Brick Fest Live Pittsburgh 2021 Sept 11-12

Home Forums LUG discussions Brick Fest Live Pittsburgh 2021 Sept 11-12

Viewing 23 posts - 201 through 223 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    Krista K

@twrt0es That was an excellent article. I have it scheduled to go out tomorrow. Hopefully, you get a few more votes! ๐Ÿ™‚

@timf
    I thought it was just me being bad at math. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Krista K

Hopefully this time have everything right, but please double-check and let me know if I need to make any adjustments. It should include display and shifts for staffing, setup, and teardown.

** I moved this list from the previous post to avoid any confusion with multiple lists**

@awarb
    – 2.5 (1 display, 2 shifts, set-up) *first-time displayer

Andrew K. – 3.5 (1 display, 4 shifts, teardown) *first-time displayer

@ladylego83
    – 2 (4 shifts)

@rcgrier3406
    – 4 (1 display, 4 shifts, set-up, teardown)

@digivolution
    – 1 (1 display)

@greg
    – 3 (1 display, 2 shifts, set-up, teardown)

@twrt0es

@legobear79
    – 3.5 (1 display, 4 shifts, teardown)

@jcc117
    – 3.5 (1 display, 4 shifts, teardown) * first-time displayer

@joshhall
    – 2 (1 display, 1 shift, teardown)

@kbrinser
    – 2 (1 display, 1 shift, teardown) * first-time displayer

@kacierno
    – 2.5 (1 display, 2 shifts, teardown)

@knb112
    – 3.5 (1 display, 3 shifts, setup, teardown)

@loganc
    – 3.5 (1 display, 4 shifts, teardown)

@philmatt24
    – 1 (1 shift, teardown)

@pete

@zaximillian
    – 3 (1 display, 4 shifts)

@legoleia51

@legolord82
    – 2 (4 shifts)

@timf
    – 2.5 (1 display, 1 shift, setup, teardown)

@whitesidewjw

@willmcdine

@tcsbgdady
    – 1 (1 display)

@tfdesigns
    – 1 (1 display)

@mrmain18
    – 1 (1 display) * first-time displayer

@skippermike
    – 1 (1 display)

@wd412
    – 1 (1 display)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Krista K. Reason: Adjusted Rich's total
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

This list makes me think that I need a COOL @name, like …

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I just finished the Trib article. It was good, but I’m not sure who told him that our name is Steel City Lugs, and that Lugs is an acceptable way to refer to the group. (To me, Lugs sounds like the nickname of a mechanic on an 80’s television show.) Especially since I notice he did in fact include our website in the article, and it’s correctly spelled without an s.

Also: >> Brick Fest participants had an opportunity to buy sets that were not in stores

Really? Like what? Anything good? I also saw at the end of the article, Chad claimed attendance of nearly 8000 over the weekend, which is pretty impressive for an event that size, especially given the current situation.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

yes, your are correct.

Curse my poor math skills.

…and English skills, apparently… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Josh
    Keymaster

…Iโ€™m not sure who told him that our name is Steel City Lugs, and that Lugs is an acceptable way to refer to the group.

Also: >> Brick Fest participants had an opportunity to buy sets that were not in stores
    Really? Like what?

This 2 comments are related in that they reflect the same “knowledge” source. The only rationale that could be used is if the LEGO store had something out of stock. Otherwise, it was essentially an official LEGO store (per my conversation with Chad) and prices were the same (per my conversation with @legolord82)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Brick Fest participants had an opportunity to buy sets that were not in stores

I ain’t never seen none of them legos in Giant Iggle …

but yes the prices were the same as LEGO retail EXCEPT for CMF’s that were selling for $6.99! I think some of them are no longer available elsewhere.

Rich Millich
    Participant

@knb112: I was only there from 1pm to 5pm on Sunday, and did not participate in teardown.

Rich Millich
    Participant

I want one of those unicorns, @rcgrier3406. Or, more ambitiously, a galloping and wing flapping PEGASUS.

I like the Pegasus idea @zaximillian, kind of a kinetic mash-up of the Unicorn and Hedwig if you will. Iโ€™ll give it a shot!!

All right, @rcgrier3406. I’ll also say this: slightly separated pinions on the wings, moving much slower than the galloping action, might look elegant and strong at the same time.

This is a gearing problem that I wouldn’t even know how to approach. I’d be excited to learn how all this would work… and maybe learn to not be afraid of LEGO gears and moving parts!

New thread perhaps?

Rich Millich
    Participant

@rcgrier3406: New thread for a flying kinetic Pegasus MOC perhaps? I’d love to see how you’d approach and refine this. Graceful, slow wing motions and galloping hooves might look strong and elegant at the same time!

I wouldn’t know where to start on this idea, but it sounds like you’re 2/3 of the way there already with the MOCs you already showed at Brick Fest Live!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Krista K

@zaximillian Thanks for letting me know. I adjusted your credit. ๐Ÿ™‚

Steve
    Participant

The displays were AWESOME!

However, as a first-time attendee, it was a disappointing experience given the price of tickets (I know the group has nothing to do with this). We paid $50 for two tickets in the cheapest time slot (Sunday afternoon). I was shocked that there was only one vendor selling stuff. I was expecting something more like Toyapolooza in the other section of the convention center.

Has anyone else attended Brick Fest Live events in the past or in other locations? Was it the same thing? Expensive tickets and no/few vendors? Are there better LEGO shows to attend?

I don’t want to end on a down note so I will repeat what I started with – the displays were AWESOME! ๐Ÿ™‚

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Hey Steve, this is different from how it has been before. It appears that they were getting wholesale merchandise directly from LEGO this year, so it seems that there might have been a legal matter that no other vendors were invited / allowed.

LEGO events like this in Pittsburgh are very infrequent, but if you are willing to drive to Virginia, Toronto, New Jersey, Philly or Chicago you can find more vendors.

Having said that, you now belong to a LUG with dozens of people with unusually large supplies of LEGO products; the LUG can be another way to get what you are interested in locally rather than searching retail stores. ๐Ÿ™‚

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Steve,

This was definitely underwhelming vs. the last time BFL was in PGH (201…8? 17? I forget.)

It’s hard to say what all contributed to that – one big one is COVID restrictions reducing how many interactive areas they could have. They used to have a build-a-racecar and Pinewood Derby style track, for one thing, and video game stations. This year it was one free-build pit and the big MARVEL/DC mosaic, which was complete by the time I got there Sunday so not even an option for attendees that day to participate in. At least, I assume COVID is why they didn’t have more hands-on stuff (which used to be a huge draw for the kiddos!)

Vendors – we heard rumors, but not confirmation, about why they weren’t there. Sounds like at least some will be at Philly BrickFest (BFL’s home-base convention) in October.

Other LUGs/AFOLs – BFL doesn’t quite follow the model of the big AFOL conventions, where there’s a TON to draw the LUGs and AFOLs (private days/nights to set up, hang out, do build challenges, buy the best stuff from vendors before the public gets at it, etc.) Philly BrickFest is a bit closer to that model.

Even GlowZone was a bummer – previous years, it was huge, with a ton of displays inside, and with signage indicating what it was. This year, it was one 10×10 tent with black curtains, no signage, and I bet a lot of attendees didn’t even notice it to pop in and see the one glowing build inside.

Getting some LEGO Masters contestants for appearances was really the saving grace, but 30 seconds talking to each Master probably doesn’t make up for the rest of the show being a letdown.

All in all, I think the consensus of our members in attendance (at least the ones I talked to) is that we’ll keep an eye on things and some of us will still go to Philly / attend and display if they come back to the Burgh next year. But we were disappointed at the drop in quality and value, and lack of vendors, and while it’s still fun to display there, some of us may prioritize other events if BFL doesn’t rebound in the future.

BUT YES, our display was awesome, and it was great to see such a large contingent – and especially to meet some new people!

Steve
    Participant

LEGO events like this in Pittsburgh are very infrequent, but if you are willing to drive to Virginia, Toronto, New Jersey, Philly or Chicago you can find more vendors.

Greg,

Thank you for the insight. It sounds like we’ll have to make the trip to VA or Philly next time. As far as vendors goes, my son and I were more interested in minifigure vendors that we find at other toy fairs/shows. I’m not sure if the minifigures they sell are legal/official LEGO products which may be why they weren’t at BFL.

~Steve

Steve
    Participant

Matt,

Thank you for the insight. It sounds like the Philly show is the one to attend in the future.

~Steve

Greg Schubert
    Participant

There will be vendors with minifigs at the train show in the fall, but those will be fake. At LEGO festivals they are usually real. Most of the fake figs look like the real thing, the only difference is that the LEGO name has been removed from the molds.

Krista K

@eowyn89 My family and I have been displaying at Philly since 2015. However, this year I’m expecting it to be not to much different from Pittsburgh due to COVID restrictions. I do know that there will be 3rd party vendors there, but not sure who all will be coming this year. I attached the list from 2019.

I’ve run delivery for people in the past, so if there’s something you’re looking for and don’t want to make the drive, just let me know.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Steve
    Participant

Krista,

Thank you for sharing the list of vendors. I won’t need anything right now (we just dropped a bunch of $$$ on home remodeling projects), but I’ll keep your offer in mind next time.

~Steve

Krista K

@eowyn89 Anytime! We never really “need” anything, and that usually doesn’t stop us. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Tim

All:

I have entered all* of the redemption credits, per the above list from Krista. Please let me know if there are any problems. Thank you.

* except for Andrew K – he does not have a username and thus does not show up on the Redemption List (@knb112 @joshhall)

Krista K

@legobear79 Do you know Andrew’s username?

Tim

I have entered Andrew’s credits for Brick Fest Live. @jerryformal @knb112

Thank you @legobear79

Viewing 23 posts - 201 through 223 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar