Selling Used Lego

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Selling Used Lego

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Zack M
    Participant

Hi Folks!

My collection is getting large and it might be time to part with some of my modular buildings and/or larger sets.

I’ve never sold used Lego. Can someone give me some pointers? What is proper etiquette for selling old sets? How much sorting of the parts is recommended? Can anyone link me to a good guide for this sort of thing? What are some positive/negative experiences people have had when dealing in used Lego sets?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Adam W
    Participant

I don’t have any experience to share, but I may be interested in purchasing the modular buildings. Which ones are you considering selling?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Hi, Zack!

I’ve never really sold used sets, but I think the biggest thing with used set sales would be guaranteeing completeness and quality of parts, and any other details about what you’re selling.

If you have a box and instructions, say so – if not, say so. If any parts are missing, the customer should be informed of that (on BrickLink, there’s an option to list a set as “incomplete” and then fill in a comment with details as to what’s missing.) If parts have teeth marks or heavy wear… well probably nobody will buy, but you should certainly let them know in advance of their purchase… 😉

Hope that helps!

Zack M
    Participant

Thanks Matt! I am studying how things are done on Bricklink.

Adam – I sent you a message about what’s going up for sale.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Of note: Bricklink is making changes, and there’s a beta site apparently, and people are noticing potential issues. I’m in this FB group and haven’t really checked on the stuff people are posting, but… could be some waves made in the near future…

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2318028917/

Zack M
    Participant

I’m thinking that I should just hold on to the sets that I have which are used. I don’t have any classic stuff from my childhood. Everything I own is circa 2014 or later (mostly 2017-2020). Eventually, I’ll let my kid play with the bigger sets (which means they will be picked apart and probably never 100% complete again). My kid’s deconstructive habits with Lego do provide me with lots of raw materials for MOCs and creative projects.

I have some backlog of unopened sets. It seems to be much simpler to sell these items on bricklink as they are new and sealed. Some of the Lego store promo sets go for $25 or more on bricklink. That might be a good way to offset the cost of this hobby.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’d venture to guess that selling used parts from recent sets will only get you so far, and that management of that (especially if your kids play with / you use the parts for MOCs) might be tiresome. @joshhall could speak to that, though…

I have some backlog of unopened sets. It seems to be much simpler to sell these items on bricklink as they are new and sealed. Some of the Lego store promo sets go for $25 or more on bricklink. That might be a good way to offset the cost of this hobby.

You’re probably on the right track here, if you’re not attached to the promo stuff. People who miss out and have cash to burn will pay for rare stuff, for sure, and Bricklink is likely the best marketplace for the more obscure things. Conversely, I’ve had better luck selling standard-release sealed sets on eBay, for what that’s worth… (and eBay might not be bad for selling promo stuff, either… knowledgeable collectors and AFOLs will check multiple places to find a deal!)

Zack M
    Participant

After creating this thread and doing some research, I’ve decided to NOT sell any used Lego. If I open or have opened a set, it’s staying in the collection. If I’m not displaying a set (or planning to), I’ll let my daughter play with it. Once she’s done, I’ll part down everything for my personal part library.

Furthermore, I suspect that the used market is taking a hit due to the pandemic. Also, thrift and re-use stores are not currently taking donations. It’s probably a tough time to get rid of used Lego.

Matt – Thanks for the info about eBay vs. Bricklink. I may let go of some of the new/sealed sets.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar