Brick Fest Live Pittsburgh 2021 Sept 11-12

Home Forums LUG discussions Brick Fest Live Pittsburgh 2021 Sept 11-12

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    Krista K

We’re about a month out from the event. We can talk more about this at Q3, but wanted to get a few things rolling before then.

For anyone who can’t make it but wants to display, I thought maybe we could set up North, South, East, and West drop-offs (kind of reverse of what we did for LUGBULK). I’m happy being a drop for the North, but if anyone else is available (from any direction) to load their cars, let me know.

Here’s the doodle for staffing. I did put some overlap between shifts so that there’s coverage during lunch.
    https://doodle.com/poll/4cagtqceuvhvdc6t?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link

Also, there’s still plenty of table space still available (hint hint @loganc @mrmain18 @amplef0rth @playingwithechoes @jcc117). The theme is Pittsburgh, but anything you want to bring is okay.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Will we have a town display with trains? Will there be sections with themes, like before when we had space, Harry Potter and winter sections.

In the past, someone has drawn up a LEGO layout/blueprint using “bluebrick” for big shows. Everyone who wants to display would have to know the amount of space that they will require using standard baseplates as a unit of measure. Is anyone able to organize the layout?

For planning purposes, the CARVANA tower (hopefully containing @zaximillian’s racecars) has a footprint of 2×2 standard baseplates.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Thanks to Covid, my trip that had been planned for this particular weekend has been canceled. Therefore, I am available for this event. At the very least, I could do some staffing.

I can also bring the Space Plants build, although it is not Pittsburgh-themed. I did see that Krista asked that everybody sign up on a spreadsheet by July 15, which was nearly a month ago, so if there’s no longer room for me, that’s fine. If we’re still short on material though, I can bring it. From reading through the thread, it looks like BFL is giving us less space than they did in July 2017, but I remember at that one they gave us a ton and things were sort of spread out to make sure the space was covered.

If I do bring the Space Plants build: it would be essentially the same as the version I took to BFVA a couple weeks ago (link at the end to a photo for anybody who hasn’t seen it yet). The footprint is 3 baseplates wide by 2 deep, it’s not designed to have anything behind it or in front of it, and it needs at least a 4″ to 6″ margin around it for presentation purposes. So, it basically takes up just under half of an 8′ banquet table. Again, if there’s not room for it, I’m not gonna make a big deal out of it. Unfortunately teardown at BFVA was a little chaotic and I’m not sure if I’ll have time between now and then to set it back up in my house and reorganize and then repack. So it’ll probably take me a couple hours to get it set up on site at the convention hall.

BFVA21 - Space Plants 1

Skipper Mike
    Participant

I can for sure send the Jungle Cruise I have now, it’s 2 baseplates. I’ll try to get the ride building done which would be another 1-2 baseplates. But don’t count on that, because life.

Krista K

In the past, someone has drawn up a LEGO layout/blueprint using “bluebrick” for big shows. Everyone who wants to display would have to know the amount of space that they will require using standard baseplates as a unit of measure. Is anyone able to organize the layout?

@greg
    It’s close to scale as I could get with the dimensions that were provided, but I have already pulled this layout together to see how much space we had: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lhuhTYSNNshm-B98rWKtXlXiRwJ90Roa5eO9N7jh96I/edit?usp=sharing

I can also bring the Space Plants build, although it is not Pittsburgh-themed. I did see that Krista asked that everybody sign up on a spreadsheet by July 15, which was nearly a month ago, so if there’s no longer room for me, that’s fine. If we’re still short on material though, I can bring it. From reading through the thread, it looks like BFL is giving us less space than they did in July 2017, but I remember at that one they gave us a ton and things were sort of spread out to make sure the space was covered.

@bengood921
    There’s plenty of room. So based on what the layout looked like in 2017 from the pictures, this should be somewhat bigger. In essence, they’re giving us a 40′ x 40′ space. Either way, I would love to have you!

I can for sure send the Jungle Cruise I have now, it’s 2 baseplates. I’ll try to get the ride building done which would be another 1-2 baseplates. But don’t count on that, because life.

@skippermike
    That’s awesome! Way to make that happen so quickly. 🙂

Tim

Here’s the doodle for staffing.

@knb112 I would suggest adding a “Set Up” shift for Friday afternoon (presuming that we are able to get in then). For most of the larger events we do, we allow for an extra shift for setting up. Otehrwise, the Doodle looks great. I like the overlap to allow for lunch coverage.

That would be me. I’ll start working on a Bluebrick using Krista’s Googledoc, which is a great start. And as always, we’ll wing it at the last minute and it will all come together magnificently. 😀

John S
    Participant

Also, there’s still plenty of table space still available (hint hint @loganc @mrmain18 @amplef0rth @playingwithechoes @jcc117). The theme is Pittsburgh, but anything you want to bring is okay.[/quote]

Oh man, getting called out! Unfortunately I will be in Vermont during this event.

Jordan
    Participant

Not sure how appropriate it is for the theme of the show, but I’d be willing to bring my model of Cape Hatteras lighthouse. Not exactly Pittsburgh themed, but I suppose it’s worth bringing up as a suggestion since it’s all I have. Given it’s about mini-figure scale, it’s about 4.5-5ft tall and takes up the space of about a 48×48 baseplate. Also, given the timeframe it would be more of a prototype/barely finished since I’d still need to complete the glass room on top. Just a suggestion

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Jordan, the lighthouse would be perfect for this show, the show may be held in Pittsburgh but the theme is LEGO! The lighthouse could be the centerpiece for a collaborative display with a beach, an ocean, some ships and maybe even some underwater creations that people are creating. We had a port display at the trolley museum one summer and parts of that which still exist might also be incorporated.

Krista K

@timf Thank you so much! I didn’t know that software existed. Looks pretty useful. 🙂 I’ll also add that shift on Friday for load-in once I confirm a time with Trisha.

@jcc117
    I echo @greg that while we’re adding some pieces with a Pittsburgh focus, the overall theme for the show is LEGO. Would love to have you there. 🙂

John S
    Participant

I’ll be traveling up to Vermont that weekend for vacation.

Jason Middaugh
    Participant

I talked to the family (after @Krista K pinged me) and we were thinking that this would be a lot of fun to drive down and display for the weekend (it has been so long since we have been able to do that!) I have met some of you in the past but I am looking forward to meeting more folks in the LUG as well! Our latest LEGO Ideas project is “It’s A Wonderful Life” and with Jimmy Stewart being from Indiana PA, I suppose it has a local tie. This year is the 75th anniversary of the movie too. We have some other stuff as well and could easily fill 2 tables, but I can definitely scale it to whatever size makes sense for the group. Just let me know.

Krista K

@twrt0es That’s awesome! Looking forward to having you join us. I have you in for 2 tables. 🙂

I heard back from Trisha and we can load in anytime between 10 am – 7 pm on Friday, September 10th. I updated the Doodle with 3 load-in times on Friday so that we know who’s going to be there and when. https://doodle.com/poll/4cagtqceuvhvdc6t?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link

Jason Middaugh
    Participant

We will be driving down on Friday, actually hoping to make a quick stop at the Jimmy Stewart Museum, and then could probably get to the Convention Center to setup around 5. We are going to stay at the Doubletree, which I think is a attached or very close.

Kevin
    Participant

As of right now, I will be out of town that weekend, but I can display a couple mosaics. They are each on a 48×48 baseplate. The Ninja Turtles might work best for this one.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Will McDine
    Participant

Wow I really haven’t been on the Forum in a while… Anywho, Krista, you can put me down for one whole table. I’ll have my mosaic which is quite large, plus my One world trade MOC. Any extra space I can fill with Fire Trucks/share with others. Also as far as set up on Friday I don’t know when I’ll be there, if I get a better idea I’ll let you know. And I’ll be there both Saturday and Sunday all day.

Krista K

@twrt0es That’s perfect! Let us know if you need anything.

@mrmain18
    That’d be awesome. We have space to display so I could save you a whole table or as much as you’d like to send. Are you coming to the Q3 meeting? If so, could you bring them with you? If not, we can figure out another way to get them.

@willmcdine
    I got you for a whole table, plus staffing both Saturday and Sunday. Keep us posted for load in, but so far it looks like someone will be there in the afternoon/evening.

Tim

Here is a preliminary Bluebrick layout, primarily to help determine space needs. This is based off of Krista’s original google doc. Locations of the different area can be changed easily. Let me know if I have missed anyone or if the space layouts need to be changed.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Hmm… is there a way to post a bigger image without WordPress complaining? It looks like there’s text on all the areas, but I can’t even begin to read them, and I can’t make the image any bigger.

Jordan
    Participant

I will be bringing my lighthouse then. Just ordered all the parts I need to finish it. Will the meeting on 8/28 cover what we need to do for setup?

Krista K

I will be bringing my lighthouse then. Just ordered all the parts I need to finish it. Will the meeting on 8/28 cover what we need to do for setup?

Yes, we’ll talk about the event at the meeting, but set-up will be on Friday, Sept 10. You can swing by anytime after 10 am. We just need to be out by 7 pm.

Tim

Geez, I did not even realize that it compressed so much it obliterated the text. I’ll see if I can play around with it and make it better. For now, here are the general area assignments (starting with the upper right corner in Blue):
    – BLUE – Tom Frost – Jurrasic Park, etc.
    – TAN – Jason Middaugh – “It’s a Wonderful Life”4
    – GREEN – Tim Freshly – Pittsburgh Buildings (Town)
    – GRAY – Bob Grier – Incline and Burgh Skyline
    – TAN – Greg (TBD)
    – BLUE – Will McDine – 9/11 Mosaic and Fire Trucks – Tim Freshly – World Trade Center
    – GREEN – Krista, Renee, etc. – Pac-Man mosaic, 8-Bit mosaics, Chickens, other misc. [the TMNT mosaics and Star Wars mosaics can also go here – make it a HUGE mosaic area]
    – GRAY – Will Whiteside – Space

Edit 1: OK, I think I figured out how to export at a higher resolution. Attaching here to see if it works.

Edit 2: Now the file size exceed he upload limit. So I am going to upload to Flickr and link that here.

Brickfest Live Pittsburgh 2021

Edit 3: Yay, that appears to have worked!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Tim.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Okay, that helps, thanks. It looks like I made a tactical error in not adding myself to the spreadsheet after Krista said there was still room for me, because I’m noticing that I am not included in the layout.

Krista K

@timf Thanks for pulling this together. Jordan just updated the spreadsheet last night.

@bengood921
    That was my fault. I don’t think my post went through asking how much space you needed (no pun intended). There is still room. How much table space do you need?

Tim

Okay, that helps, thanks. It looks like I made a tactical error in not adding myself to the spreadsheet after Krista said there was still room for me, because I’m noticing that I am not included in the layout.

This is a pretty big layout size and I just put together everything in giant blocks of space. There is going to be plenty of room for everyone who wants to bring something. @bengood921 I presume from your prior comments that you will bring the Space Plants. That should fit well in Will’s Space section.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar