange MOCs if you can. (If this means I have to come so we have my car, I can do that.) I’d like to have an inventory of what we’re borrowing and going to display by that time. Josh, we’ll also need a sign and some additional business cards.

thanks!
    Susie

Tim

Can we use Tim’s roads?

Absolutely, just let me know what you want. I can bring them to the Library tear down.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I am not sure what we will be bringing yet, but it will probably just be a couple of small things, as are collection is rather limited. I will talk about it with my dad tonight, and we will hopefully know what we are bringing by tomorrow, or Sunday at the latest.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I have been emailing the people going about possible buildings to take for a small town section next to the park. In this pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8994372@N04/14361796527/in/set-72157645497921823

you can see a blue building right next to the Emporium. Is that a Doug building? Did he take it with him to Colorado? Did he take his other modified rowhouses? One or two of them might be useful for us in Philly.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

In the same pic there’s a sand blue building facing the Knight Bus. I think it’s an expanded Pet Shop, and next to it (mostly out of sight, and I didn’t catch it any of my pics) is an expanded other-half-of-the Pet Shop. Who built those? My first guess is Tim but I’m not sure.

Update: I found a better view in Dac’s pics, I think it’s just a regular Pet Shop after all.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m not sure about the blue one, Ben, but the three row houses are Doug’s – he built the house half of the Pet Shop set in different colors. So, those aren’t available to us any more, but it would be a fairly simple project for someone with brick on hand to replicate…

EDIT: Actually, I think Doug did build the blue one to make his 1.5 baseplates into a full 2 baseplates. So yeah.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Micah Beideman
    Participant

After some discussion with my father, it looks like we will only be bringing one build with a base size of about 2 feet by 2 feet. And encase anyone is wondering, it will be a kinda sci-fi extra terrestrial invasion build.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

is it this one?

The Story of Neptal

Tim

you can see a blue building right next to the Emporium. Is that a Doug building?

Nope, that is a Tim building. 🙂 You are more than welcome to it for Philly.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Good, cause I want it. Yes please. I can you a message about how much road I need once I have a better idea how much I need. The rough plan right now:

We have a block of modulars, they will be: Susie’s Fire Brigade, possibly with extra floor, Joe’s three buidings, Tim’s blue building, Susie’s PC, exact order TBA. I’m not sure if I can come up with any other non-set modulars before Philly, I think all of Tim’s other buildings have grass the whole way around, so we’ll save those for Cincy and/or Greenberg. So I’m looking for a stretch of road to go in front them, and possibly an intersection and a road going back at one end of them, or maybe both ends, and that’s it.

I’m also thinking of taking trains. The problem is that I don’t have any built trains right now. I’m guessing we’re not going to see our resident Train Guru before Philly. I have enough 9V track of my own (since it’s gonna be a small display) and a 9V regulator, but I’ll need two (since apparently they need to be rotated when they start to tire out) motorized trains. Any volunteers? I’m not sure all has them available, I’m thinking my best bets are Tim and Evan, and maybe Matt? I wasn’t always sure whose was what at Ligonier.

test
    Participant

I have those Creator sets I bought in Virginia — the family house, tree house and beach house. Should I try to build one or two? Will we need them?

thanks!
    Susie (who is covered in spackling)

Micah Beideman
    Participant

is it this one?

No, that model is a forced perspective build, so it would not look very good in real life.
    The model we will be bringing is still a WIP.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Do you want the big yellow bridge sculpture for Philly? They probably hate Pittsburgh there, seriously, but kids might like it. It takes me about an hour to set it up and I usually have to look at photos to figure out how it goes back together. The photo below is a clue to the sequence of buildings that go on the bridge.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

The fact that Philly thinks they’re better than us is all the more reason to take it (along with Steelers and Penguins logos). We could definitely make room for it in the display too, but there’s one fundamental problem that may be insurmountable, and that’s getting it there. We only have two cars. I’m pretty sure mine is already maxed out and I’ll be needing Micah & Rick to take some or all of Joe & Tim’s buildings. I haven’t seen Micah’s car yet but I’ll be scoping it out on Saturday.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

The fact that Philly thinks they’re better than us is all the more reason to take it (along with Steelers and Penguins logos).

Preach.

@SinceFlyersLastCup is a fantastic Twitter account – daily updates on how long it’s been since the Flyers last won the Stanley Cup – right now, they’re chronicling the quest for 40 (years #SinceFlyersLastCup). Lulz.

there’s one fundamental problem that may be insurmountable, and that’s getting it there.

Strap it to the roof!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar