Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 676 through 700 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Home Depot is now selling space plants! Not LEGO ones, REAL ones, @bengood921. See attached photo.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Yo. Just gonna drop this here.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/04/01/lego-bar-comes-to-pittsburgh/amp/

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Rich Millich.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Rich, you beat me to it. I saw this on the news this morning. I don’t think they even know where its going to be yet. Must be a slow news day. The video I saw on another channel showed a lot of bricks that were not LEGO brand, I guess that is why they are calling it the “Block Bar.” Of course the news channels use LEGO to mean ANY plastic brick, the way many people refer to facial tissue as Kleenex regardless of the brand.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I don’t know if this has ever been mentioned before and I just missed it, but I’m gonna put it here… Beyond the Brick has used a couple different music clips for their videos over the years, but I find it oddly hilarious that on this one they used the same music that Pittsburgh Dad does. “Hey Deb, did yinz know them Beyond the Bricks guys went dahn to Tampa? Took their microphones and cameras and everything to talk about the Legos. How do they get all them balls to move around like that anyways? Hey Jeffy, don’t touch that.”

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Beyond the Brick … used the same music that Pittsburgh Dad does.

1. I think the song is “I Have Never Been in Love Before” from Guys and Dolls, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVaTPJR4ldM, but it is very well disguised in an upbeat piano-jazz style, ala Mr Rogers.

2. These guys are very experienced by now, why are they taking camera shots that are too close-up to be in focus?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> 2. These guys are very experienced by now, why are they taking camera shots that are too close-up to be in focus?

Cause the video is from 2014, which as I recall was the first year where they really established interviews at conventions as their main thing. Also, the video is credited to Matthew Kay, who is not normally the cameraman. Camera duties are usually done by John Hanlon, who in a recent interview said he left a job in the television industry to do BtB full time. Before watching that, I’d never heard him talk even though I’d seen him around conventions for years, because he’s also busy running the camera, so he and Joshua unintentionally give off a Penn & Teller vibe.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

This is pretttttty cool.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I don’t know anything about Stranger Things, in fact I have never even heard of it before, but the commercial for the set on the LEGO site is a perfect imitation of cheesy shopping channels of the past.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/The-Upside-Down-75810?icmp=HP-SHH-EX-ST-strang-340

Rich Millich
    Participant

If I ever built a City pub in LEGO, it would be called the Clip Bar & Grille.
    Come for their Round Plate special… Grilled Cheese.

Josh
    Keymaster

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv it.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Is anyone familia with recent PayPal policy updates? I went to pay my $9 bricklink fee and I found that I could not pay with my PayPal balance. The site gave me options of using my bank account or a credit card. When I was looking at PayPal credit, it seemed that the purchase had to be over $99. The site also indicated that I should “claim” my balance by downloading it to my bank account. Does anyone know what is happening?

David Bacon
    Participant

Is anyone familia with recent PayPal policy updates? I went to pay my $9 bricklink fee and I found that I could not pay with my PayPal balance. The site gave me options of using my bank account or a credit card. When I was looking at PayPal credit, it seemed that the purchase had to be over $99. The site also indicated that I should “claim” my balance by downloading it to my bank account. Does anyone know what is happening?

All I know is that they created a sub-product called PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus and you need one of those to hold a PayPal balance. I think I have the PayPal Cash feature, but I forget exactly how I got it added. See this webpage for more details: https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-can-i-do-with-my-personal-paypal-account%2C-paypal-cash-account-or-paypal-cash-plus-account-faq3997

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Did you figure it out? I looked into it for a bit yesterday but I couldn’t find anything of relevance, although I found PayPal’s ‘help’ system to be a giant maze of information, so if I’d really needed an answer I would have found a way to contact a live person there.

Unrelated – I watched this video today. I’m only posting it cause my brick-built Steel City LUG sign is clearly visible in the background starting around the 7:30 mark and getting significant screen time thereafter:

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Did you figure it out? I looked into it for a bit yesterday but I couldn’t find anything of relevance, although I found PayPal’s ‘help’ system to be a giant maze of information, so if I’d really needed an answer I would have found a way to contact a live person there.

I finally looked at this again. As of March 29, if you want to keep a positive balance in PayPal, (ie. keep money that was paid to you, so you can make payments,) you have to create a PayPal Cash account. I’m not sure how exactly this is different from before, although I noticed there is now a 5% charge to the buyer to send an international payment.

The step to do this is easy, but I cringed when I saw that they wanted me to enter a birth date and SSN to verify the account.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I think this guy has move elves than Greg:

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I think this guy has move elves than Greg:

He might. I like the mailbox with the garden hose better than the rocket itself.

David Bacon
    Participant

I had a ridiculous experience selling a Lego set on eBay last week. If you’d like to read about it, I’ve written it down in a Google doc here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VXu5rBlnX5sJvpA6LbRJt7pz3E7VE2xNwpasSyiiWag/edit?usp=sharing

I don’t have a blog, but if I did, this would probably be my latest entry.

Pete
    Participant

I would also give the buyer a negative rating.

David Bacon
    Participant

I would also give the buyer a negative rating.

I totally wish I could, but because of eBay’s settings, I cannot when there is a return involved, and I cannot edit the positive feedback I already gave after the item was shipped and received.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Weird at best, scammy at worst (although I dunno how this would be a scam that profits the buyer… was thinking they wanted to return a used set and keep your new one, but they kinda did the opposite…?!?)

99% of my sales (and purchases) go smoothly. But the 1% make me more and more think I need to be extremely careful with photographing, etc., before shipping. Some people get mad about the tiniest scratch or dent in a box, and I’ve not always been on top of disclosing that stuff in my listings, so if that comes up I usually offer a partial refund if they keep it, or just accept the return. But I’ve never had someone straight up lying / delusional about the condition of the product… they never sent you photos of the set to illustrate why they claimed it was tampered with? That’s a red flag for sure. The first thing I’d do if I had a complaint would be document it photographically and send to the seller.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

It sounds like they changed their mind and eBay usually sides with the buyer; perhaps whoever they got it for did not want it.

Josh
    Keymaster

amazing. I wish I could be a maker.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

And now I’ve seen evidence that Adam Savage is not a purist. Thanks, Josh. -_-

Greg Schubert
    Participant

OMG! You were in Paris at the time? My wife and I were there 5 years ago, and I feel lucky that we had a chance to see it.

I was a chaperone on a school trip.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am struggling with PayPal. The only thing I can do right now is download my balance. They want me to upload a picture ID and a document with my account social security card to have access to my account. I hate putting this stuff online, its like asking for identity theft.

Before the recent changes, I used PayPal successfully for thousands of transactions and I never looked into anything else. Does anyone have a good alternative method for selling and buying on the bricklink/eBay/the interweb?

Viewing 25 posts - 676 through 700 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar