USS Zuni (ATF-95) in 1:200th Scale

Home Forums MOCs USS Zuni (ATF-95) in 1:200th Scale

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Austin Brodzinski
    Participant

Well, here in is! This is my 1:200th scale model of the US Navy oceangoing tugboat USS Zuni. This model has been a long time coming, and even then it’s still a WIP as I learn new techniques and better ways to make this ship stronger. I have been improving this model over time, and you can see details improving over the course of the pictures.

Zuni is only give or take a foot long, but I made it as detailed as I could at the time. The hull of the ship is built on its side, as seen in the picture below. The superstructure is not rigidly attached, but rather just sits on top of everything. I am currently working on adding lights into the ship, which purists look away, as it does require drilling through studs.

I’m open to all suggestions to improve this build in the coming months, as well as pave the way for my next 1:200th scale warship, and others to come. If you want the history on the ship, since I don’t feel like typing it all out, here’s a link to good ol Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Zuni_(ATF-95)

Thanks for checking out my model of the Zuni and hope you enjoyed!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Austin Brodzinski
    Participant

More recent pictures

Attachments:
    Austin Brodzinski
    Participant

WIP pictures

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

I still believe that projects like these are why tonal gray was replaced by the modern bley colors.

Austin Brodzinski
    Participant

@zaximillian I couldn’t agree more! It’s got a long way to go but it’ll be there sooner or later!

Rich Millich
    Participant

I see you’re already doing SNOT work on the hull sides. Ever thought about doing curved slope bricks? A variety does exist in DBG.

Austin Brodzinski
    Participant

@zaximillian Yea I’m considering converting most of it to curved slopes for a smoother hull. I’m transferring the design to an online program called MecaBricks to see what I can do with it before I go gung-ho on rebuilding it. I’m also considering making the decks thinner and in one piece with the superstructure walls instead of separate pieces.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar