Brick Fest Live Pittsburgh 2021 Sept 11-12

Home Forums LUG discussions Brick Fest Live Pittsburgh 2021 Sept 11-12

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant

Trisha from Open World emailed me today asking if we’re planning to participate in Brick Fest Live Pittsburgh Sept 11-12:

I’m reaching out to see if your LUG would be interested in displaying at Brick Fest Live Pittsburgh, at the Monroeville Convention Center, in September. The event will take place over the 11th and 12th and we would love for you to join us. Additionally,we will have our flagship event in Philly, at the Greater Philly Expo Center, over Oct. 2-3 as well and wanted to extend an invitation to both events.
    Let me know your thoughts and availability. I’m happy to jump on a call this week if you’d like to speak in more detail.

There is another thread discussing BFL, but given that was for last year’s I figured we should start a fresh one.

@knb112
    would you like me to direct Trisha to you? I don’t mind leading, but I know you had been talking with Chad about this.

As for participating I think we should as it’s a local event and it’s always fun. They usually ask those displaying to buy a ticket which I think we should push back on.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I will be out of town that weekend. I’m looking forward to seeing what everybody comes up with. I think the last time they came around was July 2017, and it was a fun one.

DSC_0727

(The photo is actually a link to Bob’s Flickr album of the event in 2017.)

Krista K

@randomdan If you could, that’d be great. I was going to follow up with him next week, but I might get better traction with Trisha. I’m happy to keep you in the loop if you’d like. 😊

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

There is another thread discussing BFL, but given that was for last year’s I figured we should start a fresh one.

Fresh thread = best thread! (especially keeping the dates in the thread title helps!!)

If you could, that’d be great. I was going to follow up with him next week, but I might get better traction with Trisha.

Chad’s a busy guy. Definitely worth trying Trisha! 😉

This is on my radar, for sure. It’s a fun and easy one, where we can display whatever we want, so long as we have enough interest to staff our display all weekend!

Tim

This is on my radar, for sure. It’s a fun and easy one, where we can display whatever we want, so long as we have enough interest to staff our display all weekend!

I concur. Definitely a good event and I am absolutely interested in participating.

Krista K

Had a really great call with Trisha today. She’s very organized (much like myself). I shared with her that we’d be looking to increase our footprint, especially since we’ve grown as a group since 2017. She’s pulling together the floorplan in mid-July and asked if we’d be able to pull together a closer estimate to how much space we’d need.

She also was very interested in what items we were bringing. She felt it would be really cool to see some Pittsburgh-based things. Immediately I thought of the Incline, the skyline, and the Mr. Rogers pieces, but I know we also have the bridge and probably a few other pieces I’m missing.

For my own benefit, I started a spreadsheet to be able to see what we really need and what we’re bringing. If you’re planning to display or just staff, take a minute to add the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NbBmXW0PB7C49WgYXaJE-YTIhuBZvdJ41733KoAJvLA/edit?usp=sharing

Please fill out by July 15. Thanks!

Krista K

Related, she also asked about the LUG’s participation at PBF this year. I updated the thread if you’re interested.

Bob Grier
    Participant

@knb112, I’m planning on participating, and can commit to bringing both the Duquesne Incline and the Pittsburgh Skyline. I filled out the Google spreadsheet with what space I’ll need. I added a footnote that if we want to run trains under the Incline, like we did at the last Ligonier Valley event, then we would need to go (2) deep on the 8′ x 30″ tables to handle the curves, and maybe more to handle the overall layout based on what others to decide to provide in terms of buildings to fill out the layout. Plus, we would need some additional 9V track, a speed controller, power supply and connection wire to power the track from the LUG stock.

Tim

spreadsheet

Is there a way to be able to upload a thumbnail picture of each MOC (similar to the image file for each element in the LUGBULK spreadsheet)? It would be cool to see what each MOC looks like.

Bob Grier
    Participant

spreadsheet

Is there a way to be able to upload a thumbnail picture of each MOC (similar to the image file for each element in the LUGBULK spreadsheet)? It would be cool to see what each MOC looks like.

@timf
    , I tried sticking a couple of “thumbnails” in of my MOC’s just to try it. Not the smoothest, but it worked. When I first did the cut and paste, a full sized image showed up, so I had to downsize each one to thumbnail size by dragging the corners. I also had to adjust the row height to cover each thumbnail. Google spreadsheets is not my forte, so if someone knows how to do this “the right way”, then please do!

Krista K

Excellent idea @timf! Thanks @rcgrier3406 for filling out the sheet already and taking a stab at the thumbnails. There’s actually a pretty easy way to do this in sheets. If you select Insert -> Image -> Image in Cell, it auto fits the image to the cell size. I’ve resized the rows so it should fit pretty consistently.

Tim

it auto fits the image to the cell size

Nice! Thank you. Now I need to fill out the sheet and find pictures. 😛

It also occurred to me that September 11 is the 20th Anniversary of 9-11. Any thoughts on putting together something for that? Maybe a Mosaic?

Krista K

It also occurred to me that September 11 is the 20th Anniversary of 9-11. Any thoughts on putting together something for that? Maybe a Mosaic?

I do think that @willmcdine had mentioned something about wanting to do something for the anniversary.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Krista K.
    Will McDine
    Participant

I do think that @willmcdine had mentioned something about wanting to do something for the anniversary.

I do already have a September 11th Mosaic. I am currently looking at better ways to display it. I am also looking at building something else for the anniversary, but I am not sure just yet if I can get it done. On a more specific note, I will be displaying at this. At a bare minimum my mosaic. I will also be there to staff the event both days. A Con seems like a good use of some PTO at work.

Will McDine
    Participant

At a bare minimum, this will be there. I also will be staffing both days.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Adam W
    Participant

Will, that mosaic is impressive.

I’d also like to participate. However, I don’t have anything Pittsburgh or America themed to contribute.

I have a few custom modular style buildings I’ve been working on. I just finished a corner tea shop as well as a dentist’s office if anyone else wants to put together a street.

Krista K

@awarb To clarify, the Pittsburgh theme is certainly a highlight, but please feel free to bring anything that you want to display. Apologies for any confusion. 🙂

Renée
    Participant

Me and my brood (chickens that is) will be there. I’m also planning on bringing my underwater (Q3 challenge) MOC. And maybe something else if I’m both inspired and productive LOL.

Attachments:
    Krista K

So, I need to connect back with Trisha this week. From what it looks like we’re currently around 3-4 8′ tables and looking at the picture I think we had closer to 16 in 2017. Worst case, I’ll put in for that again, but I know we were hoping to have a bigger footprint. Either way, it’s looking like we’re going to need to fill some tables to have a good showing.

Thank you @rcgrier3406, @awarb, and @legoleia51 for filling out the spreadsheet already. @willmcdine I added you in for staffing and your mosaic (perhaps more). @timf I know you mentioned you still needed to fill out the spreadsheet.

@bengood921
    I know you mentioned that you’ll be out of town, but is there anything that you’d like me to take for you?

@joshhall
    , @whitesidewjw, @greg, @philmatt24 I know that you had expressed interest in the past. Do you all have anything that you’d like to display? I don’t mind loading up my car if you aren’t able to staff.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Keeping in mind the nature of the show, we should have trains, monorails and/or trolleys running. I generally provide “snow-covered” buildings, which would be out of place in a summer show. However I do have a classic McDonalds that kids like seeing. And if we have Mr.Rogers’ trolley running, I can contribute King Friday’s castle. Finally I have some Euro-themed buildings that can go with a Hogwarts Express if Bob is creating an HP zone.

The CARVANA tower mentioned earlier in this thread is still a possibility, but it might be better to save it until @zaximillian is available to show off his amazing fleet of racecars.

Attachments:
    Krista K

The CARVANA tower mentioned earlier in this thread is still a possibility, but it might be better to save it until @zaximillian is available to show off his amazing fleet of racecars.

@greg
    I think that was mentioned in the Greenberg Train Show – Monroeville PA – July 24-25 thread. I know @zaximillian mentioned he’s unable to attend BrickFest, but if you need cars for it, I do have the whole line of Speed Champions that I could start putting together.

Krista K

@greg
    I think that was mentioned in the Greenberg Train Show – Monroeville PA – July 24-25 thread. I know that @zaximillian is unable to make it to BrickFest. However, I have the full line of Speed Champions with more on the way if that would work.

Krista K

I think that was mentioned in the Greenberg Train Show – Monroeville PA – July 24-25 thread. I believe that Rich is unable to make BrickFest and wasn’t planning on displaying. However, I do have the whole line of Speed Champions with more on the way. They might fit the dimensions if we need something to fill it up.

Krista K

I think that was mentioned in the Greenberg Train Show thread. I believe that Rich is unable to make BrickFest and wasn’t planning on displaying. However, I do have the line of Speed Champions with more on the way. The older ones are 6 studs wide. Anything after 2020 looks like it is now 8 studs wide.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Krista K.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Oops, my bad, I thought this pertained to the Greenberg’s train show, which I cannot attend.

Yes I will be happy to bring a carload of stuff to Brickfest, including the tower … if I can get it out the door. 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar