table cloths

Home Forums All Things LEGO! table cloths

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I don’t know where we stand on tablecloths for LUG displays, but I saw these at a college graduation today and they look really cool. I might have to buy my own white ones.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

We’ve discussed purchasing similar ones, either with or without the Steel City LUG logo. Krista had done some pricing and it is in another thread (maybe with the stanchion discussion?).

Renée
    Participant

Is the back side open so you can either still sit under the table or easily slide boxes or backpacks underneath?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Is the back side open so you can either still sit under the table or easily slide boxes or backpacks underneath?

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. They certainly look sharp (and I like the orange, even though we don’t need orange), but my first thought was that that’s gonna be a big hassle if I need to store stuff underneath there. For smaller events, I wouldn’t, but for larger stuff and conventions, I need to put all kinds of stuff under there.

It actually hadn’t occurred to me that it could be open just on one side like Renee has suggested. It would work if you’re up against the wall like the tables are in this photo, but if they’re part of an island that people can walk the whole way around and see the backs where everybody’s stored their stuff, I would consider that to be an eyesore and a problem.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have never seen these before, but I presume they would cover up the back. You would have to put your boxes underneath BEFORE securing the legs in the back. However the back legs would have to be lifted eventually to secure the tablecloth in the back.
    I saw this style tablecloth online ranging in price from $9 in basic black to over $100 for custom printed ones, you just have to search “spandex tablecloth”.

Josh
    Keymaster

no one asked for my opinion, but I think those styles are ugly. I like my catering tables in spandex as much as I like matt redfield in spandex.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> no one asked for my opinion, but I think those styles are ugly. I like my catering tables in spandex as much as I like matt redfield in spandex.

I think the fact that not everybody likes them is worth noting, although you probably could’ve done it without putting gross images in our heads. It had occurred to me that I like how they look one at a time, or if there’s space in between them, but that if you have a long continuous row of tables, like you would for a large Lego display, I think it’s gonna look weird. For something like the GBC display at BrickWorld, you might have six tables in a row before a break, and the way they do the tablecloths and mats gives the illusion that it’s one giant continuous table, even if we know it’s not, which seems much more appropriate for what’s occurring on top of the tables.

>> You would have to put your boxes underneath BEFORE securing the legs in the back. However the back legs would have to be lifted eventually to secure the tablecloth in the back.

That’s a deal breaker right there. The containers going under the table won’t be ready to be put there until the Lego builds they contained have already been removed and put on the table, at which point the table cloth needs to already be in place and secured. Once my Lego stuff is on it, no lifting of tables is going to occur for any reason, unless it somehow becomes necessary to save somebody’s life, and even then I’d have to think about it first. So in order to do this, there’d need to be some sort of intermediate place to put all the Lego builds (no, I’m not going to use the floor), and it turns into one of those ‘you need to get the fox, the chicken, and the monkey across the river and you only have one boat’-type problems, and it’s impractical to the point that it’s not going to happen. Also, people use the underside of the table to hide other stuff that they need to access more frequently, such as phones, food, and purses. Additionally, no matter how you use it, the total volume of space available underneath has been reduced.

I could see using something like this for small events with small builds where there’s just one or two tables, such as the one we did for the premiere of the Lego Movie, but I’m not sure I see them being practical beyond that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar