Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Cool, thanks. Although I am apparently already more knowledgeable than the author, since he’s speculating on what the color might be like, and I know the answer cause I have the parts sitting right in here in the room. (That Party Bus didn’t build itself.)

He does mention something else that I was wondering about too, the idea that Lego doesn’t introduce new colors without retiring an old one. He also mentions the recent revival of dark turquoise. Do we know what colors got dissed to make room for turquoise and coral?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I got these from a neighbor who was clearing out his garage, but I don’t even know what they are. 😛 I figure thet are for rolling something heavy. Does anyone want them?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

He does mention something else that I was wondering about too, the idea that Lego doesn’t introduce new colors without retiring an old one. He also mentions the recent revival of dark turquoise. Do we know what colors got dissed to make room for turquoise and coral?

That is the first I’ve every heard that. I noticed that the article states it as fact but provides no citation or reference to back it up.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>>>>> He does mention something else that I was wondering about too, the idea that Lego doesn’t introduce new colors without retiring an old one. He also mentions the recent revival of dark turquoise. Do we know what colors got dissed to make room for turquoise and coral?
    >
    >>> That is the first I’ve every heard that. I noticed that the article states it as fact but provides no citation or reference to back it up.

So I took a look around to see what I could find on this. Which was not a whole lot. As far as I can tell, the whole thing comes out of the Mark Stafford Killed Teal story, which was definitely a thing, but has sort of taken a life of its own, where people have interpreted it as a strict Lego policy despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. To start, here’s the story:

Teal We Meet Again: In search of Stafford’s Choice

And that’s really it, there’s not much to it. I remember also reading a story (long ago) that the reason we had dark purple to begin with is that a set designer wanted it, and Lego said okay but you have to pick another color to eliminate, and that’s why we don’t have sand red anymore. But I can no longer find this story anywhere, or anything at all about why sand red is gone. So I don’t know if I’m not remembering correctly, or it was an incorrect telling of Stafford Killed Teal, or it’s true and I just can’t find it anymore, I just don’t know.

I did, however, find an article that talked about the history of Lego colors, and it suggested that there’s no unchangeable total number of colors but rather the number is reflective of the general health of the Lego company – having more colors is more expensive, so when they were struggling in the early 2000’s, they were keeping a tighter lid on the number of colors, but have since expanded. Specifically, they point out to four new colors in both 2011 and 2012, and dark turquoise in 2018, with zero other colors eliminated as a result. So I’m psyched about the new coral color, I’m old enough to remember when Lego was dominated by just six colors.

David Bacon
    Participant

On the topic of color, guess what Pantone has chosen as the 2019 color of the year? Living Coral. Is this a wild coincidence that Lego is producing this new coral color in 2019 also????

https://www.pantone.com/color-intelligence/color-of-the-year/color-of-the-year-2019

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Of course! Lego is the color trend setter.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

One mark of an impressive LEGO creation is when you are looking at it and you have NO IDEA how it was built. 🙂

Brikkelauget Layout 88

Tim

Looks like a lot of brown plate hinges and brown tiles. Very impressive.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Is it just me, or does anyone else expect to see a Batman avatar for the name Adam Bruce?

Attachments:
    Micah Beideman
    Participant

This probably isn’t worth anyone’s time to watch, but I’ll post it here anyway. First YT video I’ve made in over 2.5 years xD https://youtu.be/I1dtILz-yis

Greg Schubert
    Participant

My fort made of Prince of Persia pieces was deemed unworthy as an SWR background, but it worked well with the manger.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

um yeah, not doing this

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Ha, I see the problem now. I hearby officially approve the use of LUG funds to rent a crane to help move Greg’s tree.

Tim

From Brickvention 2019 (Melbourne, Australia). https://jaysbrickblog.com/2019/01/20/photos-and-highlights-from-brickvention-2019/ There are some really amazing MOCs.

Josh
    Keymaster

This probably isn’t worth anyone’s time to watch, but I’ll post it here anyway. First YT video I’ve made in over 2.5 years xD https://youtu.be/I1dtILz-yis

I can’t tell if you’re trolling with the display case comments or not. The girls liked watching the video.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

The display case was a joke 😛

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

YOU GUYS.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Dashboard synchronicity!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

If anyone has a planet Hoth dome, I would be happy to buy it from you.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=98107pb07#T=C&C=1

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    David Bacon
    Participant

If anyone has a planet Hoth dome, I would be happy to buy it from you.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=98107pb07#T=C&C=1

That was part of the Series 4 Star Wars planets that didn’t get released in the US. I collected all of the first three series, so this is one of the planets I don’t own.

However, only a couple bucks for each half doesn’t seem bad. It’s shipping it from Germany that’s gonna kill ya.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

That was part of the Series 4 Star Wars planets that didn’t get released in the US.

Ok, it helps to know that. Its probably better to use 4 of these, anyway:
    https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=88293#T=C

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Well you need to decide on something, the top of that six-foot snow-covered Christmas tree isn’t gonna cap itself.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

the top of that six-foot snow-covered Christmas tree

That task has been completed, it was my winter break project.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Has anyone considered pre-ordering one of the bricklink sets? Some are REALLY popular and they have decided to limit the run to 2500 sets. Will, that antique fire truck is HUGE! I had no idea until I saw it in the video. If I get one, it will probably be the castle. 🙂

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/crowdproject/main.page

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I love that they’re doing it, and some of those sets are pretty cool, but it’s not really on my radar right now. My entire LEGO budget is going toward huskies. 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar