Physical Color Palettes

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Physical Color Palettes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

And you’re sure it’s actually Maersk blue? I’d be super concerned that I had listed a different color as Maersk, given the scarcity and age of that piece.

Josh’s post got me thinking about the frustration when you’re almost sure you have the right blue (or the right metallic silvery color, etc.) but not quite…

Does anyone in the LUG actually build/maintain color palettes such as these?

2012 Colour Palette

It’s a bit daunting to think of acquiring every current and historical color (and of course, not every color has a convenient part like the 2×2 tiles shown) on one’s own, but perhaps between all of us members, we could contribute towards a shared palette, or create a few that could reside at the compass points (i.e. one at my house cuz I’m dead center, one at Josh’s for South, one at Tim’s for North, one at… who lives in Monroeville / Coraopolis, lol?)

You know, for those times when we need to verify that we’re not shipping a $15 brick to Germany that’s actually a $0.07 brick? 😉

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Interesting, I’m curious as to how people will respond to this. I know a couple people at the conventions who have charts like this that are as comprehensive as possible, and they get pretty obsessed over finding every color they can, no matter how obscure. The problem is that some colors appear in very few parts, and so the chart becomes this somewhat chaotic-looking hodge-podge of seemingly random parts. And there’s a lot of colors, even after all this time as an AFOL, I can still come across colors I didn’t know existed.

Logan C
    Participant

The thought to try something like this has crossed my mind before, but I never felt like I needed it enough to actually go out and buy the parts to make one. If I did, I certainly wouldn’t go in-depth enough to look for every obscure retired color, especially those with limited runs. But even if I wouldn’t get a lot of practical use out of one, I think a LEGO color palette would be a really neat display piece to put on the wall.

Will McDine
    Participant

For a while I had actually debated on buying something like this to hang in my Lego room, I decided not to specifically because there is not a good way to modify it for new colors to be added. I would be interested in something that could be modified.

Review: Periodic Table of LEGO Colors

Krista K

For a while I had actually debated on buying something like this to hang in my Lego room, I decided not to specifically because there is not a good way to modify it for new colors to be added. I would be interested in something that could be modified.

Review: Periodic Table of LEGO Colors

I actually got that for my birthday this year. I haven’t gone through to see what’s missing, but it’s an interesting concept and looks nice. I thought it was just a poster when I put it on my list, but it does have small pieces on it in the respective colors. I got it more for an art piece.

If I remember correctly, I think @legoleia51 had made one.

Renée
    Participant

You remember correctly, Krista @knb112! A new AFOL’s best friend when making bricklink orders-

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Renée
    Participant

I really should create a new one. Not only do I have a few more colors, like pearl black, I hadn’t even had room for my favorites, the translucents. And now I probably have a better plate color for a background. Not pictured: my cheat sheet printout with the bricklink color names on it. So glad I didn’t have to learn LEGO’s names for LUGBULK.

Josh
    Keymaster

Ryan Howerter, out of Colorado, has been collecting samples for years, but now I’m seeing that pic in matt’s original post is Ryan’s…

2012 Colour Palette

He and I talked years ago about a lid to a Knights Kingdom set that came in a rare color that I had and was going to send to him, but the one I had was in a reissued standard color. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?O=8791-1&name=Sir%20Danju&category=%5BCastle%5D%5BKnights%20Kingdom%20II%5D#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

Josh
    Keymaster
    Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

This is probably a noob question – but doesn’t The Lego Company have a corporate archive or graphics/design department that would have the information about its colors? I’m interested in this whole question not only because I like LEGO but also because I do art. If some eastern suburb home is ever needed for a reference chart, I could have it at my Monroeville home.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

This is all awesome.

Of course, the key point I’m driving at is “I need to have a physical part in my hands that I know is Maersk Blue, so I can compare the part in question to it and go ‘same!’ or ‘not same… 🙁 ‘”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar