Q3 Build Challenge

Home Forums LUG discussions Q3 Build Challenge

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Krista K

I threw out the idea of birthday at the Q2 meeting, but have since come up with a few others:

– Castle (since we’re all geeking out about the new one that comes out 8/3)
    – Steel City Icons (since we’re celebrating our 10th Anniversary and are great for the display at BrickFest in October)
    – Reimagine a Classic (with the reimagined Forestmen’s Hideout GWP, let’s see what other classics we can reimagine)

Marcella Spear
    Participant

These are all great ideas! Do wr go with all 3 or just pick one?

Krista K

Thanks @watchwmarcella! We’ll go with whichever one everyone likes most for Q3. 😊

Tim Brown
    Participant

Well I had enough trouble coming up with an idea for Q2, so I’d prefer not to do birthday. For Steel City Icons, what do you envision that being? If we are talking more skyline buildings, or bridges, or inclines….well I’ve seen a lot of that from our club. That’s not a bad thing by any stretch, but it also doesn’t look like a subject people need encouragement to do. We could have people delve into the past and maybe do a historical retrospective on the area. Iconic buildings or events that took place in and around Pittsburgh in the past. I already have a project in that direction that I am considering challenge or no. Castles are always good in my book…but it’s a more narrow area that maybe some members won’t be interested in. Reimagining a classic is a possibility, but I’d have to do research further into it.

My preferences would be Pittsburgh Area History or Castle. All that said, if Q3 takes places on the 20th of August as Josh proposed, I won’t be able to attend so may not even be able to participate.

Krista K

So funny that this was the LEGO Ideas contest posted today: 90th Anniversary Micro Scale Celebrations! https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/6a922ffe-f466-40a3-a811-c66e7fbf7cf9

Rich Millich
    Participant

I suggest bringing your best ever MOC. There’s been 10 years of building, and we have individually built some incredible things.

So, instead of the pressure of building something new, bring your very best to celebrate everything we’ve ever done. This is a chance to refine or recreate a build you’ve had. Something you’re absolutely proud of that represents your style.

Maybe it’s time we had a full show just for ourselves.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I suggest bringing your best ever MOC. There’s been 10 years of building, and we have individually built some incredible things.

This is an interesting idea, but there’s some complications. Unless people think it’s fun to submit photos, which is possible, it’s assuming that those MOC’s still exist. All my best MOC’s have been disassembled with an eye towards replacing them with something better. I know a lot of people keep their best MOC’s, and ultimately that’s my plan. But some people take them apart because once they’ve put it on display a bunch of times, they’re mentally ready to move on to other things. And some people take them apart because they have to, they don’t have enough parts to start from scratch every time.

And it’s also assuming that those MOC’s can be easily transported and set up again quickly. None of my best stuff would qualify, even if I still had it.

Krista K

@zaximillian That’s a cool idea.

Tim Brown
    Participant

I think Ben has a point. If you are like me with limited in parts, you have to cannibalize old MOCs to produce new things for better or worse. I haven’t been at it long so my best is probably on display right now, but others might not be in that situation and I am sure quite a few have mammoth builds that just aren’t transportable at all. I just don’t think it would make for a good challenge. It would be nice to see a collection of our best. I’d almost say, slide show at the birthday bash or what not for a best of display thing but I think the challenge should be something else.

Will McDine
    Participant

I really like the best MOC idea. Its very original and allows for a variety of different themes to be present at once. I do see the complications for MOCs that have been taken apart. What if we do a Picture of the Original and a rebuild of it or part of it? Kind of combines the Best MOC and Reimagine a Classic Ideas.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

It is easy to conclude that if you cannibalized something to make something better, then perhaps the original was not your best MOC. In many cases this is true, but two of my favorite projects for Brickfair ’05 and ’09, no longer exist.

So I can sympathize with the problem of no longer having a MOC. Truly the beauty of LEGO is, that while it is initially expensive, it can be reused. So much other plastic gets thrown away after a single use which is ultimately much more expensive.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan
    Participant

I like these all! Here are my thoughts:
    * The best-ever MOC may be better as a show-and-tell segment at the party since many may have been torn down (in-the-flesh entries may have an advantage over pictures in a competition).
    * Castle is cool, but not topical for the bday – maybe a Q4 challenge? We’ll presumably have our sets by then!
    * Birthday is topical & broad so everyone can be creative!
    * We actually did a “Reimagine a Classic” style challenge a few years back – could be fun to do again!

So I vote for “Birthday” or “Reimagine a Classic”

Will McDine
    Participant

* We actually did a “Reimagine a Classic” style challenge a few years back – could be fun to do again!

I just had an Idea. What if we do “reimagine a set from 2012? the year the LUG was founded

Dan
    Participant

Oh I like that idea @willmcdine!

Marcella Spear
    Participant

That could be fun!

I found this online if you want to see what was going on in 2012:

https://brickipedia.fandom.com/wiki/2012

Krista K

Thanks @watchwmarcella!

Monster Fighters (and the reddish brown bricks of destruction) could be fun. I still have my bag of broken bricks. 😂

Rich Millich
    Participant

I am just tempted to rebuild a current MOC I have and bring that.

Any creativity is usually good to share.

Will McDine
    Participant

So have we made a decision here? I have a few ideas floating around and just want to confirm before I commit to building one way or another.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

All my best MOC’s have been disassembled with an eye towards replacing them with something better.

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!

But seriously, totally understand teardowns to reuse parts and to make room for new things!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I just had an Idea. What if we do “reimagine a set from 2012? the year the LUG was founded

I like that one too. As somebody who, among others, had the yellow castle and the Galaxy Explorer as a kid, I was initially skeptical of any sets from 2012 being ‘classic’ enough to be worthy of being reimagined, but I looked through the 2012 list on Brickset and there were a lot of good ones that year.

>> You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!

You’re preaching to the choir on that one. I’m not gonna threadjack here with a list of everything I took apart and why, I’m not even sure if it’s worthy of the ‘What the heck is Ben doing’ thread, although it’s tempting.

But more importantly, I still like Rich’s ‘Best MOC’ idea, but not as a contest. I’m still seeing it as more of a celebration of the LUG, its history, and the people in it. I’m always interested in what other people have built, so I wouldn’t even feel the need to limit them to just one MOC.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Rebuild from 2012 gets my vote!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

If 2012 is chosen for Q3, it is worth noting that you can search bricklink by year of production. My search indicates that there were 595 sets released that year.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?v=2&pg=1&itemYear=2012&catType=S

Tim Brown
    Participant

It’s looking like we have a pretty solid consensus here about doing the 2012 rebuild for the challenge. Shall we make that official?

Krista K

Sounds good to me. 😊

Adam W
    Participant

Hi All,
    While I am unable to attend today’s meeting, I wanted to share a MOC I built that was my re-imagining of a 2012 set.

The Lego Town Hall 10224 was released in 2012. When I first saw pictures of it, I felt that it was Lego’s attempt at including a church in the modular series without actually creating a church. I decided for my modular city that I’d create my own version instead of purchasing the official set.

Similar to the official lego model, my MOC includes the newly wedded couple outside of the building as well as a clock tower of its own. However, the interior is entirely different.

Lego Town Hall pictures: https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/town-hall-10224

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar