Schnabel Car

Home Forums MOCs Schnabel Car

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Been working on another monster project I plan to build next year: Schnabel Car. It’s a heavy transport car that’s articulated at multiple points to navigate standard Lego curves. This one is inspired by the HILX 2018 and the hinged framed armature can raise/lower by two studs, roughly more than 20″ in real life. Of course, once the length between primary articulated hinges with cargo in between exceeds Lego track diameter, going to need some more straight track between sections of curve. LOL

It’s all Technic framing underneath that brick cladding so everything is made quite rigid.

First render is it hauling my 4-8-2 as a joke “She’ll be carrying round the Mountain when she comes.” Second render is a simple nuclear reactor container as a placeholder for future cargo.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan
    Participant

I saw you teasing this on Reddit and was pretty excited! I love odd railroad cars that fall outside the typical hopper/gondola/flat/bulk commodity/boxcar/intermodal categories.

What load will you be building it with initially?

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Glad you’re excited about it. Yeah, I enjoy designing the unusual and dangerous cargo carriers like the US nuclear flask car or that molten steel torpedo car as part of Pittsburgh/Pennsylvania history. When I get to building it IRL, the first load it’ll haul will likely be that nuclear reactor container you see on the second picture. The 8×32 platform and the two spanners overhead mean I can can swap the container later for anything else as the load framing remains rigid. The 4-8-4 P.R.R. Mountain is also on my build roster but my budget says slow down and build one at a time. LOL

Now that I think about it, it’s 99% common parts so maybe this can be built in black and yellow. XD

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Modeled the caboose that goes with it in Studio. Turns out this thing can crawl at something like 2 miles per hour so that a crew can walk alongside it checking clearances at trouble spots along the journey. Thus the they need a caboose for the off hours. This schnabel is 4’4″ long and this caboose is 1′-0″ so it’s getting rather long overall.

Also going to name it the PHÖNIX SCHNABEL as soon as I get it built and have Marc print it on tiles for me. Funny name but apparently in German, schnable means beak and my name is Phoenix so why not? In that case, I probably should have ordered the parts in red. LOL

Attachments:
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Parts are coming in and starting to build where possible in the evenings after work. If Lego PAB continues to be quicker than normal, there’s a chance I can complete and bring this 4 foot monster of an industrial rail car to CSC Locomotion weekend along with my related rolling stock. XD

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar