The Whipped Cafe

Home Forums MOCs The Whipped Cafe

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

The WIP.

The essense of this build came from seeing someone use the whips to spell “Cafe” https://www.flickr.com/photos/66549279@N06/8978909884/in/faves-sixf00t4/ I didn’t like the f, which snow balled into me thinking about what other ways to do it and what other letters I could make.

The I got struck with the Whip/Whipped pun and thought whips would fit well into a western theme.

I’ve bought more western and lone Ranger figs than I’ll ever use. Definitely went off the deep end by buying 16 Lego movie larry the coffee guy sets just so I could have 16 coffee cups to stage in everyone’s hands…

No interior, yet. I’m really bad at details…That’s what @dc221803 is for. Eventually I’ll get around to it. The 2nd story level was supposed to be a porch, but I kind of like it as a roof…not sure what to do about that door now though…

I’ll probably throw a horse and a trough in the front…

What do you think?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Sweet! Nice giant coffee mug.

What if you use a brown minifig hand to get the lower crossbar on the f?

Josh
    Keymaster

ooo…I like.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Well, now that I’m looking at it again, I’m pretty sure the hand will only grip the handle part of the whip, so it would be lower down than I’d originally pictured it, so you’ll have to decide if you think it looks ok or not. Pretty much anything you attach is only gonna grip at the handle though, I can’t think of anything that’ll grab the upper part.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

What are you planning on doing with this at public displays? Is it gonna be part of the town? Or are you starting a new western section? Or is it just gonna stand alone? (I could definitely get behind the first option, if you wanted to modify it as a modern ‘theme’ restuarant.)

Josh
    Keymaster

yeah, just part of the town. I had that thought about grip after I posted too…

I ordered a 3L bar instead of the 4L and forgot to swap it out… I am now thinking it wouldn’t look right with a 3L…

Doug
    Participant

Definitely went off the deep end by buying 16 Lego movie larry the coffee guy sets just so I could have 16 coffee cups to stage in everyone’s hands…

Are they just regular coffee cups? I find it hard to believe that you didn’t have 16 regular Lego mugs sitting around already…

Love this build though. What green is that?! It’s such a nice choice there.

Josh
    Keymaster

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=15496pb01&colorID=1

Olive green. Had a bunch of 2×4 plates and the 1×4 with only 2 studs on the in in LUG supply when we did the last speed draft. I wanted to use them for something and couldn’t think of any colors they would go with, so I decided neutral earth tones would be best.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Muy bueno.

Coffee is for schmucks, but other than that, this is a fantastic premise.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Cool idea! There’s lots of TMNT green in there, that’s unique.

Where does this incorporate into the display plan?

Tim

I’d put a railing on top of the patio roof. That’s not safe up there! 🙂

Very nice. You should be able to convert the sidewalk area to a modern town sidewalk and it will fit in with any Town display perfectly. Restore the brown tumbleweed plants for a western layout.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

This also means that next time somebody interviews you about Lego stuff and asks you about recent projects, you can say things like “I’ve been spending a lot time down in the stud-dungeon doing stuff with whips.”

Josh
    Keymaster

This also means that next time somebody interviews you about Lego stuff and asks you about recent projects, you can say things like “I’ve been spending a lot time down in the stud-dungeon doing stuff with whips.”

lol. +1 ben.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

HEY HEY! WHOA! Language! This is a family channel here with impressionable children … like Doug.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

There’s lots of TMNT green in there, that’s unique.

What about olive green makes it TMNT?

lol. +1 ben.

I second that emotion.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The letters are definitely cool on the cafe and the big mug is a neat addition. Is the sign a custom sticker?

I agree with Tim about adding a railing to the roof.

Josh
    Keymaster

Is the sign a custom sticker?

That’s purist, Son. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4066pb324

Doug
    Participant

BTW, I reserve the right to refer to this MOC as the “hwhipped” cafe–Stewie-Griffin-style.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Greg Schubert wrote:</div>
    Is the sign a custom sticker?

<span class=”embed-youtube” style=”text-align:center; display: block;”>[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbaSh8i5eyE?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&wmode=transparent&w=591&h=363%5D</span&gt;

That’s purist, Son. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4066pb324

#wellplayed

BTW, I reserve the right to refer to this MOC as the “hwhipped” cafe

I just don’t understand why you’re saying it that way…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I just don’t understand why you’re saying it that way…

Hot Rod? Cause that’s what I was thinking of already.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Oooh – I should’ve watched whole thing before I posted it – if you wanna avoid ‘inappropriate language’, you need to stop it once they launch the skateboard. Sorry about that.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

You really get me, Wiz.

But yeah, movies have ratings for a reason. #virginearsbeware

Dan
    Participant

Nice! Next up: the Whiskey Water Hole?

Greg Schubert
    Participant
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am still hoping that someone in the LUG will build a Taco Tuesday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-CUSTOM-BUILT-TACO-TUESDAY-/321839208841?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Greg Schubert.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar