[ES] Summer 2018 Display – PA Trolley Museum – June 22-24

Home Forums LUG discussions [ES] Summer 2018 Display – PA Trolley Museum – June 22-24

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Hannah Arnold wrote:
    I found this thread by searching “plywood”

Dang, Greg beat me to it. #CleverGirl

I should’ve thought of “plywood” but… I’m not getting paid enough to work that hard for the LUG any more. 😛

So anyway, @timf, here’s an answer:

For the legs I used 2″ PVC cut to 30″ long with with 4 couplings installed in each corner of the table. I then drilled pilot holes through the couplings so they didn’t shatter and screwed them in from each corner. originally I planned on mitering a small piece to reinforce the couplings in the corner, but I didn’t account for those in my original purchase and ran out of 1x3s before I could finish.

I didn’t re-read the whole thread, though. It’s possible that Laura’s legs and the legs we made together are different lengths. o_O

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Hannah Arnold wrote:
    I found this thread by searching “plywood”

Dang, Greg beat me to it. #CleverGirl

I should’ve thought of “plywood” but… I’m not getting paid enough to work that hard for the LUG any more. 😛

So anyway, @timf, here’s an answer:

For the legs I used 2″ PVC cut to 30″ long with with 4 couplings installed in each corner of the table. I then drilled pilot holes through the couplings so they didn’t shatter and screwed them in from each corner. originally I planned on mitering a small piece to reinforce the couplings in the corner, but I didn’t account for those in my original purchase and ran out of 1x3s before I could finish.

I didn’t re-read the whole thread, though. It’s possible that Laura’s legs and the legs we made together are different lengths. o_O

Josh
    Keymaster

* If those are both correct, that means we still have six full LUG tables to fill with London and Diagon Alley buildings and roads, right?

Mostly correct. I am planning on building two 20″ x 40″ tables this weekend and cutting shorter legs. Those two “half-tables” can be the river and will allow the roadbed of the bridge to match up with the top of the regular LUG tables.

@joshhall, precisely how long are the standard LUG table legs?

28.5 inches.

Pete
    Participant

I am going to have the tower bridge on a base of 128 studs by 32 studs.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

I made a 1 baseplate city “park” last night, it’s got sidewalks on all 4 sides, t pattern, corners fenced with a fountain/statue in the middle that figs can walk around. (think like that park area near the benedum, almost more pavement than green) I’ll post a pic tonight but I’ll start building a modular park that can fit in wherever is needed, thinking 4 baseplates at it’s biggest but can possibly standalone with 2 baseplates.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I am going to have the tower bridge on a base of 128 studs by 32 studs.

@pete, how high off of the water level is the roadway bed for your Tower Bridge? Just thinking about whether we should depress the river in this area like Tim is doing for his Knight’s Bus Bridge.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I made a 1 baseplate city “park” last night, it’s got sidewalks on all 4 sides, t pattern, corners fenced with a fountain/statue in the middle that figs can walk around. (think like that park area near the benedum, almost more pavement than green) I’ll post a pic tonight but I’ll start building a modular park that can fit in wherever is needed, thinking 4 baseplates at it’s biggest but can possibly standalone with 2 baseplates.

Sounds good @hannah133. I’m sure we’ll have places to fill in, and these parks will work great for that.

Ministry of Magic (exterior) is nearly complete. Just a few more pieces coming in later this week to finish it off, then I’ll post a picture. It’s 2 full baseplates for planning purposes.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’ve been following along on this thread. Are we in danger of not having 10 people involved? Frost @tfdesigns discussed doing a space display. The only thing I have to contribute, if you think you’ll need stuff to help fill out the display, is the small vehicles (four total) and robots that I built for the SWRandall’s display. If they’re wanted, you’ll have to decide quickly, I will be out of town from tonight til Sunday, and then again from Tuesday til setup day for the event, so I will need to drop them off at Frost’s house this coming Monday.

Tim

The only thing I have to contribute, if you think you’ll need stuff to help fill out the display, is the small vehicles (four total) and robots that I built for the SWRandall’s display.

We can always use trees and greenery, Lord of Flora. 🙂

I think we are fine on participants: myself, Bob, Hannah, Frost, Ben, Pete, Phil, Greg, Mike, Laura, and Sean all have mentioned within this thread contributing. So that is 11. Josh and Matt have also participated in the thread but not confirmed contributing builds. Of course this will also require staffing so more can participate there also.

Neil Tannyan
    Participant

I also want to contribute. Have been busy travelling with work lately but am home for the next few weeks. I’m just not sure how or what to contribute.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I also want to contribute. Have been busy travelling with work lately but am home for the next few weeks. I’m just not sure how or what to contribute.

Neil @legoman270, I know we were hoping to incorporate a bunch of the buildings you posted pictures of last month as part of downtown London portion of the Harry Potter/Diagon Alley display. Hannah @hannah133 did an initial layout a few weeks ago (posted earlier in this thread), and showed like 10 baseplates worth of your buildings. I expect the layout will continue to evolve between now and set-up day, but I’d plan on bringing as many as you want to bring and we’ll find a place for them.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Attempted head count for Summer Trolley, in order of posting in the thread.

1. Laura
    2. Greg
    Matt (subbed)
    3. Tim
    4. Bob
    5. Hannah
    6. Ben
    7. Tom
    8. Skipper Mike
    9. Niel
    10. Pete
    Sean ?
    11. Phil
    Josh ?
    12. Ben

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m gonna assume from Greg’s list that he thinks I’m so awesome that I actually count as two people, even though I doubt this was really his intent.

And in fact I’m only on the list if somebody actually agrees to take my stuff down and set it up.

>> We can always use trees and greenery, Lord of Flora.

Again, I can send a box of stuff along if somebody specifically says they plan to use it and will set it up and bring it back, and that I have a way to get it down there. I expect to not be in town on setup day, not be available on that Saturday, and so I wasn’t planning on showing up at the museum at all.

Bob Grier
    Participant

And in fact I’m only on the list if somebody actually agrees to take my stuff down and set it up.

>> We can always use trees and greenery, Lord of Flora.

Again, I can send a box of stuff along if somebody specifically says they plan to use it and will set it up and bring it back, and that I have a way to get it down there. I expect to not be in town on setup day, not be available on that Saturday, and so I wasn’t planning on showing up at the museum at all.

Ben @bengood921, I know we’ll be able to use some of your “greenery” in the Harry Potter/London display, along the river at a minimum, and probably in other places as well. So, I’ll be glad to get it down there, set it up, take it down and bag it the way you want, and then get it back to you. Pretty sure you said earlier that you’re not going to be in town this Saturday for the Cranberry Library set-up, and that Monday is probably the only day for a drop-off/pick-up before this event. So, if you can drop it off with Tom Frost @tfdesigns, then great. If not, let me know and I can meet you somewhere on Monday.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Ben, your trees would also be a huge help spread across my parks because as I’ve recently discovered, I can’t build trees to save my life ? (really they’re awful). So like Bob said, we can definitely make use of them in and around the entire display!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Attempted head count for Summer Trolley, in order of posting in the thread.

1. Laura
    2. Greg
    Matt (subbed)
    3. Tim
    4. Bob
    5. Hannah
    6. Ben
    7. Tom
    8. Skipper Mike
    9. Neil
    10. Pete
    Sean ?
    11. Phil
    Josh ?

I’m not sure I have anything useful to contribute to the display, but there’s a decent chance I’ll be able to staff a shift. Looks like we’ll hit our 10 easily, though, which is nice.

Tom Frost
    Participant

the small vehicles (four total) and robots that I built for the SWRandall’s display.

If you are sending trees and stuff, I will find a place for these also.

if you can drop it off with Tom Frost

Unfortunately, I will be away from 6/10 til 6/16, so other arrangements will have to be made @rcgrier3406

as I’ve recently discovered, I can’t build trees to save my life

The struggle is real.

Frost discussed doing a space display

I’m still planning on this. I will start laying this out when I get back. I’m hoping @arcadiumsol and @whitesidewjw will have some things also. Are there going to be 3-4ish LUG tables left for this? Or should I plan on banquet tables @laura? Does the museum have ropes if we have to use banquet tables (in lieu of sneeze guard)?

In other news: the zoo progresses…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Sean Collins
    Participant

Yeah im trying to get the mining site finished for this event. Its mils’ed so it can lock in

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

The zoo is great especially the terracing to make it easier to see everything. I think you should put one warg in the petting zoo.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

In other news: the zoo progresses…

They… they have Wargs at the zoo…? o_O

Greg Schubert
    Participant

the mining site

The mining site looks good too. What is that evil thing creeping down from the back? Yikes!

Tom Frost
    Participant

Yeah im trying to get the mining site finished for this event. Its mils’ed so it can lock in

Looks great. I have not MILSed the space display. We can make a transition though. If you have time, you could build a landing pad for the Sparrow. When we get back from our trip, you’ll have to come over and we can mock up how things will fit together.

They… they have Wargs at the zoo…? o_O

Fun > Realism

especially the terracing to make it easier to see everything.

It has a tunnel through the back for the trains to pass through too.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Fun > Realism

I was more worried about a situation like this…

That sounds lame and bad.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

i LIKE that idea. 🙂

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

i LIKE that idea.

Juuuuust to be clear, I think it’s rad, too. I was merely beating the dead horse of the tunnel joke, but hopefully in a slightly new way… #itsgonnacatchasecondwind!

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 168 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar