2019 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Home Forums LUG discussions 2019 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Tim

Just FYI for Summer 2019 display: “The theme for 2019 is Space- A Universe of Stories.”

I wanted to go ahead and get a thread going for this. The basics are that set up will likely be Saturday, June 1, 2019. Tear down would be approximately Saturday, August 31, 2019.

I would love to really fill up the display case. I will go ahead and propose the idea of a Moon (or extra-planetary) base, something along the lines of this: https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/01/17/a-planet-sized-classic-space-layout-thats-overflowing-with-incredible-rovers-and-spaceships/ I was building the Saturn V set and started thinking about what if the United States had not abandoned the Moon after the Apollo missions but had instead continued and eventually colonized the moon as a jumping off point to other planets? Then I started thinking about building a Saturn V launch pad for a moon base. The base could (and should) also extend underground with the “surface” being about a foot or so above the floor of the dsplay case. We could incorporate some lighting for the underground sections as the case now has access to electrical outlets (and put the lights on a timer).

Hope that gets some creative thoughts flowing. I’m excited to hear other’s ideas.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

DIG Into Reading: ON THE MOON?!?!

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I could probably build an alien monster if that fits what we end up doing 😛

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Tim, the build that you referenced is fantastic, and the fact that they built the inside, would play to the strengths of this display which allows people to view from all sides.

Can Tom’s mosaic be incorporated into the build … like a jumbotron against the back wall?

Tim

DIG Into Reading: ON THE MOON?!?!

Exactly!

Can Tom’s mosaic be incorporated into the build … like a jumbotron against the back wall?

That would be very cool. I was also thinking of building a “black sky” using the 5000 1×4 black bricks I got from last year’s LUGBULK and use that to cover up the small wall of corkboard in the case. Another possible use for Tom’s mosaic would be to put in one of the front display cases or in the display case out in the main hallway outside the Library as a teaser/advertisement to come in and see the display. It could even go in in April or May as an advance teaser for the pending display. I’d need to talk to the Library people about the availability of the front cases to use (presuming Tom is willing to lend his mosaic for this).

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I mean, Space is great and all, but maybe we should just do Penguins

Tom Frost
    Participant

subbed

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Just to clarify, the color scheme is limited to yellow, blue, white, black, trans-yellow and just about any shade of gray, correct?

Also, here is a 2015 version of the floor plan that Ben made: https://i2.wp.com/www.steelcitylug.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Cranberry-Library-display-case-v1.2.jpg

Dan Efran
    Participant

Yes please!

Classic Space Moonbase is my go-to genre. I have a few small installations and vehicles already built that would blend well with the example Tim linked to, and I’m always happy to build more of that stuff.

Micro Moonbase

Going below the surface is a delightful idea.

For the ‘black sky’, throw in a scattering of trans-clear dots for stars, and maybe a few brackets to hold flying ships. Toss an Earth in the corner if you’re feeling ambitious.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I just completed something that ALMOST fits the classic space color scheme and definitely fits with mining the moon. Its probably not going to fit the display unless we build a shelf system for the display case.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Just to clarify, the color scheme is limited to yellow, blue, white, black, trans-yellow and just about any shade of gray, correct?

we can go Classic Space but I don’t think we’re necessarily limited to that.

@erunaamo
    , love the space base module. Yes, I was thinking using a mixture of trans clear and white 1×1 round plates (dots) to break up the black. Maybe add in a nebula or a planet as well.

Dan
    Participant

I may be able to put something small in!

Krista K

I have a monorail (6990) that at last check was still functional. If that works, I’m happy to contribute.

Josh
    Keymaster

I just completed something that ALMOST fits the classic space color scheme and definitely fits with mining the moon. Its probably not going to fit the display unless we build a shelf system for the display case.

I like this thing.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I like this thing.

It is called a bucket wheel excavator and its a technic set with almost 4,000 pieces. I bought it to learn how to do technic. Its like learning a new language, very few of the parts are what you would find in a Creator set. If its something that the LUG would seriously consider using in a display, I will store it mostly assembled.

Tim
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

another space/moon display

They might have used the “moon base standard” to join two sections, but its hard to tell.

And while I am thinking about it, does anyone know why meteors always land in craters?

Bob Grier
    Participant

My latest MOC – for the “space” overhead at the Cranberry Library display this year. Trekkies will recognize. Designed it to be suspended so we can hang it from the overhead trellis in the display cabinet.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan
    Participant

Warbird! Looks great @rcgrier3406!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

It looks really good, but I did not know the name. Is it a Klingon vessel?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Also, here is a 2015 version of the floor plan that Ben made: https://i2.wp.com/www.steelcitylug.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Cranberry-Library-display-case-v1.2.jpg

I should point out that this diagram is not completely accurate. I have measured the case several times and revised the diagram a couple times but I never came up with one that fully worked out. (The last time I measured the case, in September 2015, I was convinced I had enough info to finally get it right, but I didn’t draw it out right away and I didn’t keep my notes organized enough, and when I finally came back to it, I couldn’t tell what was what.)

So… the floor plan might be useful for helping you come up with a general plan, but I wouldn’t get much more detailed than that. If I’m in town for tear-down this year, I can try and measure it again.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Is it a Klingon vessel?

Yup, Klingon Bird of Prey!

Tim

We’re about 8 weeks out. It’s time to start solidifying a layout plan and for people to start claiming space. Since the display case is irregular, we will also need some filler between the modules. We could just dump light and dark gray bricks or have small, wedge-shaped modules ready to insert. I’ve not heard any objections to a moon base layout, so let’s go with that. Based on comments in this thread, so far Greg has a large excavator (so there should be a mining area) and I am planning a rocket launch pad using the Saturn V (I’ve been thinking about doing an upscaled Alpha-1 Rocket Base, probably my favorite classic space set). Dan E. has a really neat outpost area built.

So start letting me know what you can contribute and how much space you will need!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The excavator was partially disassembled. I really hope that we will have MOC’s to fill the display cabinet rather than an oversized LEGO technic set. However, I am hoping to build a moon base structure. Are we planning to use the moon base standard or is that not a consideration?

Tim

Are we planning to use the moon base standard or is that not a consideration?

We certainly can use the Moonbase standard if that is what everyone wants to do. One potential downside would be that Moonbase generally contemplates a flat surface. I was hoping that we could get some “rolling terrain” in our display.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar