[ES] Summer 2018 Display – PA Trolley Museum – June 22-24

Home Forums LUG discussions [ES] Summer 2018 Display – PA Trolley Museum – June 22-24

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

So summer is rapidly approaching, yay! That means I need to get my butt in gear and start planning for the summer display at the Trolley Museum.

This year is going to be a bit different as it will be the return of “Trolley Fair”. This year the museum has invited us to use as much space as they have available to set up as many displays as we like. The themes do not matter, if you want display space pirates versus water ninjas, so be it. I would like to try and get PennLUG involved, possibly OhioLUG if they’re interested and Josh has already been in contact with the “brickseum” guy in Ohio. This would all hopefully be in promotion of a possibly LEGO-centric display that would be planned for 2019 – BRIXTRAVAGANZA.

Setup will be on Friday, June 22 with the display running Sat-Sun the 23rd & 24th from 10am-5pm. Cleanup will be afterward on Sunday. Last year we did a large “Ocean” display with a harbor, beach, tall ships, lighthouse and debuted the ravine. I’m up for ideas this year, but I wouldn’t mind doing something along similar lines.

And before you ask…
    Doodle > https://doodle.com/poll/vn2e26tht42ffx8e

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by Laura.
    • This topic was modified 6 years ago by Matt Redfield.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Matt Redfield. Reason: added dates in thread title
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Friday, June 22 with the display running Sat-Sun the 23rd & 24th

sorry Bob, I’m not going to be around to help transport then

Laura
    Participant

Yes, “Trolley Fair” and summer trolley are the same thing. Sorry for the confusion.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

No time to think about this right now, but #subbed.

Tim

I’m moving this discussion from the Event Support Thread to this one since this portion of the discussion now related to the event itself and not the Event Support aspect.

laura, I’d be interested in “going big” with a large Harry Potter display for this event. Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, the works!! I just have to figure out how to get it all there, and then get it home afterwards! timf, hannah133, greg and others, any interest??

Yes, that works for me. What if we focused on London and Diagon Alley for the Summer and then featured Hogsmeade and Hogwarts for Pumpkin Trolley? We could even advertise at Summer Trolley that the display will shift to Hogsmeade/Hogwarts at Pumpkin Trolley. Give people something to come back for. We could then consider putting it all together (maybe even add in a small portion of the Forbidden Forest) at the November Greenberg show.

I definitely want to rework the Knight Bus Bridge and muggle London, adding in Grimmauld Place and maybe even Kings Cross Station.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Yes, that works for me. What if we focused on London and Diagon Alley for the Summer and then featured Hogsmeade and Hogwarts for Pumpkin Trolley? We could even advertise at Summer Trolley that the display will shift to Hogsmeade/Hogwarts at Pumpkin Trolley. Give people something to come back for. We could then consider putting it all together (maybe even add in a small portion of the Forbidden Forest) at the November Greenberg show.

I definitely want to rework the Knight Bus Bridge and muggle London, adding in Grimmauld Place and maybe even Kings Cross Station.

Sounds like the beginnings of a plan!! That works for me too. For Diagon Alley, I have Gringotts, Ollivanders, Flourish & Blotts, and now Borgin & Burke’s all as full buildings (not just store fronts). I’ve also expanded the buildings on either side of the Leaky Cauldron, so that “string” is now 3 full baseplates wide.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

For Diagon Alley, I have Gringotts, Ollivanders, Flourish & Blotts, and now Borgin & Burke’s all as full buildings (not just store fronts). I’ve also expanded the buildings on either side of the Leaky Cauldron, so that “string” is now 3 full baseplates wide.

Wow, I’ve got my work cut out for me this Spring just to keep up. That is looking great!

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Bob Grier wrote:
    laura, I’d be interested in “going big” with a large Harry Potter display for this event. Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, the works!! I just have to figure out how to get it all there, and then get it home afterwards! timf, hannah133, greg and others, any interest??

You know I’m always up for a HP collab 😀 Let me know what other buildings/items need built, the only HP project I was recently considering was a workable womping willow but that doesn’t reeeeaaalllyyy fit into the scenes discussed lol

Alternatively I could make some buildings for downtown London and we can use my Big Ben, that’s always a noticeable London building. Maybe beef it up a bit so it’s minifig scale. It’d be neat to do some river aspect so the bridge ya built for the knight bus gets to shine!

Bob Grier
    Participant

You know I’m always up for a HP collab ? Let me know what other buildings/items need built, the only HP project I was recently considering was a workable womping willow but that doesn’t reeeeaaalllyyy fit into the scenes discussed lol

Alternatively I could make some buildings for downtown London and we can use my Big Ben, that’s always a noticeable London building. Maybe beef it up a bit so it’s minifig scale. It’d be neat to do some river aspect so the bridge ya built for the knight bus gets to shine!

Lots of options Hannah! Big Ben would be a good addition, and would fit well next to the river. What about a Ministry of Magic building? Outside would need to be pretty non-descript, but a cut-a-way for the inside has a lot of possibilities.

Found this map of Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley, so lots of other shop options there too. Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes isn’t on this map. I know Tim has talked about building that at some point, but don’t know where he is on that.

Attachments:
    Tim

I could make some buildings for downtown London and we can use my Big Ben, that’s always a noticeable London building. Maybe beef it up a bit so it’s minifig scale. It’d be neat to do some river aspect so the bridge ya built for the knight bus gets to shine!

Great idea. A little more of London would be great. The current Riverfront is only two baseplates wide, so I will need to expand that by at least one baseplate, and probably more to accommodate Grimmauld Place and Big Ben. A Ministry of Magic (non-descript building) is also a great idea.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

What about the building that Bob designated as Kings Cross Station, would you want that as a generic building on the river?

Attachments:
    Tim

Yes, we can certainly work that in. What are its baseplate dimensions?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Laura, about the summer trolley museum display, I have a group of buildings that are white with red roofs. These include houses, a church, McD’s, and a pizza place. I was thinking about disassembling them, but wondered if you would want to use any of them for the summer trolley. What are your thoughts?

Hannah Dow
    Participant

a church

do I hear Westminster abbey?

I’m sure we could work any church into the London cityscape!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

do I hear Westminster abbey?

Thanks for the idea, but what I have is more of a country church. I’ll get a photo of all the buildings soon. 🙂

Hannah Dow
    Participant

So is the scope to do a harbor/beach area that morphs into a town area that ends up being london which then butts up against diagon alley? Or would the HP things be in a separate area? Just trying to think of a way it could all be cohesive if others wanted to contribute to other areas.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

harbor/beach area that morphs into a town area that ends up being london which then butts up against diagon alley

You sound like a Civil Engineer. 🙂 I like this question. Would it be possible for us as a LUG to collaborate using a shareable file that we can each edit online? You could start with one baseplate for each of the aforementioned areas and then each builder could edit the file showing the number of baseplates that their builds would occupy; it would be like a “bluebrick” (blueprint) that everyone could edit.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

buildings with red roofs that are potential demolition candidates

Attachments:
    Tim

I haven’t seen your McDonald’s since Matt and I took it to Cincy. I would keep that one. I thought the “fest haus” was going to make it onto the Christmas tree.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

McDonald’s … I would keep that one.

I agree. Its popular with kids.

I thought the “fest haus” was going to make it onto the Christmas tree.

You are right, the new improved version did. I might just change some colors of the original, definitely abandoning the red roof.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

buildings with red roofs that are potential demolition candidates

Wait, why do you need to free up all that red slope? If we do a Mars build, we’re going to have to invest in #alltheSandRed!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

#alltheSandRed

The colors in the photo might not be representative, ie. there are no sand red slopes in the photo.

Matt, shouldn’t you be working on your Brickheadz entry? 🙂

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

The colors in the photo might not be representative, ie. there are no sand red slopes in the photo.

What I was saying is, rather than reuse all those regular red slopes, we should invest in a rare and ludicrously expensive color. 😀

But srsly, you gonna reuse the brick for anything specific, or was it just “these buildings don’t meet my lofty standards of excellence?” 😛

Matt, shouldn’t you be working on your Brickheadz entry? ?

Of all the things I should be working on, that’s about thirty-twelfth on my list.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Good news! The LEGO city Historical Society caught wind of the planned demolition of McDonalds and was able to secure designation for the fast food restaurant as a historical landmark signed by Mayor Bill “Ding” Studuto. In addition, a generous grant from the Greeble Foundation supplied the funds for much need upgrades including a perimeter sidewalk, landscaping, a dumpster, roof reinforcement and random mechanical-looking parts.

Attachments:
    Tim

And no multi-colored curbsides. Great job Mayor (I though the mayor was Mayor McCheese)! Seriously, that looks great!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 168 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar