[ES] Summer 2018 Display – PA Trolley Museum – June 22-24

Home Forums LUG discussions [ES] Summer 2018 Display – PA Trolley Museum – June 22-24

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Tom Frost
    Participant

Methinks @tfdesigns meant to say #SPACETRAINS!!!

Well that will certainly be part of it. I am hoping some more spacers will also display.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

I have tower bridge and big ben

Would you like to bring these? if you bring your big ben I can focus on making other things instead of building it lol

I should be able to do a statue or two. Maybe for a traffic circle?

a traffic circle would be awesome! great thinking!

I’ve begun building a fleet of black cabs and I’ll start on a nice green space/park soon 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Would the traffic circle be made from four of those road baseplates that are a turn? Tiles can be added to make roads in and out of the circle itself.

So far I’ve only committed the building formerly known as Kings Cross station for the summer trolley display, but I am currently finishing a second London building that is about two baseplates wide, Festhaus 3.0.

Pete
    Participant

I have tower bridge and big ben

Would you like to bring these? if you bring your big ben I can focus on making other things instead of building it lol

I should be able to do a statue or two. Maybe for a traffic circle?

a traffic circle would be awesome! great thinking!

I’ve begun building a fleet of black cabs and I’ll start on a nice green space/park soon ?

I will bring both so you can focus on other builds.

Pete
    Participant

Cool a traffic circle. “Kids look Big Ben Parliment” i think i will go home and watch European Vacation.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Pete.
    Tim

Would the traffic circle be made from four of those road baseplates that are a turn?

I was thinking of brick building the road and putting the statue in the middle. @pete, you should totaling make the Griswold’s car from EV. “I can’t… GET… LEFT!”

And is anyone building a red phone box for the Public entrance to the Ministry of Magic? That would need to be on a fairly deserted side street. And if we really want to go deep, we could build an empty theater around the corner (where Harry, Ron and Hermione stash Mafalda Hopkirk after Hermione stuns her before breaking into the Ministry in Book 7 to recover the locket) – just saying.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Tim.
    Sean Collins
    Participant

if there is a space thing ill contribute. is there room for anything i’ve already built or should i build something new? i have no clue what the space looks like

Bob Grier
    Participant

And is anyone building a red phone box for the Public entrance to the Ministry of Magic? That would need to be on a fairly deserted side street.

You mean like this??!! Guess I need to build that non-descript Ministry of Magic building now!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Mafalda Hopkirk

geez, how you can remember the name of such an obscure character?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

if there is a space thing ill contribute. is there room for anything i’ve already built or should i build something new? i have no clue what the space looks like

Do both! If Laura’s really got all four of those areas reserved, we can basically build to infinity and beyond, and we’ll still not fill it. (Our Santa Trolley displays are typically on about… 15? LUG tables, in the Event Room, and the summer displays are typically a bit smaller in the main building. So we’ve got probably triple the total display space as previous events at the Trolley Museum…)

Hey @laura, you have tables for all this, assuming we have enough built to fill them? Cuz it seems we’ll run out of LUG tables pretty quickly…

Tim

I’ve read all the books multiple times and I looked it up just while posting just to make sure. But she is not totally obscure – she sends out the expulsion letter to Harry in Prisoner of Azkaban.

For 10 points, can anyone want to tell me the name of the other two Ministry of Magic employees that Ron and Harry impersonate while infiltrating the Ministry? I probably should exclude Hannah and Bob as the other big HP fans. 😛

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Lol Tim I think I can name just one, not both! We’ll give it some time if anyone else knows em.

@tfdesigns
    I’ve attached updated pics of my bumper cars if you want me to bring it. The way the sign is positioned and the height of it, it’d be a great back row (maybe corner) piece.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’ve read all the books multiple times

I so want to post the clip from Game of Thrones where Arya tells The Hound that Polliver killed Lommy, but The Hound has a pretty foul mouth and there are innocents on this forum…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Game of Thrones

The most recent TV series I watched was Cheers.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

So I was bored this evening, and call me #ambitious but I drew up a layout for the diagon alley/london/city area. 8 tables, not sure if that’s too big/too small. My idea is the Thames running thru the london area that way we can incorporate any water builds people may have too. If the blue is strict baseplate and then everything else is mils’d or raised 1 brick, we can get away with the idea of a deep river without exhausting parts by creating a cliff line. My roads were thrown in there haphazardly since i’m not sure if we’ll use baseplate road or brickbuilt (mix? does someone have lots of brickbuilt?) and yes, the shape of the river is 98% accurate to where tower bridge and big ben sit in relation to one another (i need friends)

Thoughts?

Attachments:
    Tom Frost
    Participant

I’ve attached updated pics of my bumper cars if you want me to bring it

Yes, please. It looks great @hannah133!

if there is a space thing ill contribute. is there room for anything i’ve already built or should i build something new?

I would really like to have a cohesive space landscape like we do with town/train (rather than just a collection of MOC’s on a table) I am trying to expand on what we had last year at Greenberg’s. I will have the spacetrain and a monorail (I scored some more track at an estate sale ((thanks @greg!)), tunnel, and assorted structures and rovers, etc. The landscape is light grey baseplate and dark grey rock formations. I would love to see more structures, landing pads with craft, etc. Once school lets out, I will probably start assembling a layout in my garage. I think @whitesidewjw was going to send some things also.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

and yes, the shape of the river is 98% accurate to where tower bridge and big ben sit in relation to one another (i need friends)

You had friends, then you doubled down on living in Ohio. 😛

I would really like to have a cohesive space landscape like we do with town/train (rather than just a collection of MOC’s on a table) I am trying to expand on what we had last year at Greenberg’s.

#GLOWZONE?!?!?!

tunnel

@pete
    , if you even say it…

Pete
    Participant

A glowzone with a curve in it. Cool

Hannah Dow
    Participant

You had friends, then you doubled down on living in Ohio. ?

lololol yea okay I walked right into that one 😛 but you’re not wrong. I am trying to learn new things to share with you guys from OhioLUG but it’s just not the same 🙁

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Joking aside, you gotta live your life. Work the job you enjoy / are good at, and don’t beat yourself up if what is enjoyable to you is to stay home drawing maps of LEGO displays all night. (Just, maybe don’t do it every night… 😉 )

Bob Grier
    Participant

So I was bored this evening, and call me #ambitious but I drew up a layout for the diagon alley/london/city area. 8 tables, not sure if that’s too big/too small. My idea is the Thames running thru the london area that way we can incorporate any water builds people may have too. If the blue is strict baseplate and then everything else is mils’d or raised 1 brick, we can get away with the idea of a deep river without exhausting parts by creating a cliff line. My roads were thrown in there haphazardly since i’m not sure if we’ll use baseplate road or brickbuilt (mix? does someone have lots of brickbuilt?) and yes, the shape of the river is 98% accurate to where tower bridge and big ben sit in relation to one another (i need friends)

Thoughts?

Hannah, this is a great start!! I agree that 8 tables is a good place to start planning for. We can always add more park space, or run some track into Kings Cross Station if we come up short on filling that.

For space planning purposes in Diagon Alley itself, here are the buildings I plan on bringing (so far):
    * Gringotts – 48×48 base plate, building MILS’d with 6 stud walkways on baseplate on either side.
    * Ollivanders – 32×32 base plate, MILS’d with 6 stud walkway in front and on left side.
    * Flourish & Blotts – 32×32 base plate, MILS’d with 6 stud walkway in front and on right side.
    * Borgin & Burkes – 32×32 base plate, MILS’d with 6 stud walkway in front and on left side.
    * Leaky Cauldron plus side buildings – (3) base plates wide, buildings are MILS’d, 24 studs deep including 4 stud walkway in front, plus 16 stud roadway in front (black tile on base plate).
    * For the display that I currently have set up (pic attached), I used 16×16 dark tan plates to simulate the cobblestones of the alley. I have a total of 10 of those if we want to use them.

Haven’t started it yet, but I also plan on doing a Ministry of Magic building to put the Phone Box entrance in front of.

From the amount of water in your layout, it looks like we could use a few boats on the water (like a tug boat, barges or maybe a river cruise boat) if others are looking for a way to participate.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Bob Grier.
    Attachments:
    Tim

I like the layout and it’s a great baseline document to build on (no pun intended). For Summer Trolley, however, I would suggest cutting out everything to the left of the water and “below” the water – basically have the river be the front edge and the left side edge. My reason for suggesting this is that the Knight Bus Bridge needs to sit down from the table level about 8 inches. I am planning on building two 1/2 tables (2×4 32 baseplate sized) with shorter legs to allow the “water” to sit lower. For the sides, we could either build riverbanks or simply use the dark green (or brown) cloth we already have.

I agree that a few boats in the river would be great.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

In addition to the building that has been referred to as King’s Cross station, I have completed a second building of similar size for the London section.

Attachments:
    Laura
    Participant

…you have tables for all this, assuming we have enough built to fill them? Cuz it seems we’ll run out of LUG tables pretty quickly…

Tables are going to be the biggest issue we have. The museum has about eight standard 8′ tables but we don’t really have many beyond that. For big events like this we generally rent some from the fairgrounds, if they’re available. I’ll look into that and see if it’s an option.

Also, after seeing everything you guys are coming up with for HP world, I’m thinking you might want to take the shop display area, it’s bigger than the education room with the only downfall being there’s no AC.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Laura.
    Laura
    Participant

Also, are we still planning on the Zoo? I just bought the leopard, mountain lion, tiger and bear (oh my!) figures so I can do something with those to make a display as well. I really dig this idea.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 168 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar