[SPACEMAN SKIFF]

Home Forums MOCs Build challenges! [SPACEMAN SKIFF]

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Wait wait wait… You used *buckets* as the exhaust nozzles, @randomdan?!

Dare I say NPU?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

From BenTech Industries’ One Trick Pony division, we are pleased to introduce our latest model in the Spaceman Series of spaceflight vehicles: the SPSK35 Water Transport Skiff. Have you recently been demoted in the Galactic Space Emperor’s Royal Household Staff? Were you assigned to plant watering duty? Does your given workload include areas not accessible by road? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then the SPSK35 WTS is the vehicle for you. And by ‘vehicle’, we mean spaceship, which we can say with a straight face, because it flies to space and back again, and still comfortably maneuvers into all those hard-to-reach space plant locations.

The SPSK35 WTS comes complete with BenTech patented insulated water tank (to protect your water from both the cold vacuum of space and from the heat of our BenTech patented fire thrusters), self-retracting hose with safety cap, comfy padded seat with lumbar support, and convenient storage for your moisture detector – so seamlessly integrated into the design that you’ll hardly even know it’s there. (Space plants not included.)

After a hard day of watering space plants, is your journey back to the home base more than a few benometers in distance? If so, then you absolutely want to consider upgrading to our new SPSK70 model. The SPSK70 looks and functions just like the SPSK35 for normal use, but once you’re in flight, a simple push of a go-go-gadget button will automatically convert your ship to Easy Mode, specifically engineered for effortless long-distance flying. Buy today and we’ll throw in a free spray bottle!

The Spaceman Series SPSK35 and the SPSK70 Water Transport Skiffs – the right spaceship for busy plant waterers on the go, and the right spaceship for you! Only from BenTech Industries.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

As I was coming up with my entry post in my head, it occurred to me that its style is most likely a result of reading several years of Frost’s Febrovery entries, Honest John in particular, although it could also just be from nearly half a century living of the good ol’ yoo ess of ay.

Anyway, here’s plenty of bonus info that nobody asked for:

Longtime viewers of the show will recognize the SPSK35 as being based off the car in my ‘Those Space Plants Aren’t Gonna Water Themselves’ build, which first appeared in the 2019 Q3 build challenge, and later traveled in more polished form to Bricks Cascade in February 2020. Since that car was deliberately designed to be as small, plain, and simple as possible, I figured it would be a good starting point for the contest. I was dismayed to discover then that the car was already at 39 parts. I cut ten parts by removing the wheels, and cut four more by tweaking the original build, changes that most likely will be permanent, so we can thank Dan for that. But it still didn’t leave much for me to add on, and I tried to keep as much of the original car as I could, to keep it as recognizable as possible.

Obviously this is a friendly undertaking, but for contest purposes, pic 2 is actually the official entry photo. The whole thing was conceived around the idea of the spaceman holding the hose to water the plants. After I took the pics though, I realized I should really have a photo of him sitting in it flying it like everybody else does. The spaceship really doesn’t look good flying with the hose curled up and clipped into the holder though, hence the ‘self-retracting’ hose (it’s supposed to shoop right up into the spaceship, like the power cord on some vacuum cleaners).

By removing the hose though, it freed up two parts from the count, which let me add the flames for when it’s in flight. The flames were the inspiration for the insulated tank, since it seemed like a bad idea to put the two so close together. It made me think of an internet article I saw some years ago, it was a list of what they considered the dumbest GI Joe toys ever made. One of them was a truck that was also a mobile missile launcher, and the guy controlling the launch sat on a seat right next to where the flame exhaust of the missile would come out (as shown on the box cover), and so the article pointed out that even though he wouldn’t come in direct contact with the flames, he nonetheless would literally be toast after a single missile firing. (I don’t consider the trans-clear parts holding up the ship in flight to be part of the count, such techniques are commonplace in Flickr photos and convention displays, and I thought it preferable to having my hand appear in the photos.)

Additionally, the original car was not built for play value, it was specifically for a display piece where the astronaut stood in front of it with the hose. Therefore, to keep the build studless, a 2×2 tile was put down in the location where he would sit. This, of course, is the ‘comfy padded seat’ in the ad, with the joke (I use that word very loosely here) being that in order for him to sit there, I had to remove the part. The ‘lumbar support’ part comes from the fact that again, he was never intended to sit there, and I clearly had never tried it, because the bar piece behind him (which I was tempted to remove to save a part in the count but resisted, again to keep as much of the car intact as possible) donks slightly into his oxygen tank, causing him to lean forward slightly. Not enough to ruin the build, but enough that if it was for a LUG or convention display where I didn’t have a part limit, I would have changed it. Finally, removing the 2×2 meant that I freed up another part in the count, and whatever that thing is he’s holding (moisture detector, I think I said) was the only vaguely spaceshipy minifig accessory I could find in light bley (see below). The ‘convenient and seamless storage’ for it that was mentioned is another joke (there’s that word again) on the fact that there’s actually no place for it on the build and nothing that even remotely appears like it could hold it. (So in case that’s not clear, it’s a long-winded way of saying that in the first two photos, the part count is 35 in both cases even though the two builds are slightly different.)

The free spray bottle with the SPSK70 is, of course, because of the fact that it doesn’t count against the part limit, but it’s also a reference to my 2019 Q4 Build Challenge entry ‘Those Space Plants Still Aren’t Gonna Water Themselves’ (which I can’t find a pic of). I couldn’t resist including it, even though he looks ridiculous holding it while he’s flying, and in fact it’s awkwardly turned slightly to one side because it’s the only way he can hold it in the space available to him. The ‘safety cap’ on the retracted hose is just a single 1×1 round tile and is visible in the third photo. I originally thought I was gonna have to discard that idea, and then was able to add it in when I discovered on the final count that I’d made an error and was still only at 69 parts and had one to spare.

Anybody here reading this who knows me is aware that building small is not my usual style (I told Rachel that when Dan typed ’35’ he must’ve accidentally left off a couple zeros, but she didn’t find me amusing either), so it’s not surprising that I had a much easier time with the Easy Mode build. As of right now, I have a 56qt Sterilite container that’s nothing but unsorted light bley – it’s been unsorted for quite some time now, cause I built the original car out of that container as well – and my first rule for this contest was that I had to build either out of that container, or from parts whose locations were definitely known to me and easily accessible. Since my collection is currently in various states of organization, this was to keep me from rampaging through the attic and basement pulling out containers and bags and whatnot searching for parts, and thereby generating hours of cleanup for a 70-part build. The trans-red is neatly organized in a container under my bed. The second rule was that I couldn’t build any additional entries. It was tempting – in going through the gray I started assembling several other spaceships before realizing I could get sucked into something that would take hours and hours and probably produce only mediocre results. So I’ll save those ideas for another day, and I am pleased with the entry I did come up with.

In fact, I’m happy enough with it that I plan to keep all the parts intact for the time being. If Covid ever ends, I am hoping that Walter @whitesidewjw will once again invite us all over for a build day like he did twice before. If he does, I would be interested in using all his fancy stuff again – the backdrop, the tan mat, the powerful lights, just like I did for the Perfume-Tron build a year ago – so that I can get some quality photos of this build that I can post to Flickr. Obviously the ones I came up with today aren’t cutting it. I would be willing to come up with some better space plant background landscaping (hopefully without going overboard) for such a photo session.

Unlike Dan and Frost, I didn’t take the time to take photos of the skiffs completely disassembled so you can see all the parts (although I suppose I could have done it if I had, say, not taken the time to type this post). I did have a lot of trouble tracking all the constantly changing numbers in my head as I built, and eventually I had to come up with three 3×5 cards listing part counts for all the sections. I’ll post that as a boring bonus pic (and hopefully nobody will point out any embarrassing math errors), as well as some others.

Aaah, I haven’t done a post this long in quite a while. Thanks to Dan for running the contest. I don’t know if we’re gonna get any more entries – I’m still hoping that Efran and Walter will post something – or even if anybody else is reading this besides the four of us, but I enjoyed it regardless.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

It looks like my bonus post did not go through. Fortunately I saved a copy (I’ve been burned by this site before). I’m gonna try again, hopefully the post doesn’t show up twice.

EDIT: Hmm, the original bonus post still hasn’t shown up, but it won’t let me repost it because I’ve ‘already said that’. So we’ll see if it shows up. Otherwise I’ll have to figure out a workaround. I didn’t type up that whole thing just so it wouldn’t get read by anyone. Okay, I’d better rephrase that. I didn’t type up that whole thing just so it wouldn’t get posted.

SECOND EDIT: My modified photo-free bonus post still didn’t go through, without commentary from the site this time. So I don’t know what the problem is. I keep thinking maybe it’s cause it’s too long, but if that’s the case, then the ‘What the Heck is Rich Building’ thread should have crashed the site ages ago. I’m not sure what to try now…

THIRD EDIT: I got the photos to post separately. I gotta learn how to do multiple views in a single photo like Frost did, very fancy. But the post still won’t go through, so I’m gonna try breaking it up into pieces.

FOURTH EDIT: My posts were still rejected. I dug up the ‘What the heck is Ben doing’ thread (which contains essentially no meaningful material other than Ben and Matt trash-talking Greg and Tim) and tried posting there, also with no success. I also scrolled through the ‘What the heck is Rich building’ thread, and although my post is quite long, I’m pretty sure it’s not really any longer than anything Rich has ever posted, so I don’t think that’s the problem. My next guess is that the site doesn’t like my A HREF= links to Flickr photos. I included four such links in text (to Frost’s Honest John; to a photo by Bill Ward, who I’ve never actually met, but who got a better photo of my build at Bricks Cascade than I did; to the Steel City LUG pics of Q3 2019, and to my own photo of the Perfume-Tron building). So I’m gonna try posting with the links removed. If that doesn’t work, I’m really out of ideas, and I’ll be giving up for the time being.

Rich Millich
    Participant

@bengood921. LBG and trans-light blue is a good color combo. I like the sled look to this, and the touch of trans-red pops on the 70.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Bonus post take two – maybe if I add an intro, the site will see it as different. And I’ll save the bonus photos for a separate post. Dan somehow managed to get all four of his photos in a single post, but if Rich can spread his out over five posts, so can I 😀

Original post starts:

As I was coming up with my entry post in my head, it occurred to me that its style is most likely a result of reading several years of Frost’s Febrovery entries, Honest John in particular, although it could also just be from nearly half a century living of the good ol’ yoo ess of ay.

Longtime viewers of the show will recognize the SPSK35 as being based off the car in my ‘Those Space Plants Aren’t Gonna Water Themselves’ build, which first appeared in the 2019 Q3 build challenge, and later traveled in more polished form to Bricks Cascade in February 2020. Since that car was deliberately designed to be as small, plain, and simple as possible, I figured it would be a good starting point for the contest. I was dismayed to discover then that the car was already at 39 parts. I cut ten parts by removing the wheels, and cut four more by tweaking the original build, changes that most likely will be permanent, so we can thank Dan for that. But it still didn’t leave much for me to add on, and I tried to keep as much of the original car as I could, to keep it as recognizable as possible.

Obviously this is a friendly undertaking, but for contest purposes, pic 2 is actually the official entry photo. The whole thing was conceived around the idea of the spaceman holding the hose to water the plants. After I took the pics though, I realized I should really have a photo of him sitting in it flying it like everybody else does. The spaceship really doesn’t look good flying with the hose curled up and clipped into the holder though, hence the ‘self-retracting’ hose (it’s supposed to shoop right up into the spaceship, like the power cord on some vacuum cleaners).

By removing the hose though, it freed up two parts from the count, which let me add the flames for when it’s in flight. The flames were the inspiration for the insulated tank, since it seemed like a bad idea to put the two so close together. It made me think of an internet article I saw some years ago, it was a list of what they considered the dumbest GI Joe toys ever made. One of them was a truck that was also a mobile missile launcher, and the guy controlling the launch sat on a seat right next to where the flame exhaust of the missile would come out (as shown on the box cover), and so the article pointed out that even though he wouldn’t come in direct contact with the flames, he nonetheless would literally be toast after a single missile firing. (I don’t consider the trans-clear parts holding up the ship in flight to be part of the count, such techniques are commonplace in Flickr photos and convention displays, and I thought it preferable to having my hand appear in the photos.)

Additionally, the original car was not built for play value, it was specifically for a display piece where the astronaut stood in front of it with the hose. Therefore, to keep the build studless, a 2×2 tile was put down in the location where he would sit. This, of course, is the ‘comfy padded seat’ in the ad, with the joke (I use that word very loosely here) being that in order for him to sit there, I had to remove the part. The ‘lumbar support’ part comes from the fact that again, he was never intended to sit there, and I clearly had never tried it, because the bar piece behind him (which I was tempted to remove to save a part in the count but resisted, again to keep as much of the car intact as possible) donks slightly into his oxygen tank, causing him to lean forward slightly. Not enough to ruin the build, but enough that if it was for a LUG or convention display where I didn’t have a part limit, I would have changed it. Finally, removing the 2×2 meant that I freed up another part in the count, and whatever that thing is he’s holding (moisture detector, I think I said) was the only vaguely spaceshipy minifig accessory I could find in light bley (see below). The ‘convenient and seamless storage’ for it that was mentioned is another joke (there’s that word again) on the fact that there’s actually no place for it on the build and nothing that even remotely appears like it could hold it. (So in case that’s not clear, it’s a long-winded way of saying that in the first two photos, the part count is 35 in both cases even though the two builds are slightly different.)

The free spray bottle with the SPSK70 is, of course, because of the fact that it doesn’t count against the part limit, but it’s also a reference to my 2019 Q4 Build Challenge entry ‘Those Space Plants Still Aren’t Gonna Water Themselves’ (which I can’t find a pic of). I couldn’t resist including it, even though he looks ridiculous holding it while he’s flying, and in fact it’s awkwardly turned slightly to one side because it’s the only way he can hold it in the space available to him. The ‘safety cap’ on the retracted hose is just a single 1×1 round tile and is visible in the third photo. I originally thought I was gonna have to discard that idea, and then was able to add it in when I discovered on the final count that I’d made an error and was still only at 69 parts and had one to spare.

Anybody here reading this who knows me is aware that building small is not my usual style (I told Rachel that when Dan typed ’35’ he must’ve accidentally left off a couple zeros, but she didn’t find me amusing either), so it’s not surprising that I had a much easier time with the Easy Mode build. As of right now, I have a 56qt Sterilite container that’s nothing but unsorted light bley – it’s been unsorted for quite some time now, cause I built the original car out of that container as well – and my first rule for this contest was that I had to build either out of that container, or from parts whose locations were definitely known to me and easily accessible. Since my collection is currently in various states of organization, this was to keep me from rampaging through the attic and basement pulling out containers and bags and whatnot searching for parts, and thereby generating hours of cleanup for a 70-part build. The trans-red is neatly organized in a container under my bed. The second rule was that I couldn’t build any additional entries. It was tempting – in going through the gray I started assembling several other spaceships before realizing I could get sucked into something that would take hours and hours and probably produce only mediocre results. So I’ll save those ideas for another day, and I am pleased with the entry I did come up with.

In fact, I’m happy enough with it that I plan to keep all the parts intact for the time being. If Covid ever ends, I am hoping that Walter @whitesidewjw will once again invite us all over for a build day like he did twice before. If he does, I would be interested in using all his fancy stuff again – the backdrop, the tan mat, the powerful lights, just like I did for the Perfume-Tron build a year ago – so that I can get some quality photos of this build that I can post to Flickr. Obviously the ones I came up with today aren’t cutting it. I would be willing to come up with some better space plant background landscaping (hopefully without going overboard) for such a photo session.

Unlike Dan and Frost, I didn’t take the time to take photos of the skiffs completely disassembled so you can see all the parts (although I suppose I could have done it if I had, say, not taken the time to type this post). I did have a lot of trouble tracking all the constantly changing numbers in my head as I built, and eventually I had to come up with three 3×5 cards listing part counts for all the sections. I’ll post that as a boring bonus pic (and hopefully nobody will point out any embarrassing math errors), as well as some others.

Aaah, I haven’t done a post this long in quite a while. Thanks to Dan for running the contest. I don’t know if we’re gonna get any more entries – I’m still hoping that Efran and Walter will post something – or even if anybody else is reading this besides the four of us, but I enjoyed it regardless.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Okay, let’s try bonus photos without additional commentary…

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Success! Here’s the other two. The ‘Advanced Math’ one will make more sense if I ever get the long bonus post to go through.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Fourth attempt at bonus post, originally attached photos now already posted, original post starts:

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Bonus post part 1:

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

SUCCESS!!! I thought I’d used A HREF= links here before, maybe I’m confusing it with Flickr photo descriptions, or maybe things on the site have changed, or maybe the site is just being a big cranky poopyhead today for reasons unknown. Let’s see if I can paste them directly. For anybody who really read the whole post, here’s the four links that were included, and you can figure out how to match them up with the text.

Febrovery 2019 Day 0

Space Plants Build Challenge

Bricks Cascade MOCs 1462

Build Day at Walter's

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

SUCCESS!!! I thought I’d used A HREF= links here before, maybe I’m confusing it with Flickr photo descriptions, or maybe things on the site have changed, or maybe the site is just being a big cranky poopyhead today for reasons unknown. Let’s see if I can paste them directly. For anybody who really read the whole post, here’s the four links that were included, and you can figure out how to match them up with the text.

EDIT: Nope, pasting the links directly didn’t work. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. It looks like Frost’s photos appeared in his posts directly, rather than as attachments, cause he linked to his own Flickr account, but I don’t know what he’s doing differently from how I’m doing it. Somebody will have to enlighten me. In the meantime, you’ll have to be in suspense, although really the photos are only necessary if anybody’s tuning in who isn’t familiar with some of the stuff mentioned.

SECOND EDIT: I can use the ‘quote’ function on Frost’s post, which shows all the text for his Flickr link. In addition to the traditional A HREF= and the url, there’s a whole lot of other stuff that is unfamiliar to me. It looks like he had to somehow rescale the photos to a (presumably smaller) size that is palatable to the site. I don’t know how to do that. So I’m done for now.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

(Also, I’m looking at my bonus post, and it’s quite possible that it *is* longer than anything Rich has ever posted to the ‘What the Heck is Rich building’ thread. Which I’m not mentioning for any particular reason. Cause it’s definitely not a contest, even though if it were, I’d be totally winning. No particular reason at all. Well…you know, other than the fact that I’m secretly hoping that Rich will respond once again with ‘CHALLENGE ACCEPTED’.)

Okay, I’m really done now. I definitely don’t wanna threadjack Dan’s contest. Thanks again for having us. See you guys next time.

Dan
    Participant

Ha Ben we need more posts like this in general – it’s fascinating learning how a build came to be!

I like both skiffs. The flames (water preheaters) are a great detail. The clip for holding the fig’s accessory is a nice touch!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Dan.
    Dan
    Participant

Thank you all for participating! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed checking out the skiffs. I found the part limit maddeningly infuriating as I jusssttt needed another piece here or there. Ended up reworking the wingtips on my skiff multiple times (originally they consumed six parts each, ended at two).

I’ll post another challenge very soon!

Whiteside
    Participant

I just read this post. I missed out on a good one. Very nice MOCs here guys.

Tim

Great entries! Love the Calvin & Hobbes vibe.

Whiteside
    Participant

Since I was late I went over the part count too.

Mtron Cosmic Comet

Whiteside
    Participant

I can’t wait to have another space build!

Tom Frost
    Participant

Since I was late I went over the part count too.

A little late to the party, but a welcome addition, nonetheless!

I can’t wait to have another space build!

I am definitely missing these also. I was considering hosting a FebRovery themed build day, but it probably won’t happen this year. 🙁

Rich Millich
    Participant

@whitesidewjw: M-Tron gone lime wild! I like the combination of the Nexagons on the side. It’s one of those bigger parts full of detail that’s great on low part challenge builds.

I also like the nose assembly of fender parts. I call that a “snoof”, because it’s funny.

Darn you and your non-production colors… all right, which one is is this time… 😀

Rich Millich
    Participant

@bengood921: I took a second look at the SPSK70, and I really like the long, parallel bars as a theme. If you ever build a space faction of craft, this is a good look independent of any of the other Spacers, which is kind of cool.

It reminds me of @erunaamo’s work in its LBG bar work. I think that as Spacers you two guys could blend your Space builds quite fluidly.

As long as there’s space plants.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Rich Millich.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar