What the heck is Dan building?

Home Forums All Things LEGO! What the heck is Dan building?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant

I figure it’s high time jump on the bandwagon and start my own “What the heck…” thread. Though we’re currently in the midst of Febrovery, I’ve been working on a monorail MOC since mid last month that’s finally far enough to call “done”. This started as a little messing around while I took a break from sorting and spiraled into a full blown project.

A quick little rocket led to a quick little satellite which planted seeds of a larger, longer rocket hauling car build. The rocket hauler clearly needed an engine so I started on that, iterated a few times, got sidetracked building a flatcar, and finally returned to finish the engine.

So without further ado I present to you my Ice Planet Monorail:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Sweet, you can never have too many ‘What the heck’ threads.

Nice monorail, does it really drive? Does the motor struggle with all that weight?

Dan
    Participant

Thanks! It is fully operational on flat loops, haven’t tested it on hills yet. The engine struggles a bit around turns given the number of bogies (8 total, I’ll probably scale back to just 5 if I run it at shows). They create a lot of friction through curves as they simple slide along the central rack. Exacerbating the issue is the fact I have three pairs mounted on 2×8 Technic plates which looks awesome at the cost of binding up quicker.

So it’s functional, but just. The motor is mounted on a pair of gimbals under the rear of the engine.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Nice! Looks really cool Dan! I really like the design of the rocket and launcher car. I need to get around to staring one of these threads too…

LegoDude
    Participant

Great seasonal look. The use of snow as a prop is great. Maybe tomorrow you can post the ice planet version!

Rich Millich
    Participant

I am still digging that plow up front. Good shaping + nice texture greeble.

Dan
    Participant

@tfdesigns Thanks! The rocket actually started it all. And yes, there’s a satellite squeezed inside! 😁 More detailed pictures are available on my newly created blog. Posting more than one Febrovery pic is hard enough on the forums!

@legodude
    Thank you! I just wish the deer hadn’t kicked up so much snow haha! Taking Lego outside rarely happened as a kid (afraid to lose pieces!), but lately it’s happened more often – just makes for some cool shots!

@zaximillian
    Digging? Plow?? Pun intended?! I thought attaching it might be hard, but that V seems to fit perfectly on an eight stud base (I didn’t do the math)

Dan
    Participant

I’ve been busy making maple syrup, so not much build time since Febrovery ended.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

How many gallons of tree sap do you need to make a gallon of syrup?

Dan
    Participant

It depends on a few factors, but the average is 40gal sap/1gal syrup. I’m closer a 65:1 ratio since I’ve got a red maple in the mix (sugar maples have higher sugar concentrations in their sap).

LegoDude
    Participant

Our Friend’s son in Erie does also make syrup. Lines everywhere running to a pool and they ended up building a pressure boiler shack. Quite the set up. Are you this complex?

Dan
    Participant

We’re not that fancy (yet). I tapped three trees this year, though we’ve got a couple more that may be big enough.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar