2019 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Home Forums LUG discussions 2019 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Dan Efran
    Participant

Been busy, but I’m still hoping I can build a thing or two for this…but it’s unlikely to be Moonbase standard. For what that’s worth. Also I have some existing stuff I can put in – some minifig-scale, some microscale, some ambiguous, but, again, none of it Moonbase standard.

So if there’s a Mb.s. area – which is fine with me, I like modular standards – then I’d like to have some non-standard areas too.

(I haven’t really looked at the layout map lately, but can we do a little forced-perspective thing, with microscale stuff along the back? I think that usually looks good IN SPACE….)

Tim

No need to be MB Standard. Everyone let me know how many baseplates you need and I will begin to sketch a preliminary layout. We’re now five weeks from installation.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am hoping to build a one baseplate (32×32) moonbase dome, something like the one in the monorail set.

Tim

Here is version 1 of the proposed layout. I’ve only put my own area so far (marked and shaded). Based on the photo posted earlier in this thread, @erunaamo has a 3 baseplate layout (at minimum) and, per the immediately prior post, @greg will hopefully have a 1 baseplate dome.

There is room for at least 2 or 3 more “structure” areas plus room for various vehicles (ships and ground vehicles). I am hoping to be able to spread light and dark gray bricks between the various ground areas to create a rocky landscape. We could also do orange bricks for lava and purple/mauve for other space “ooze”.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

want a bunch of loose gray plate to fill in the floor?

Tim

Yes, that and any loose gray (dark and light) brick or plate we may have.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Yes, that and any loose gray (dark and light) brick or plate we may have.

@joshhall
    , if you can bring the loose gray brick and plate for @timf with you to teardown at Children’s Festival on Sunday, then I can take it from there to Cranberry Library. I can also take King Friday’s Castle on Sunday to bring back to @greg.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I started to work on the dome using

4x Trans-Dark Blue Panel 10 x 10 x 12 Quarter Dome and
    4x Trans-Neon Green Panel 10 x 6 x 11 with Blacktron II Logo Pattern

for the outside. See attached photo.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Tim

@joshhall, if you can bring the loose gray brick and plate for [Tim] with you to teardown at Children’s Festival on Sunday, then I can take it from there to Cranberry Library.

If the LUG has a decent supply of orange brick as well (any basic brick but the smaller the better – 1×1 being the best) that would be most helpful for the Cranberry Library display also. Thank you!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> If the LUG has a decent supply of orange brick as well (any basic brick but the smaller the better – 1×1 being the best) that would be most helpful for the Cranberry Library display also. Thank you!

Space lava? Cause if you need space lava, I’m pretty sure I have all the space lava you need.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Are we able to and do we want a hanging ship or two? I have many Space Police sets that can be contributed to the display if needed. I also have the entire miners collection. Those green and orange colors are cool and could be “spacey” if we had some sorta underground mining area. Plus…rock monsters!

Also, @timf, is there a theme? Like “Libraries Rock” last year? It was cool to have that displayed in force last year in the building and minifigures and the theme carried to the hanging notes and guitars. Space is cool….but should it follow a certain theme?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

underground mining area.

Yes, we should make a shelving system that can go inside the display case for multi-tiered display purposes.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

underground mining area.

Yes, we should make a shelving system that can go inside the display case for multi-tiered display purposes.

I do not have the brick for rock work or anything. I can loan my time out though to help put it together.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I am thinking I can quickly put together 3 alien invasion ships maybe? What is space without some neighborly UFO visitors?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am thinking that the shelving should be made of wood not LEGO products.

Josh
    Keymaster

You wood.

Josh
    Keymaster

I am thinking that the shelving should be made of wood not LEGO products.

Those sound awesome. Do them!

I packed up some bags of bricks and plates to be used as filler too, so you can take ownership of those at install or get them from children’s festival before if you like too.

Josh
    Keymaster

Just FYI for Summer 2019 display: “The theme for 2019 is Space- A Universe of Stories.”

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Looking at the floor plan, if it were entirely my responsibility to provide shelving for this display, it would be something like 30″ x 20″ black plastic molded shelves with round supports. This would NOT cover the floor by any means, but it would allow for building multiple levels.

Tim

Space lava? Cause if you need space lava, I’m pretty sure I have all the space lava you need.

Yes, space lava. I want to surround my rocket base with space lava, which can be tapped to power the rocket(s).

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Here’s some stuff from Ben:

– When we get closer to time we should contact the library and see when the case will be empty and how soon we can get in it (in the past they have been flexible on that, so if we ask for it empty a day early, they’ll probably say yes). If I can get in before the install day, I can make another attempt to measure the case, since my previous attempts have failed for various reasons that aren’t worth detailing here.

– I still have my fishing line, washers, and eye hooks for hanging stuff, as well as experience in tying and balancing stuff, although I haven’t done it in quite a few years. I haven’t been to the library in awhile but I would guess that the wood structure for hanging stuff is still up there. If we’re gonna hang a significant number of items, it’s way easier to do that first, and so that might be something to do a day or two early if we can get it arranged. It also occurred to me that the vehicles I have from the SWR Nexo Knights display could all work as flying space vehicles, if we have space to fill. I’m not sure I know where the pig is.

– I have space lava, in the form of trans-orange cheese. I would say that I have a giant container of it, but that’s no longer true after I discovered that it generates enough weight that I could no longer pick it up. So I have three smaller containers of it. I definitely have more than you will need. Space lava!

– “The theme for 2019 is Space- A Universe of Stories” I had thought about this too. If anybody has something based on a real sci-fi book, that would certainly fit. We can always put a sign in the window though, something about how none of the scenes are from real books, but if the viewer were to turn it into a story, how would they do it?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

If anybody has something based on a real sci-fi book, that would certainly fit.

I can put Martians around my space station and say that it is from the Martian Chronicles by Rad Bradbury. 🙂

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

If anybody has something based on a real sci-fi book, that would certainly fit.

I can put Martians around my space station and say that it is from the Martian Chronicles by Rad Bradbury. />

I am trying to pull off an “Alien Invasion” area for the display….not sure how it will come together. Will need 2-3 baseplates to do it. Something like the picture with the large dish only using the Lego set https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=98892#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0} as the big ship. I am trying to light up a tube of trans-blue cylinders with LEDs under that ship. then have some walkers on the ground https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=98886#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}. Not sure how it will all come together but I am hopeful it will be good.

IS this OK with everyone?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Jim Rolfe.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Jim Rolfe.
    Attachments:
    Jim Rolfe
    Participant

@timf, I may need the entire space near the door. That is like 3 baseplates I think if you think that is OK?

Also, do we know how we are running power? I think the plug is on the ceiling? Do we have a way to transfer that to the floor and then hide the wires/plugs?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

IS this OK with everyone?

Any plan sounds good, this would be cool to see! 🙂 Will this be based on the book War of the Worlds?

Good idea to use LED’s; Jim’s questions about electricity are definitely relevant.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar